Easy Come, Easy Ghost.

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

0 comments

Happy Friendship Mystery

The wind whistled through the subdivided houses in the last night of the 10th month of the year but Sky couldn't find any alternative costume to wear for the event of collecting candies and sweets around the neighborhood in costume.



This was her first time to join the event but she was disappointed towards her Father for lossing her witch costume in the wreckage last week so Sky decided to find some alternatives. About an hour to go before her friends call her name outside her window but she was still in the circumstance of desperation.


Before tears pours down, a flash of memory lit the candle of her mind, she remembered there was a blanket used for picnic stashed in the attic of the house. She slowly brought the ladder upstairs while her Father was in the state of liquor blues in the living room. She grunts and walks by the tip of her toes to control any noise but creaks from the stairs forced her to slow down tip by tip in the ascend and finally made her way up to the summit. 


Face went from happy to frown as she looked above the trapdoor and found out it was locked by a big yellow padlock. Contemplating wether she wants to ask her Father about the key or finding another way to open the trap door but ultimately decided to find Philip's head screwdriver down in the basement.


She gleamed the cave like basement of the house by her toy flashlight and walked down cautiously but a sudden raspy wind coming from outside terrorized the unknown corners of the basement that made her knees and hands tremble but her courage to find the tool fueled up her mindset. She saw several Screwdrivers in her Father's workbench but most of them were flat and star headed. There was a plus headed one but it was small. After few minutes of scrounging around the basement, her flashlight was getting weaker and made her to find the tool with full haste and finally she found the tool she was looking for, the Big Philip's head.


She ran and ascends like wind to the corridor of the second floor of the house by her tip toes and holding her breath for a moment of dash and was relieved when she saw the ladders was still in the place below the trapdoor. She twist the screws until they were pulled out in the place and was hanged freely with the padlock. She checked her flashlight and still works but only weaker. She climbed and She scrounged the attic like she did in the basement and encountered cobwebs like the size of her head and destroyed some. She apologized as she crawled her way to the crate in the corner. She sighed in relief when she saw that the crate was not locked like the trapdoor. She smiled a little until the small victory fades away as she saw the blanket was not white but Pink. She recalled that the white was lost or burned along with her costume last week in the wreckage. Disappointment plagues her once again but still accepts even though she doesn't looked like a ghost because of the color.


Five minutes late to the promised time, she screwed one screw in the trapdoor and hid the ladder in her bedroom. She quickly coated herself with the cloth she found and teared two holes for her eyes. As she looked herself in the mirror, she chuckled as she looks like a ghost playing in the nearby construction yard and fell down to a pit of pink colored paint. One more, she wore her Father's shades that she stole last night and silently climbed out by her bedroom's window.


She walked by the tip of her toes and mimicked a cat to avoid any noises that may lead her Father to scan outside but she accidentally scared the charcoal colored cat resting beneath the shadows. She tried to shush but it was too late and the cat leaped in horror to the nearby bottles and cans of milks and beers that leads her Father to switch on the light in the driveway. She quickly hid in the back of a big trashcan. She saw her father with a big red wrench on his right and a powerful flashlight on his left and he sharply scanned the area with great angle. She wanted to peak but something tickled her nose and lets out a mouse like sneeze. Sweat turned cold as she saw her father was looking straight to her and her ground was lit by a powerful yellow light. She tried to sniff back the water like snot that drips down from her nose but she can't. The Cicadas' cry was eclipsed by the pounding of her heart and it drastically got loud as the thunderous footsteps behind her was getting stronger and louder. She decided to surrender and face the consequences but her body refused to do so until-


A loud crash diverted his attention and immediately rushed back in the house. She took a peak and released a relieving sigh until she felt something warm tapping her right shoulder. She turned to face what was behind her. Her heart jumped for a second.


It was one of her friends, a Red colored ghost.


She tapped her chest continuously to control the turbulent pumping and gestured her finger on her mouth while looking straight. She pointed out the house and waited till the light was gone. They sighed in relief and then proceed to the other side of the street and saw another two kids wearing the same costume like both of them but the others wore Cyan and Orange colored blankets.


"Finally!" The Orange colored stands up and greeted sky, "Good evening!"


She raised her hand and clapped Orange's hand and Cyan's. They gathered around for a moment and decided to collect candies until Nine o'clock in the evening but Sky didn't just want to knock and ask for some candies plainly, she wants to do a little bit of show that leaves a smile in the faces of the people that will give them rewards. As a result, the gang agreed but has different versions of approach. Heat rose around and Sky had to stand in the middle to break out the barrage of potential words.


