0 comments

Contemporary Funny Romance

With a drink in hand and the fire crackling on the grill, Holly was glad she decided to come to her best friend, Evelyn’s party. She wasn't one for big parties preferring one on one social gatherings, though sometimes it did her good to get out and meet new people.

“Guess who just walked in?” Evelyn pulled Holly away from her thoughts as she claimed the seat next to her.

“Evelyn, you know I am not good with guessing games.”

“Oh come on. I’ll give you a hint.”

When her only reply was an eye roll, Evelyn took that as a go.

“He has chocolate brown hair and satin gray eyes.”

“Those are very specific features.”

“He has one tattoo on his bicep and a mole above his lips.”

“Okay, Evelyn you can’t expect me to guess who you are talking about if you only talk about his features.”

“At least you know he is a man, though I would have thought that you would know by now who I’m talking about as you have talked about his features in detail since I don’t know . . . forever.”

“I don’t know who you are . . .” but before Holly finished her sentence, she gasped as an ‘oh dear’ escaped on her exhale.

“You might recall him as the president of the debate team you served on in college. And one of my brother’s best friends.”

“Okay, you have made your point. I know who you are talking about.” Nervousness crept up her spine.

“Oh, and did I mention that you’ve been madly in love since you locked eyes with him.” Evelyn ignored her protest.

“Evelyn! Shhh, keep your voice down.” She nearly spilled her drink smacking Evelyn on her shoulder which only made Evelyn smirk broader.

“Oh, look. Here he comes.” Evelyn pointed to the sliding door as Cayden stepped out in a beige pair of jeans and a navy polo neck shirt. At that moment, it was as if everything moved in slow motion for Holly and her mind and body remembered every little thing about him. The way his muscles flexed against his shirt as it clung to his body. The way he ran his fingers through his hair to keep it from falling in his eyes.

“Evelyn.” Cayden called out as he approached the two of them, pulling her into an embrace.

“I’m so glad you came. Dunstan said you were tied up.” Evelyn winked.

“Your brother has an overactive imagination.”

“Well, I’m happy you’re here. And I’m sure you remember my best friend, Holly.” Evelyn reached out to Holly and pulled her into an embrace.

“Holly James.” Surprise yet delight shined in his eyes.

“Hi.” She breathed feeling warmth spreading to her cheeks.

“You look . . . You haven’t . . . Hi.” He stumbled through.

“Hi.” She repeated.

“I haven’t seen you since . . . well it’s been a while. I didn’t know you two were still friends.”

“Oh, we are as thick as thieves.” Evelyn replied, squeezing Holly.

“I remember you two always celebrated your birthdays together and then you would have one big party.” Cayden took the drink Dunstan handed him.

“And I remember the two of you sneaking off at every one of those.” Evelyn continued.

“We weren’t sneaking off.” Holly immediately defended herself.

“Oh, please. Anyone could see the chemistry between the two of you.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t say there was chemistry between us.” Holly tried to keep as close to the truth as possible without revealing anything more.

“Holly, please. Every time he walked into a room, your eyes would be solely focused on him and your cheeks would turn red, exactly like they are doing right now.”

“They are not.” She tried swallowing down the lump in her throat as she felt her cheeks burning her alive.

“Not to mention the number of times you told me you were in love with him.”

“I am not in love with him.” She blurted out and before she could stop herself, her lunch joined in as well.

“What the . . .” Cayden exclaimed his shoes covered in vomit.

With startled eyes, Holly mumbling an apology before running into the house.

Taking the stairs two at a time, she rushed into the guestroom’s bathroom, closing the door behind her. Leaning over the sink, she knew she wasn’t going to throw up again, but she might die from embarrassment. Turning on the tap, she gargled her mouth with water hoping to get the sour taste out. Relief swept over her when no one came to find her, but now she was contemplating staying here until everyone left or sneaking out unnoticed. She decided against sneaking out, she was a grown-up after all, though it didn’t lessen the embarrassment she felt to her core. Deciding to wait in the guest room until everyone left, she opened the bathroom door only to find Cayden waiting there.

She was about to close the door on him but it was as if he could read her mind, because he took a few steps towards her and said, “Please don’t.”

“Cayden, I . . .”

“Are you okay?” he dared to take another step towards her.

“I’m sorry about your shoes.” She avoided the question.

“I don’t care about my shoes.”

“Look, I have to go.” She manoeuvred past him.

“Is it true?” he asked stopping her in her tracks.

“Is what true?”

“Were you in love with me?”

“No.” she immediately answered without thinking, causing her to turn back to the bathroom. Instead, Cayden was standing in her way holding out a trashcan. She grabbed it and luckily this time she managed to keep Cayden’s shoes clean.

After another round of rinsing, Holly collapsed on the bed with the trashcan on her lap as Cayden silently joined her.

“Evelyn told me about your . . . truth serum.” He carefully selected the last two words.

“Truth serum?” she raised her eyebrows. “I’ve never heard that one before.”

“So it’s true?”

“If you mean, is it true that I can’t tell half a truth or the smallest of lies otherwise I’ll throw up? Then yes, yes it’s true.”

“Huh. So you were in love with me?”

“I’m not going to answer that question.”

“I’ve always wondered how you were able to stick to the truth during our debates.”

“The debates wouldn’t have been much pleasurable if I threw up the whole time.”

“Yet you never lost a debate.”

“I’ve had to learn how to avoid certain questions or turn them into questions I can answer truthfully.”

After what felt like hours, she broke the silence. “Go on. Make fun of me.”

“I’m not going to make fun of you. Though, I am going to ask you a question.” His statement got a glare from her but he ignored it and continued. “Are you still in love with me? And I would think twice about your answer if I were you.”

“That’s not fair.”

“All is fair in love and war.” He quoted back with a smirk. “Fine, let’s start with an easy question. Do you still like me?”

“Of course I like you.”

“That’s a good start. Do you think I’m attractive?”

“Cayden!” She rolled her eyes but answered, “Yes.”

“What do you like most about me?”

“Your passion.”

“Are you in love with someone?”

Twiddling her thumbs around the trashcan she took a minute before answering, “Yes.”

“Is it me?”

“Cayden!”

“Fine. I’ll answer the same questions I asked you. I like you very much. I’ve always liked you. I find you very attractive. So attractive in fact that I’ve had a hard-on since I saw you today. I like your eyes because they reveal so much and I have been in love with someone since we met at a debate club in college.”

Feeling as if a wave of water crashed over her, Holly could only stare at Cayden in shock and thrill. Moving the trashcan from her lap, Cayden placed it on the floor before turning his whole body towards her asking, “Are you in love with me?”

“Yes.” A whisper of an answer escaped her before she felt his lips on her.

“Good, because I feel the same way.” He said before brushing his tongue over her lips and slipping inside her mouth.

January 15, 2021 08:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.