The Wolf and the Bear

Submitted into Contest #252 in response to: Start your story with a character being followed. ... view prompt

0 comments

Thriller Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

As the girl walked, memories assaulted her. She shivered and drew her cloak closer, looking over her shoulder. She wasn’t alone this time and that was comforting at least. 

Last time she’d come through this forest, she had been alone. She remembered she had seen the creature staring at her through the trees. She remembered the feeling of uncertainty as she’d stopped, deciding whether to go on or turn back. 

She remembered her decision to go on, thinking that she would pass by in peace. After all, she’d never been bothered by one of their kind before. What did she have to fear? 

The forest was light and breezy. It gave off a friendly ambience as she moved along at her comfortable pace. The birds twittered in the trees, some even swooping beneath the branches. 

She reasoned that with everything appearing so cheerful and calm, that no harm could possibly find her in such an enchanting place. Besides, she’d been on this path many times before and no dangers had befallen her. Why would anything happen this day?

The path ahead rose into a small hill. As she ascended, out of the corner of her eyes she could see someone amid the trees. She noticed their gaze on her, but she dared not look. She reminded herself over and over that they were allowed to look and there was nothing to fear. 

She moved on calmly, cresting the small hill. Deep down, she knew that she should keep her eyes on the stranger, but she told herself if she kept going that she would be able to see more of the forest in the beautiful golden light. Despite telling herself this, way deep down she knew that she was actually giving in to her feeling of unease. 

As she began down the small hill, she nonchalantly turned back and noticed something that made her skin crawl. The stranger had moved. It had turned to watch her go up the hill, but even more than that, it was closer. 

Had it followed her? 

She recalled laughing inwardly at herself, trying to stave off the rising fear. She had rolled her eyes and had slowly turned to continue on her journey. 

Something inside had told her to run, but the part of her that had never been in this situation thought that was ludicrous. 

Sure, she had known other people in this situation before, but it was just a fluke. Something like that would never happen to her. 

Steadying her breathing, she continued forward. She tried to calm her racing heart and still her panicking mind. She was jumping to conclusions and fantastical scenarios. Nothing dangerous would happen to her. She wasn’t doing anything wrong and giving any signs that she wanted attention. Nothing would happen to her.

A loud crunch behind her made her whip around. She was surprised to see that the stranger was standing just a few feet behind her staring at her.

The stare wasn’t malicious or even concerning. The other even had a slight smile on their face. 

“Yes?!” She remembered practically yelling. She had felt how wild her eyes had been. She was certain she had looked more like a cornered chicken staring at a hungry fox than the calm person she wanted to be.

The stranger’s smile brightened a little and she felt her guard slip just a little. 

Her brain laughed at her and she breathed a little sigh, telling herself that she was worried for nothing. Despite this, her unease remained. 

“Hello.” They said in a smooth voice. “I noticed you were walking alone. It’s not safe to walk in the forest alone.” 

A little chill went up her back, but she pushed it aside and smiled. 

“I walk these woods often as it is the fastest way to visit my grandmother.” She wasn’t sure why she felt compelled to give so much information. She didn’t need to give an explanation. “I am alright.” She finished, holding her head up and doing her best to look completely in control though really she felt like she was spiraling into a panic.

“Still, you never know when you will meet a wild animal.” 

That feeling of being cornered came back to her but she did not want to be rude. She had never expected to meet another person on this path. And yet, people are not to be feared so why was she so afraid. 

“Well…” she smiled slightly. “I appreciate your concern, but I think I can handle myself-“ she begun to step back, but with a speed she was unaware of, he grabbed her wrist. 

She blinked and looked down at her wrist. She had been apprehensive of this man, but deep down, she had never expected this. 

The man sniffed the air and then breathed deep. 

“You smell like fresh bread and pastries…” he said dreamily, as if lost in a memory. 

“It’s baked goods for my grandma. If you let me go, maybe I can give you some…” She knew this was not the way to get out of this situation. She shouldn’t have to barter to get her arm back, but she was desperate. 

Even the offer of bread did not appease the man. He did not make any move to release her. Giving a slight tug and glaring at him despite her fear, she pulled.

“Let go, please.” She was not sure why she was being so polite. Why did she feel the need to be polite to this stranger. 

