1 comment

Historical Fiction Romance Teens & Young Adult

     She was starting to feel faint, for the streets of London were especially pitted and rough. Likewise, she was starting wonder if the London season was worth enduring a nine-hour long carriage ride.

On top of that, Princess Grace Ellington had been confined in that coach for so long that she started to count the number of birds embraided on the chaise lounge.

Finally, having the privilege of stepping out of the carriage, she was faced with a soaring brick castle. However, the gold-plated doors did not capture her attention as much as the gardens did. For the queen had unusual black and white stripped animals, which she had never laid eyes on before. Her majesty was kind enough to let her reside with her during the London season.

Her peace was quickly cut short by dozens of servants welcoming her and leading her to the queen. Then again, Grace wanted nothing more than to retire to her chambers and rest, thanks to the ruthless ride from France.

“Dear Grace, I am thrilled you made it!” Queen charlotte never failed to make her feel welcomed. “Your majesty,” Grace curtseyed, “It is delightful to meet you again.” Continued Grace. Thankfully, her majesty did not keep her for long and excused her after inquiring about her travels.

Although she and King George were related, they looked nothing alike. For Grace had lengthy honey-blonde curls, as well as a sculpted Greek nose. However, her most distinctive feature would have to be her glowing viridian eyes. In contrast to King George’s dark hair and eyes.

Princess Grace wandered the halls with the servant until they reached her bedchamber. A ravishing room overlooking the flourishing gardens with portraits hung on its walls and a golden king-sized bed in the center. She retired to her bed early, in order to assemble herself for the first ball of the season tomorrow, hosted by non-other than Lady Danbury.

The shriek of the drapes opening awoke her, along with the rays of light pouring in. In the corner of her eye sat a stunning sapphire gown, laced with off-white embroidery and a matching beige shawl. Excitement was an understatement for how Grace was feeling, since she had always dreamt of attending the eminent London season balls. She got dressed swiftly, styled her hair, wore ivory gloves and topped it off with a Georgian tiara. Then she headed down to the main hall, where a royal coach was awaiting her and her majesty.

It was already noon upon their arrival, the ball was buzzing with talk about the new arrival to this season. Princess Grace was set out to be the diamond of this season, due to her connections with her majesty the queen. Not that she didn’t deserve the title.

The minute she walked into the assembly room; her eyes failed to notice the alluring arches and vibrancy of the florae, instead they were engrossed with another deep-set orbs. Almost immediately, Queen Charlotte caught sight of her gaze. “Lord Dawson,” whispered the queen in her ear, “Lady Sophia’s spouse.” Grace nodded along and continued to familiarize herself with others.

The queen had introduced her to one of the eligible bachelors, Lord Beaumont, who asked for her first dance. Unfortunately, he was rather dull and dandy, and seemed to view marriage as a business contract rather than a love-match. Bit snobby as well.

While Grace was twirling to the violin’s melody, she lost her footing and stumbled. She was spared from hitting the unforgiving floor by the firm grasp of Lord Dawson.

“Your royal highness, are you well?” his breathy voice questioned her, whilst examining her for any injury. “Yes, I am, thank you my lord,” responded Grace diffidently. Now that Lord Dawson was nearer, she could see his inky curls and pearly smile. His cravat complemented his mahogany vest and beige ambiance. Eventually, it became obvious she was rubbernecked, she then quickly pardoned herself. He bowed as she passed by him rather hurriedly. In addition, hearing the crowd murmur was vexing, though fortunately people did not linger on it.

After the unfortunate incident, she settled on taking a rest from dancing and went to freshen up. As she was making her way through, she heard a soft pianoforte symphony coming from one of the halls. Curiosity got the better of her, and she followed the compelling tune. The marble floored hall had a lofty ceiling, filled with artwork flowing through it. Furthermore, a bass wood pianoforte was centered in the rather empty marble hall, with a chestnut-haired girl keeping it company.

“That is Joseph Haydn’s sonata, is it not?” pondered Princess Grace. The brunette turned around; she was wearing a fern-green colored gown with golden lace.

“Your royal highness,” she curtsied, “Yes, it is. Do you relish his work?” ventured Lady Jane.

 “I do, immensely.” Replied Grace, pleased to find someone who shared her passion. Furthermore, they bonded over pianoforte for the rest of the night, and became closely acquainted.

The ride back to the palace was tranquil, and was short-lived. It was not long until Grace fell into deep slumber in her bedchamber.

However, it was not a dreamless drowse, for she could not take her mind off of those moon-eyed orbs that rescued her. Reliving the events of that night repeatedly and ruthlessly. Grace could not for the life of her understand why his resonant voice would not leave her mind. Images of him standing beneath the moonlight crossed and illuminated her dreams.

She awoke the next day weary and in need of fresh air. Unfortunately, it was calling hour, and bachelors had lined to call up on the season’s diamond. Lord Beaumont was one of the callers, also the one Queen Charlotte favored for his rank and dignity, and felt he was the perfect match for Princess Grace. Accordingly, her majesty insisted both of them go promenade.  

While promenading along the lake, Grace talked about how she was accomplished in pianoforte, as well as picturesque principles. Yet once her highness mentioned her love of literature and poetry, Lord Beaumont was not pleased. Moreover, he laid bare that he believed reading novels was foolish and frivolous for young ladies. The civility of her royal highness stopped her from stomping off, owing to the fact that his beliefs were completely and utterly idiotic.

At last, Grace was able to get away from his presence as relief washed over her. She was sitting on one of the marble benches in the gardens beside the lake as she read a book. A few moments later, she felt somebody sit next to her.

“The Lady of the Lake by Walter Scott, you have immaculate taste,” began Alexander Dawson brightly.

Princess Grace had been undeniably meek around him ever since that dream. “Thank you, Lord Dawson.”

“Please, call me Alexander.” He insisted. Grace nodded

They talked for some time about novels, and she voiced her encounter with Lord Beaumont. He was not the least bit surprised, since he knew the man and his antics. Grace enjoyed conversing with Lord Dawson a great deal, for he was more fascinating than all of the bachelors she had encountered combined. She felt oddly connected to him. Yet she could not stop wondering where Lady Sophia was on this fine day. She did not wish to pry, however.

The following day, Grace woke up with a column in Lady Whistledown printed about her.

Dearest reader,

    It seems our season’s diamond has her eye on a ship that has long sailed. Chasing wedded gentlemen is precisely the scandal required to start off this season. Once again, her majesty’s love-matches fall at the first hurdle…

Princess Grace could not bring herself to finish the letter after the first few lines, and tossed away the scandalous paper. How is she going to show her face in tonight’s ball? Similarly, how did she not realize she was unchaperoned that evening?

She abruptly heard Queen charlotte call out her name, in a distressed tone.

“Have you read the newest Lady Whistledown? It is very improper! You must not speak to that man ever again,” ordered the Queen. Princess Grace nodded feebly and said nothing.

A few hours passed; she was in the same fancy carriage headed to the ball. Although, this time she was dreading it. Princes Grace and her majesty, who seemed awfully silent and distant, had arrived. Not a minute had passed, when Lady Jane had approached her.

“I read Lady Whistledown today,” she whispered fretfully, “you shall not worry about it. It will surely die down in due course; honestly, she can be merciless sometimes.”

“I hope it does…It was all very righteous, for we spoke mainly about books and what not,” defended Grace as they stood in the assembly room.

“This is all too pressuring; it feels as if I am being examined in here. Pardon me, Jane,” Princess Grace hurried outdoors to ease off in the gardens.

As she did, Lord Dawson spotted her and went after her.

“Your royal highness,” he called out, as he stood beside her overlooking a tiny moon-lighted pond.

“I reckon you read the article as well, Alexander,” mumbled grace as she glanced at him.

“Yes, I have…” Lord Dawson trailed off, “I have never enjoyed that gossipmongering lady.”

“And how did Lady Sophia take it?” Grace pondered inquisitively.

“She is out of town at the moment,” Alexander answered, “I am deeply sorry about this Grace,” he exhaled.

“Do not worry about it, I am sure it will blow away by time,” continued grace, “Although, I should probably get back. I think it is best we avoid each other, in order to avoid another untrue scandal...”

