0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Zeema was only 18, a widow, and was a citizen of Rubi Isle on planet Tellus. Though she was good-looking, she was a bit on the heavier side. She lived with her sister Soki. Soki was a year elder and was also a widow with two children. Zeema was a thinker who would analyze matters scientifically.

That day Soki and Zeema were seated talking after lunch. Zeema said “Soki, nobody is taking care about the future. I’m prepared to sow some seeds in regard to our future.”

“I don’t understand what you’re saying. As far as I can see there is no need to be concerned about the future. We’re a stable well organized society. Our granaries are overflowing. Fruits, vegetables and fish are available in plenty. Our water supply is guaranteed as the perennial river is flowing near us. The future will take care of itself.”

“Sis, you’re wrong. You’re only considering food security. Those may continue. But look at the population. It has increased and I’m sure females outnumber men. And look at the lifetimes of the people.”

Soki said “Everyone must die. Nothing can be done about it.”

“You’re wrong. I’ve been studying the lifetimes of various people. I’ll say I had got data on men and women of more than 30 families. I found women live longer than men despite undergoing various ailments because they are women and also because they produce children.”

Soki nodded and said “Your talk is becoming serious. I’m thirsty. Let me get something to drink.”

That was done and the two shared fruit drinks. Smacking her lips Zeema said “Very tasty.”

Soki said “Zeema you were talking about the population distribution.”

“Yes. I was saying that women live longer than men. Isn’t it necessary to find the reason and ensure that men also live longer?”

“There’s no need for research on that aspect. It is men who go to sea to fish. They do all the hard work in the fields growing crops. They are also those who build boats, houses and so on -  all hard work. These activities have their impact on life spans.”

“In addition to all that they labour with us in bed.”

Soki laughed and said “You’re wrong. They enjoy themselves using our bodies. After that they sleep long. My husband would be restless till then and then sleep peacefully. Of course, I would also drop off to sleep but I wouldn’t sleep that well.”

Zeema said “In my case he wouldn’t go to sleep. He would want me again when I was tired. He would say you’ve only to lie back and cooperate.”

Soki laughed and said “You cooperated but produced no children.”

“There’s no point dwelling on that.” She continued “As I had told you I got details on more than 20 families regarding age, number of children and the age when mortality struck. The men who produced more children died sooner. It’s necessary for the future to restrict men from producing too many children.”

Soki laughed aloud and said “Try saying that and guess who will raise the flag of dissent! It would be women.”

“This isn’t a laughing matter. I’ve found that most people don’t think deeply on these aspects. Should we not have a concern about our future?”

“What can you do about it? Perhaps only think about it some more!”

“You’re wrong. I’ve a genuine concern about the future. I’ll be going to Zelli. She will help me to get a feedback on my thoughts.”

Zelli was a tavern keeper. She was middle-aged, corpulent but was a very good business manager. She would talk appropriately to customers, serve them what they want and keep them happy. She had a wide range of customers who would keep talking to her frankly on day to day issues.

The next afternoon Zeema set off for the tavern. Zelli who was supervising operations within, greeted Zeema and said “How come you’re so early Zeema? You don’t drink or have you started?”

Zeema told Zelli the reason for her visit.

Zelli said “You seem to have studied it a great deal. You want me to get views of my customers so that you could urge authorities to consider action for the future. It is a good thought no doubt, but between you and me, women will revolt. Anyway I’ll get a feedback and tell you in about a week. Now that you’re here I can offer you a flagon of liquor free. Do sit down take it.”

Zeema said “Many thanks Zelli. But now I’ve some other work. May be I’ll come again some other time to accept your offer of a flagon.”

Zelli laughed and said “Don’t forget to come back after a week. I’ll tell you what my customers have to say. My gut feeling is that women wouldn’t accept your proposal.”

“That’s what my sister Soki had to say. Anyway I’m determined to sow the seeds for the future of our people. I eagerly await the results of your questioning your customers.”

After Zeema had left, Zelli’s first customer was Zek the fisherman. She served him his drink and sat talking to him.

Zek heard her and after thinking a little said “Zelli you’re a woman. Tell me would you allow your husband to neglect you?”

“No. I’ve 4 children but he is gone.”

“I’ll tell you what I feel: If you start looking at it your way there will be riots.”

Zelli later spoke to some customers about sparing men to live long, but all opposed the idea.

One customer Chumsi said “I need the male to service me. I won’t spare him.”

After a week when Zeema came Zelli said “Zeema both males and females were upset after hearing your views. Some pointed out that there were many men alive who had produced many children. Women didn’t consent to sparing the men, and men said they would do all to get maximum enjoyment with women. You must revise your views.” She paused and added “One woman asked if this matter had come up initiated by a woman when I answered in the affirmative. She said ask that woman to get married if she isn’t married or is a widow. She will then know.”

Within herself Zeema felt she had cast her seed on fallow ground. She returned home determined to find husbands for Soki and herself.

END

March 28, 2022 11:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.