“ I don’t think so, dear.” He held her tight and advanced. She tried not to show fear, but she could feel it in her eyes. “I can’t let you wander through this dangerous forest alone.”

“I told you I’m fine.” She growled, trying to hide to squeak in her voice. “Let. Me. Go.” His hand tightened as she spoke and she let her other hand fly hard, striking him across his face. 

Unintentionally, thought not regrettably, her nails grazed his face and one spot in particular began to bleed. 

He did not let go. She pulled and watched as he bristled visibly, a slow, calculated smile covering his face. 

There was now a wild light in his eyes and she found herself fearing what may happen to her if she could not get away. This was not an animal that would simply maim, kill, or eat her. This man was not doing this for survival. It was sport to him.

While she was thinking, he began pulling her closer to him. 

She fought but he was large, and while she was not petite, he was very strong. She was very aware of what the end results could be if she gave in, so she continued to pull, wrench, scratch, and even attempted to bite him- but he only laughed… and she was getting tired. 

There was a crunch of branches behind her and the sound of soft grasses swishing against each other. 

The man stopped pulling her arm and loosened his grip on her arm and drew in a breath. 

Confused, she turned and just ten feet away was a large black bear that had emerged from behind the tree. 

The bear began to shuffle towards them, nose lifted to the air, eyes eager. 

Still staring at the bear, the girl was startled and gave out a cry as she felt herself being thrust at the bear. She had no way to stop and she could see that where she would land would only be about three feet from the animal. 

The hard earth met her and she grunted. Even in this moment though, her focus was completely on the fact that she was mere feet from a bear and behind her was the man who had pushed her into danger. She didn’t know how to react, but she didn’t have enough air to scream. 

The big, black bear began to make for her, and she tried to scramble away, but the man behind her kicked her back to the ground. 

Before she could move, the bear was standing over her, it's rancid breath making her gag. She hid her face and lay very still.

She heard scrambling and peeked through her hair to see the man booking it down the path, leaving her to the mercy of the bear. 

The small bit of relief left her as quickly as it had came. She could feel the bear scratching at her side and she knew she should try to think of a way to escape, but what was she supposed to do. She was trapped. 

She lay quietly, awaiting her fate. 

She wasn't there long when the bear moved over her and she felt her entire body being pulled. She squeaked and hid further until she realized there was no pain. 

Grunting as her body was pulled slowly across a large twig, she got to her hands and knees and pulled back just enough to turn and look at her attacker. 

Though she could hardly have called this bear her attacker, for he was barely even touching her. 

The bear looked at her with small, black eyes, her satchel clenched in its massive jaws. 

She looked at the bear for a long minute and a realization came to her as she looked down at the long, sharp teeth clenched around her bag.

Slowly, she extricated herself from the satchel strap and slid backwards in the dirt, away from the bear. The animal did not move, but watched curiously. 

After a moment, the bear backed away from her and shook the satchel violently. After a great effort involving much shaking, claws, and teeth, a loaf of bread, multiple pastries tumbled from the bag. 

The bear dropped the satchel and without giving it or the girl a second glance, it moved to the food and began devouring everything. 

Understanding dawned on her. The bear had never been after her or her actual attacker. All it had wanted was the treats she had on her person. 

Smoothly and without drawing too much attention to herself, the girl stood and began to make her way quickly through the forest. She kept her eyes open for the man that had come upon her before, but it seemed he had fled quickly, afraid for his life. 

After a short while, the girl heard a branch snap behind her. 

With a gasp, she spun around, eyes wild and breathless with fear. 

She was surprised how relieved she was when all she saw was the same large black bear following her. 

When she had turned, it had stopped to watch her. It did not move toward her anymore, but simply stood, nostrils flaring as it tried to pick up the scent of more baked goods. 

A ghost of a smile crossed her lips and she couldn’t help but feel humor rise in her chest. 

Feeling a little braver than she had before, the girl turned and began to walk at a brisk pace towards her grandma’s house. All the while, the bear trundled along behind her at the same steady pace. 

Looking back now, she had never expected to ever be in this situation. 

She smiled at the large, black bear that shuffled beside her, large claws digging into the dirt as it walked. 

She had never expected to choose a bear as a traveling companion, but knowing what she knew now, she wouldn’t have it any other way. 

The End

June 01, 2024 03:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.