With all palms, the gang zipped their mouths. Sky pointed her finger to Red and Red spoke out his idea then to Orange's but Red barked in the middle of Orange's and Cyan was quite annoye and attempts to shove Red but Sky's quick attention and wittiness, prevented such actions and successfully made the gang spoke out their ideas. Sky folded her arms and taps her foot as she's diving in her mind organizing and contemplating to mix the gang's ideas into one and suddenly, she snapped her finger and Eurekas!


They knocked the door of their first house. A husband and wife goes out of the door along with their pumpkin bucket full of assorted sweets but there wasn't anybody around the porch. The couple was confused as they thought they heard knocking on their doors until the skyless night sky began to whistle some wind accompanied by the rustle of dead leaves around the area. The lady backed out and pulled the arm of her husband as she was trying to pull him back in their house until some snapping of fingers and whistle diverted her attention.


It was Sky, the Pink colored Ghost showed up out from the bush while whistling a cute and heartwarming tune out of her lips and snaps her fingers for the beat at the same time in front of the couple.


Red stands up slowly within the bushes, snapping and whistling along behind Pink in front of a cemetery themed house with a nuclear family watching them.


Despite from being already dead in character and some of them were armless, The Zombie themed house and family, snaps and whistled along the gang with Orange in the lead. Their arms emerges and they snap and waves as they were in a hypnosis of the Gang's tune.


The depressing and dark plagued Gothic castle themed house dropped their grave like atmosphere as Cyan whistled up to the top of his lungs along with the gang behind him.


Every house they knocked into was left with smiles in their faces as they closed their doors and looked to the gang one last time secretly by their windows. They were rewarded by buckets of sweets as they chirp like birds and whistled like a joyfull ghost in a cute and heartwarming tunes. 


They continued until quarter to nine. They rest in a nearby vacant lot under the streetlamp and ate some chocolates and candies. Orange snapped his finger as he sparked an idea on how they end the event. The gang paid close attention as Orange tells his plan. It consist of breaking in a house and scare the owner. Pink felt that they will be likely in custody if they pulled out this kind of gimmick so she suggested an alternative, instead of scaring the owner, they will leave her with some chocolates and candies thus leaving the owner with a creepy feeling and some smile. The Gang agreed immediately and searched a house to break in. It was the house in the corner end of the street where a streetlamp lights in and out of life.


Cyan backed off, Red was creeped out and both Orange's and Pink's torsos trembled as they approach the house. The original white paint turned into ash as time goes by and vines from random bushes rose up to the windows up to the second floor of the house. Cracks and cobwebs are visible and the gang quickly concluded that the house was neglected but the lights from the inside are brightly yellow and lit up well unlike the streetlamp in front of the house. Obviously there's a person inside of the house and clearly still not asleep. They want to choose another house but the time says they can't. Once again, Pink has nothing more to lose not even a second and proceed to lead the gang herself. Red tried opening the door but was quickly snapped out by Orange. Pink lifts the window pane up without any problems and the rest followed her. 


They got inside through the kitchen with her in the lead and hid in some large objects outside the rays of the bright yellow light. As she moves, she realized that they can't move and hide like a Centipede all the time. Cyan was pointing out straight on the wall. Pink looked back and forth to Cyan to where his finger was pointing and then she saw that there was a switch on the wall. She gave Cyan a thumbs up and slowly crawled to the wall as the gang guarding their eyes to the living room. 


Pink with her finger, ready to flip off the switch waiting for Red to gesture go. He gave a thumbs up to Pink and she flipped off the switch but they were tragically dazzled out by the bright white light in front of them. As they recovered, they quickly searched for a hiding spot as the footsteps became louder. Pink merged herself within the shadows behind her. 


The Lady was confused as the light from the kitchen has been lit as she was the only soul inside the house. She found nothing but an empty kitchen and was puzzled as she looked to the switch that has been flipped down. She turned behind as the cold wind touched her nape. Her eyebrows met as the wind continuously blows inside the kitchen through the lifted window pane. She looked back and forth, searching for answers but she found nothing but an empty space. She flipped up the switch and goes upstairs still shaking her head and still puzzled. Pink extended her legs as she stepped out of her hiding place.


Pink gathered the gang below the large table and set a plan. They will leave some sweets and hints in every dark parts of the house while making some noises. The gang agreed. They act like true ghosts but leaves some sweets and hints behind and reveal themselves in the last.


They initiate their plan first in the kitchen. Every pot they found was packed by Skull shaped candies and a pumpkin bucket was placed in the middle of the table with a note written like doctor's prescription.


