Harlequin

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

5 comments

Adventure Crime Fiction

It is difficult to accomplish a list of your top priorities overall when you have to fight against the drug mafia.


According to the funeral program, a lady would read a brief biography, but a loud laugh that emerged from the bushes interrupted her and stopped the ceremony.

After an accident, Carl Smith the chief of the police department of Lemon City passed away. It was a kind of release for his family that all the funeral service was completely paid in advance some years before.


In that morning, few police officers were in the cemetery to pay their respects. The casket decorated with an arrangement made up of red roses, and a flag on the cover looked impressive. Four voluntary pallbearers with elegant uniforms brought the coffin next to the grave, but nobody noticed a movement between the bushes.


John Jackowski, the man who was wearing a suit of harlequin and a jester’s hat, laughing came out from the bushes, and he waited until the crowd looked at him for a moment before they laugh too. The harlequin did not seem to care about the jokes, and he walked awkwardly to approach the crowd, but he fell down, which caused a new burst of mocking, but this time, when the harlequin got up, he picked up a shotgun hidden in the bushes.



After that, he pointed his gun at the people, and he ordered them to be quiet, but the crowd continued with the jokes. Then the angry harlequin fired a warning shot, and at that moment, the audience got quiet. So he commands everybody to put their chest on the floor and place the hands on their napes, and he said to them he could fire again. After they obeyed him, Jackowski disarmed those who carried guns, and then he saw that some in the crowd were ladies in uniform.


Jackowski opened the coffin and for a few moments examined the corpse’s clothes, and he noticed that the dead body did not have feet, then he ordered the casket bearers, to remove the corpse and take off the jacket to the dead, and then to place the body next to the hole that was prepared before, and so, they carried the empty casket to a truck, while he took the jacket of the deceased.


When the crowd was lying down, Jackowski said that everybody could get their weapons back, after the moment that he could go away, and he dropped the guns in the hole made for the coffin. When he was talking about this, a car appeared, and some men in black got out there, but they also carried weapons, and then the harlequin shot his weapon and got in his truck, while the subjects dressed in black also fired, although the harlequin escaped from there.


In the vehicle, Kelly, a blonde woman who was one of the coffin bearers, asked Jackowski why he delayed so long, and that was bad because to be voluntary coffin bearers is not funny, Jackowski apologized for it, but at that moment they need to run away, and he did not want to talk about that situation. When they get a secure place outside the city in an abandoned house, these people change their clothes and get some food.


Jackowski explained to his friends they have a list of top priorities.


1.-Get the casket and the clothes of the corpse.

2.-Escape successfully with those things.

3.-Stay in a safe place.

4.-Looking for the map.

5.-Search the place of the treasure.

6.- Find the treasure.

7.- Start a new life.


This list is provisional because we could get more difficulties in our way–said Jackowski.


Pedro, one of the group said- You did not tell us about that inconvenience when we accepted this adventure.


For it, if you consider that this situation is too much for you, this is the moment to abandon it- said the harlequin. But after that, the entire group agreed to follow the plan.


The map could be in the jacket or in the casket, for that, we need to disassemble the casket, and cut the jacket carefully through, to get the drawing, nobody knows how is the map or what is made of, for that reason, I got some tools and scissors in a box to work faster. And the group asked him if they would find something like a pirate’s treasure, and Jackowski replied that it was the treasure of a drug trafficker.


When Jackowski and his friends dismantled the coffin, they found one part there, and another one in the jacket. The map was made of fine leather and it had the shape like a kind of puzzle. When the group tried to join the two parts of the map together, their shapes did not coincide with each other. In that instant, the harlequin and his group thought that they had damaged the map.

Then Jackowski considered that the list increased the number of the things they need to do, now they have a top ten priorities list.


1.-Get the casket and the clothes of the dead

2.-Escape successfully with those things.

3.-Stay in a safe place.

4.-Looking for the map.

5.-Unravel the mystery of the location of the map.

6.-Get the missing part of the map.

7.-Search the place of the treasure.

8.- Find the treasure.

9.- Avoid the bad guys.

10.-Start a new life.


The next day Kelly and the others, while having breakfast, asked Jackowski how he had known about the map, and he replied that in prison he had met a man named Simon Mara that was accused of being a smuggler. Mara was apparently a business owner, but in fact, he was a drug trafficker but founded a company that offered funeral services, and so he wanted to go unnoticed.


Because this criminal wanted protection to make easy money, he got a partner who was a police officer; the name of that man was Carl Smith.


But this man betrayed Mara, and then this police officer became the chief of the police department, and in secrecy, Smith continued managing Mara’s territory until his death.


When Jackowski was a police officer, his boss was this Smith. Once Jackowski knew about the criminal activity of his boss, accused Carl Smith of corruption, but since there was no evidence, the harlequin went to jail. After Jackowski got his freedom, he worked as a harlequin-clown. After he knew that Smith was dead, he remembered what Mara told him.


This Smith was the same person who had been in the coffin. And this man had a son who was a tall and strong man, who is also a drug dealer. His name is Joel Smith, and he continues with the same criminal activity as his father.


