One Spring Night

Submitted into Contest #35 in response to: Write a story that takes place at a spring dance.... view prompt

0 comments

General

When winter turns to spring, my father’s mansion turns into the biggest ballroom that my little town of Bloomdale has ever seen. Father hires musicians and chefs all in preparation for that one spring night. That one night that will be forgotten as quickly as the spring breeze changes to summer. 

Tonight is that one spring night. Everything is ready. Our finest china rests atop each table. