Second Chances Are Overrated

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Romance

"And see, just like that another couple finds themselves back in each other's arms. You too can have a second chance at love. For a chance to participate on the next episode of Love's Second Chance, call 1-800-Second. I'm your host, Don Novel, signing off. Until next time, and remember, when love comes knocking, all you have to do is answer."

           Mira turned the tv off and closed the bag of chips that now only contained crumbs. Another happy couple, just like always. It was probably staged, but it made her happy to watch.

She checked her phone and noticed the time. 12:34. She bolted up. She should already be asleep, but she hadn’t been able to resist watching another episode of Love’s Second Chance. She sighed. She would not get much sleep before she had to go to work tomorrow, but she didn’t mind too much.

           “You should go on the show.”

           Mira startled at the sound of her roommate’s voice coming from the hallway that separated their rooms. “What?”

           Her roommate and friend stepped into her room and plopped herself onto Mira’s bed. “You should go on the show. It would give you a chance to see-”

           “No, please don’t say it.” Besides, it was not like she herself had not thought about going on the show. But she could not.

           “Why not, I am sure that Garrett would come if you did.”

           Great, her roommate had done it. She had reminded her of the person she had tried for so long to forget. It was not like she did not still love Garrett. Just the opposite. But he had left her.

           Five years ago, Garrett and Mira had been happy. Thy had been dating for two years at that point and so in love. They had even begun planning their wedding, though they weren’t yet officially engaged. And then something had changed. Garrett had finally gotten the job that he wanted for years. The only problem had been the fact that the job took him away from their small town.

           She had been happy for him and told him that she would be perfectly happy with them marrying early so she could travel with him to the new city. But he had refused. He told her that she deserved more than that. That she should have a big wedding with all her friends and family present. He had been so adamant in fact, that she had agreed with him just to make him happy.

           She still could recall the words he had said before he left for his flight.

           “I will be back soon. And when I am back, I will make sure that you get the best proposal and a wonderful wedding.”

           Except he did not come back. At first, he had called her every day and then ever other day. Every week. Once a month. On the holidays. And then, he stopped. She had assumed that it was because he was busy with his job, but she did not understand why he could not even take the time to text her back.

           She had begun to worry about him. Wondered if he had been injured or worse. Until, she found out from his family that he had visited them, and yet he had not taken the time to see her. It was then that she stopped hoping for his return. It was clear to her that he had not loved her like she had loved him. Like she still did.

           “Mira?” She looked up to find her friend regarding her with a sympathetic look in her eyes.

           She forced a smile to her lips. “I should be getting to bed; I have to work tomorrow.” So, her roommate could forget the idea that Mira would go on the show, and maybe she could convince herself of the same thing.

           Except…

           Two months later, Mira found herself arriving to the set where they filmed Love’s Second Chance. She was a fool for allowing herself to be convinced into going on the show. Yet, she felt a traitorous feeling of hope as she parked her car and made her way to the entrance.

           The whole process of signing up for the show had been a strange one. First, they had asked for information about her and the person she hoped to have a second chance with. She had done her best to explain their situation, but she had not been able to tell them his exact location. Still, since they had told her to arrive today, she could only assume that they had located him.

           She drew in a shaky breath as she continued into the building. What would happen when she saw Garrett? Would she be angry or pleased to see him? Would he be happy with her or would he despise her for interrupting his life? She chided herself once again for doing this. She would probably regret this, but she would also regret never knowing what had happened to make Garrett leave her and never come back.

           Some of the people working with the show ushered her to a room filled with clothes, makeup, and snacks. They pushed her into a chair and then the fussing began. One woman attacked her hair with vengeance while another rubbed some powder on her face. She could also see others in the room studying her and pointing to the rack of clothes behind her.

           After half and hour and four clothing changes, she was deemed presentable and walked to an empty room. Then everyone departed, leaving her alone. She took a deep breath and held it. Then she heard footsteps. She paused, even after several years of separation, Mira knew who the footsteps belonged to. She turned around and met the eyes of Garrett as he walked in.

           She stood, unsure what to do.

           He stepped deeper into the room and glanced at her. “Hi, Mira.”

           With those two simply words, the memories rushed back. Memories of picnics shared, phone calls that lasted for hours, and his promise. The room was suddenly too hot and she could not endure it for a moment longer.

She bolted from the room. She did not stop until she was in the parking lot beside her car. She should have never done the show. Second chances were overrated. Pure and simple. She should go home and hide in her bed until the feelings, she had kept buried for ages, disappeared. But they wouldn’t. They never would. No matter what, she would always love him.

“Mira!”

She closed her eyes. She should not turn around. She should ignore him.

“Please.” She turned and met his gaze. He sighed and adjusted his shirt, something he had always done when he was nervous. “I’m sorry. I should never have left you, but I did. I promised to return, but I broke that promise. I never meant to hurt you, but I have no don’t that I did.”

“Why?” She whispered the question. Not wanting to here his answer, but needing to hear it all the same.

“I have no good excuse. I just let work take over my mind and did not take the time to think beyond it. When I came back, I came to see you, but I couldn’t. Not because I don’t still love you, but because you deserve someone better than me.

When the show sent the message about appearing on the show with you, I felt hopeful. Hopeful that could make things up with you, but I fear that I lost the chance.”

In that moment, Mira realized that all the past, broken promises did not matter anymore. She loved him too much to let those things keep them from being together.

The rest of the night, they sat there in the parking light and talked, about the past, the present, and even the future. So like when they had been younger, yet so different. They were different people from the ones they had been before, so it would take them some time to reacquaint themselves with each other. But as they both regarded the stars above them, she realized that what she had thought earlier was wrong. Second chances were not overrated. No, second chances were the best things for people like Mira and Garrett, and they did not need a tv show to tell them that.

August 12, 2020 14:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.