They slid the windows back and let the wind whistle through the kitchen again. The rest of the gang proceeds to the living room whereas the lights are still lit. They placed another set of candies in the sofa, television drawer and another note in the middle of the coffee table with some bone shaped candies all over and killed the light. They go back to the kitchen and hid on a more secured places. Pink hid back in the place where she hid earlier while the rest of the gang hid under the stairs. Pink stomped loudly in every steps on the stairs while Red whistles rasply until A yellow light was lit from upstairs and Pink goes back in her hiding place and Red sealed his lips as the Lady goes back.


She was puzzled again but quite greater than earlier as she saw the living room's light was dead and darkness blankets the first floor. She walked further and saw the pumpkin shaped bucket glowing in the middle of the table. She unknowingly kicked the pot that the gang placed earlier and scattered sweets that almost made her slip.


"Behind you"


She read the note. It was slightly unreadable but she managed it then Suddenly, the kitchen became slightly visible. She breathed deeply and Her legs were trembling as she knew that behind her was the living room and it lit itself. Hairs from her arms, stands up as she looked slowly behind. Pink and Orange proceeds upstairs to the bedroom of the Lady and scattered some skull and bone shaped candies all over the bed.


"B3dr0om..."


The Lady read another unreadable note from the coffee table. She attempted to call the police until she heard a loud thud coming from her bedroom.


Orange told Pink to hid somewhere else as the Lady is now coming to the bedroom. She nodded and goes out the door and hid back in the place where she hid earlier. Another loud thud was heard and the Lady quickly rushes back to her bedroom and saw lots of sweets in her bed like she saw from the kitchen and from the living room except there was no note in the center but a Toy Flashlight. She was struck by lightning of horror as she remembered the Flashlight. She gave it to her daughter last week and believed it was also burned in the wreckage. Before she breaks down to tears, a telephone, rang sharply in the living room. 


"H-Hello?" She pants and stuttered as tears pours down, "M-Michael? Is that you?"


"She's gone" Michael said in a depressing voice, "She's not here anymore"


"Michael, listen-" She tried to clear her voice with full courage, "The Toy Flashlight that i gave to her? Its here"


"What?" Michael was puzzled about what she just said, "Jasmine, What flashlight?"


Jasmine couldn't answer anymore as her emotions finally eclipsed her.


"Flashlight?!" Michael finally realized what she meant, "So she's there! She's in your house!"


Jasmine finally surrendered to her emotions.


"Enough" Jasmine replied calmly depressed, "Just enough Michael"


Jasmine looks down as she remembered the incident until she lift her head up with eyes wide open as the large cabinet's door slowly creaks behind her. Small footsteps was approaching behind her. The footsteps stopped and she tried her best not to look behind but her head turned uncontrollably by her mind. She saw a Pink colored ghost wearing her husband's favorite shades. She turned around with her whole body and Pink extended her hand to give Jasmine another note. Jasmine's hand trembled as she took the note from Pink's hand.


"Happy Halloween! :)"


She puts the note aside and kneels down to face Pink's cute height.


"Sky?" She gestured thumbs up and snapped her finger, "Darling?"


Pink snapped back and revealed herself to Jasmine. Jasmine's Horror was completely washed off by tears of joy as she saw Sky's cute smile. She tightly hugged Sky with both cries and smiles but the moment was interrupted by the doorbell that exactly rang three times in the middle of their moment. They both knew already who's behind the door.


"Go" Still in tears, Jasmine nodded while snorting her nose, "You can open it"


Sky ran with haste and opened the door and caught her Father in surprise.


"Skyyyyyy!!!" Her father yelled with a smile and hugged Sky like the way Jasmine hugged her, "I thought i lost you!"


Jasmine smiled and invites Michael inside the house but the emotional Mother and Daughter laughed as Michael slipped his way to the living room by some candies.


"Hmmmm?" Jasmine with her eyebrows raised, "Drinking?"


"W-wait" Michael tried to explain with his world still shakes, "Its the candy"


"Of course it is" Jasmine and Michael smiled and Sky gave a bag of kernels to Jasmine, "Game?"


"Well" Michael cracks and stretched out his neck and hands, "Always"


And so, Michael and Jasmine's Horror was gone as they reunion happily with Jasmine's head in the arms of Michael while Sky was playing the classic arcade game of Pac-Man as they ate Popcorns until-


"By the way" Michael asked, "Where those tons of candies coming from?"


Sky smiled as she chase the Red, Orange and Cyan colored ghosts from Pac-Man.

October 30, 2020 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.