4 comments

Drama Crime Thriller

“Rachel,” Alex called, his voice a strained whisper.


Across from him, Rachel looked up quizzically from her desk, situated in the spacious yet austere office that bore the hallmarks of political power—dark wood furniture, framed awards, and a large American flag in the corner. The office, typically buzzing with the hum of political maneuvering, was nearly empty.


Alex’s hand trembled as he handed her the photograph.


“Not funny!” Rachel, her voice barely above a whisper, was about to toss the photo back, but she saw Alex had gone pale. “This is Mitchell.”


“Yes,” Alex said, his voice breaking. “And that’s Evelyn.”


Rachel clutched the photograph tighter. Senator Mitchell had vanished at the peak of a fevered debate over a contentious bill, leaving his office in a state of disarray that spoke louder than words. The inexplicable disappearance in the midst of political uproar spawned questions that gnawed at the edges of every whispered conversation. He had stood, resolute and impassioned, just hours before, railing against unseen forces and vowing to uncover the rot at the core of power. Now, his absence, marked by strewn papers and a phone left endlessly vibrating with missed calls, had cast an even darker shadow over the corridors of influence. Each day that passed without word only deepened the murky waters of speculation, casting a long, accusatory finger toward those poised to benefit from his silence, none more so than his fierce adversary, and Alex’s stepmother, the inscrutable Senator Evelyn Parker.


She handed the photo back to Alex. “This has to be a sick prank. There’s no way.”


Alex slumped back into his chair, the photograph a leaden anchor in his hand. He had taken this job to be close to Rachel, trying to navigate the labyrinthine corridors of politics and the strained relationship with his stepmother. Weeks of late night work were taking a toll, and tonight would be no exception. He sighed, rubbing his forehead. “Yeah, maybe you’re right. I just can’t believe she could be involved in this. It has to be a fake.”


Staring at the photo, he noticed the angle was off, as if whoever took it did so secretly, like from a phone at waist level. It wasn’t posed, and there was some glare reflecting in a glass panel behind Evelyn and Mitchell. Alex squinted, leaning closer. It was subtle, but there was no mistaking it—the reflection of a distinctive painting, one that he recognized immediately. It was a portrait that hung in the Senator’s private study, a room few people ever entered. But what stood out even more was the presence of a third person in the photo, a visiting dignitary. Alex’s heart pounded as he recognized Ambassador Carlsson in the reflection. His pulse drummed in his ears, each beat louder than the last. Carlsson had arrived in town for high-level talks – with great fanfare – the day after Mitchell’s disappearance. 


“Rachel, check this out,” Alex said, pointing to the reflection. “See that portrait? It’s of Evelyn and my dad, and it hangs in her private study. This photo must’ve been taken there. And look, that’s Ambassador Carlsson with them. He arrived in town the day after Mitchell went missing.”


Rachel leaned in closer, her eyes widening with shock. Her mouth opened and closed as she struggled to find her voice. “How could no one else have seen Mitchell the day after he went missing? This doesn’t make sense!”


Alex’s breath hitched, his hands trembling as a chill spread through his veins. He stared at the photo, the weight of its implications pressing down on him. 


Rachel stood and began pacing, her movements quick and agitated. 


Alex glanced around the room, his eyes scanning every corner for any sign of movement. “Someone took that photo. That means there’s another witness,” he said, his mind racing with possibilities. Who could it be? Why hadn’t they come forward? The questions churned in his mind, each one more unsettling than the last.


“Maybe the same person who sent it. But that still doesn’t tell us why”


Alex paused. “Do we tell Victor?”


Victor was Victor Thompson, Senator Parker’s chief of staff. He was renowned on the Hill for his ruthless efficiency and unwavering loyalty to the Senator. 


Rachel hesitated then shook her head, glancing at the door as if expecting him to burst in. “No way. Victor would bury this in a second.”


Alex’s fingers trembled as he slipped the photo back into the envelope, the paper crinkling beneath his grip. He slid it into his backpack and looked up. “What should we do?”


“Let’s check for other evidence in her study first, then decide.”


That evening, after the office had emptied out and the halls were quiet, Alex and Rachel stepped into the hallway, locking the Senator’s office behind them. As they navigated the dimly lit corridors toward Evelyn’s private study, Alex couldn’t shake the feeling of being watched, his eyes darting to the shadows at every soft echo of their footsteps on the venerable marble floor.


As the door to the study clicked open, they slipped inside, closing it softly behind them. The room was suffused with an eerie stillness, the only sounds the soft hum of the air conditioner and the faint ticking of a clock. Shadows cast by the streetlights outside created a mosaic of darkness and light, dancing across the polished wooden floor. The faint smell of old leather and polished wood filled the air, mingling with a hint of Senator Parker’s perfume, lingering like a ghost of her presence.


Alex pulled out a small flashlight, its narrow beam revealing dust motes floating lazily in the air, as it sliced through the gloom.


Rachel shivered, rubbing her arms as if to ward off the chill that seemed to seep from the very walls. The oppressive silence pressed in on them, amplifying every creak of the floorboards beneath their cautious steps.


“That painting,” Rachel whispered, pointing. “The one in the photograph.”


Alex nodded, moving the flashlight beam to the painting. It was an abstract portrait, all sharp angles and dark hues, yet unmistakably the same one from the photograph. Beneath the painting was a small desk, its surface cluttered but neatly organized.


“Let’s start here,” Rachel suggested, her voice barely audible as she touched the desk.


They began their search, carefully sifting through drawers and papers. The desk was filled with the usual political paraphernalia, until Alex’s hand brushed against a small, inconspicuous button underneath one of the drawers. He pressed it, and a hidden compartment popped open.


Rachel’s breath caught as they peered inside. There, nestled among more mundane items, was a small, intricate keychain. It was a delicate piece, made of gold and adorned with tiny, almost imperceptible engravings. A single key was attached. She picked it up, turning it over in her hand. 


Alex leaned closer, noticing that the engravings were actually initials. “J.M.,” he read aloud. “These aren’t Evelyn’s initials.”


Rachel’s eyes widened. “James Mitchell. This must belong to Mitchell.”


Alex nodded. “Why would Evelyn have this?”


They carefully repacked the compartment and closed it, ensuring everything was left as they had found it. As they exited the study, Alex felt the weight of the keychain and the photograph in his backpack, a tangible connection to the secrets they were unraveling.


Outside, the damp night air hit them, a stark contrast to the stifling tension inside the building. They hurried to Rachel’s car, their hearts pounding with the urgency of their mission.


As Rachel drove down Constitution Avenue, Alex watched the city lights cast fleeting shadows across her face. He couldn’t shake the feeling that they were being followed. Someone had set them on this path, and they were hurtling towards an unknown destination. The tangled web of lies and power they found themselves in was as thick and choking as the humidity of a DC summer, and they had to tread carefully. One wrong step, one misjudgment, and they would be swallowed whole by the very secrets they were starting to unearth.


July 12, 2024 23:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Peter Wallace
21:27 Jul 17, 2024

Very nice. I definitely want to know what happens next.

Reply

Chuck Beretz
21:51 Jul 17, 2024

Me too! (Thanks for the kinds words)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laura Lawson
17:08 Jul 17, 2024

Enjoyed reading your story, Chuck, loved the building tension throughout.

Reply

Chuck Beretz
18:02 Jul 17, 2024

Thank you Laura!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.