Lord Dawson watched her silently as she walked inside again, though he had a lot on his mind.

Except for watching Lady Emma drink half the beverages, the rest of the night was ordinary. Grace tried to not to exhaust herself during the excruciatingly long night, since there was another ball awaiting her presence the next day.

Lord Dawson arrived home that night to see his wife had come back from her travels, as she held yesterday’s crumpled article in her hand.

“What is this, Alexander?” the black-haired lady questioned harshly.

“Do not trouble yourself with it, it is just a rumor,” replied Alexander dismissively.

“Last I checked, Lady Whistledown does not write about ‘rumors’,” persisted Lady Sophia.

“Why does it matter to you? Our marriage is strictly business Sophia,” Alexander questioned, as he hung his coat and started walking to his study.

“I expect you to keep up your end of the bargain, for you are aware of the consequences,” snapped Sophia.

Alexander locked himself in his study irately; frankly, he was sick of his living state.

Grace woke up the following day, ate breakfast, went promenading and got ready for the ball. However, it was not any standard ball, but a masquerade. So, she selected a mask from her many options, a cream-colored mask with golden adornments. Grace wore a jade-colored dress that matched the mask flawlessly.

As she was standing in the assembly room, she was at awe from the decorations. From the radiant crystal chandelier to the intriguing masked individuals. Suddenly, a disguised gentleman asked her to dance. He wore a black vest, coupled with a snow-white shirt, coal-black cravat and pants. Although his mask made him unrecognized, grace distinguished him by his voice.  

“I had remained up all night in my study as you occupied my mind, for I cannot keep away from you,” he acknowledged, “Last night was agonizing, I detested seeing you dance with other men.”

“How could you speak that, when you are happily wedded?” Princess Grace questioned, as her heart thumped.

“It is not happy, nor my choice, owing to the fact it was arranged for me to marry Lady Sophia,” Alexander whispered, as they continued to dance. Grace was silent, as well as dazed.

She left the ballroom hastily, not knowing what to do as Alexander trailed her outside to the moonlit courtyard. The second no one was around; she tossed away the mask and turned to him. It was the first time she made out the glint of blue in his eyes, or his firm grasp that made her feel safe. Alexander leaned forward, observing her beaming smile and her innocent eyes, as he kissed her. She kissed him back instantly, never wanting to leave his embrace…

Grace did not care for the consequences, at that moment. Oblivious of the fact that Lady Sophia caught sight of them both slipping outside, unchaperoned.

Lady Sophia confronted her negligent husband when they reached the house. She has contact with Lady Whistledown, and is willing to abuse them if needed. Nevertheless, her intimidations did not disturb him in the slightest, as he would rather be exposed than to live his life in this vain household…

Sophia left the house wrathfully, as she was set on delivering the message to Lady Whistledown tonight.

Dearest reader,

    Our latest scandal covers not only adultery, but infidelity as well. It appears that our diamond, Princess Grace Ellington, has been sighted kissing Lord Alexander Dawson, yesterday. It sounds like the masquerade was not the only thing hiding its true nature.

Queen Charlotte was fuming that morning, for her advice was deserted. In view of the fact that she simply could not have the royal name tarnished; Grace has to go, for she was naïve and self-destructive. One of the maids had heard her majesty exclaim furiously to Brimsley about this, and spread her words around.

Eventually, word got out to the ton and Alexander got wind of it.

Grace was packing up her belongings, seeing as she could not finish this season. The only thing simmering in her mind is that she will never see Alexander again, nor talk to him before she departs.

She was escorted to the railway station headed back to France; she did not imagine her stay would transpire like this. As she was sitting on the bland lounge, she saw a silhouette race across the pavement, entering the wagon. It was Alexander.

“I could not let you leave alone, for it is impossible to imagine life without you, Grace,” spoke Lord Dawson, while panting from running.

“Neither could I!” yelped Grace as she ran to him.

They were tied and interlinked by an invisible entity. They balanced each other, had similar goals and cared for one another the most. Alexander had nothing awaiting him in London, and he was better-off far away from it. 

June 15, 2024 02:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

David Sweet
19:33 Jun 17, 2024

You seem to love Palace intrigue; you capture it well. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.