Then Joel and the other distributors wanted to fight for Simon Mara’s territory, and find his money. After Mara is sentenced to death, he mentioned to his friends in prison that all his money was going to be in the casket of his ex-partner Carl Smith.


Jackowski believed that since Mara could not hide all his wealth in a coffin, a map could show where the money was hidden. It would cause Mara’s friends to loot the aforementioned coffin.


Good story- Said Gabriel- another guy in the group.-But what about the map?-


There are two possibilities for the map-Said Jackowski:

a)The missing part is hidden in the pants of the dead body.

b)The missing part is hidden in another place.

In the first option, we have to visit the cemetery again–Said Kelly,

But in the second option we have to look for it in another part–Said Miguel the other guy on the team.


I just remember that Mara admired the work of his carpenter, his tailor, and his shoemaker, the first one made the coffin, the second one made the jacket, and the third made the shoes, and since the body of Smith did not have feet, maybe it is time to visit his shoemaker.


The next day Jackowski and his friends planned to visit the shoemaker, and they prepared their guns. It worries the group about the possibility that Mara’s shoemaker would not have the part of the map they wanted. Once they arrived at the place, asked the shoemaker for the pair of shoes for Mr. Smith, and the man replied that there was not any, then the ex-clown asked the man for the leather boots for Mr. Smith, and the shoemaker obeyed him.



When they leave the shoe store, they realize that a car is following them, then Jackowski speeds up and the occupants of the other car shoot them. But after a chase, the ex- harlequin and his friends escaped. Once they felt safe, his friends asked Jackowski how he knew about the boots, and he said that in his anecdotes, Mara emphasized that jackets looked better with boots, but the shoemaker had not sent them for obvious reasons.


In the truck, Jackowski and his group found the third part of the map in the boots, and they discovered the place where Mara had hidden his treasure, so they went to the site that was in the suburbs.


When the ex- harlequin and his friends reached the place of the treasure, they found a vast warehouse that had photoelectric cells on the roof, and when the group entered the building, they saw that the floor was covered with metal plates.


Tiny grooves separated these plates from each other, and all the floor appears to be a large grid. The ex- harlequin and his friends see that the warehouse is completely empty, so they think that Mara played a dirty joke on them because the building looked abandoned. They walk into the warehouse and reach the bottom of that place, but the only thing that they can see is the huge metal grid on the floor, and near the top of a wall, there is a metallic shape of a cannabis leaf, then Jankowski shoots to this symbol, and it moves a plate on the floor, and appears a panel of control. Pedro, one of Jackowski’s friends, presses a red button of the control, and at that moment, the squares placed at the entrance area, move down.


Because the plates are in fact gates placed as if they were only part of the metallic floor, and when the ex-clown and his friends looked inside the hole, they saw sharpen spears in the room of those gates. And when pressing a green button of the same control, the gates closed, returning to their original position. Then Kelly pushes a golden button and other doors open down, so they can see the treasure.


Before they can get out of their astonishment, the drug dealer, Joel Smith, and his men arrive and start shooting. After a while, there are wounded men on both sides, but Jackowski and his friends are running out of bullets, then the ex- harlequin challenges Joel to fight without weapons, although his friends advise him not to do it.


Jackowski continues with his plan and walks to the entrance, where his opponent is waiting for him. From the very beginning of the fighting, Joel has all the advantages of his muscular body. And the ex- harlequin starts attacking his opponent, but after a while, the ex-clown is beaten. Then Joel takes out a pistol he carries on his back and points his gun at Jackowski.



The ex-clown asks Joel how he caught them, and the dealer tells Jackowski that it was easy to find them because the boots have a GPS, and he did not have any knowledge about the existence of the map until the ex-clown and his group took the coffin and the jacket.


But now Joel will kill them, At that moment, Kelly presses the red button of the control, and the drug dealer falls into the trap.


After a few days, the police found Joel’s body in the abandoned warehouse. That was not only a dead body, but it is the extinction of a family of gangsters.


While on a beautiful yacht, Jackowski and his friends celebrate to have completed the list of the top ten priorities, and their victory.

Kelly asks ex harlequin, how did he know about the mechanism of the cannabis symbol, and he replies that it was intuition.



THE END.



January 01, 2021 07:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

02:13 Jan 23, 2021

Nice plot and story line.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aman Fatima
05:13 Jan 12, 2021

It's a nice story. Great job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bonnie Clarkson
03:08 Jan 12, 2021

Good mystery, strong plot line. Thank you there was no cussing; it wasn't needed. I kept coming up with questions. What vehicle? Why 4 pall bearers than 6? All the funerals I've been to have 6, none of the pall bearers being women. Caskets are heavy. How huge was the metal grid? Thank you for the like on my story Making a Connection.

Reply

Jess Jet
04:54 Jan 12, 2021

Sorry, I know that I need to improve my writing, and these could be the explanations. 1.- "they carried the empty casket to a truck". That is the harlequin´s vehicle. 2.- Because "the dead body did not have feet...." the coffin was special and shorter and did not need 6 pallbearers, besides that, It was made of wood, and it was lighter. "I just remember that Mara admired the work of his carpenter, his tailor, and his shoemaker, the first one made the coffin......" Thanks for your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Walsh
21:49 Jan 11, 2021

A colorful story that moves, great job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.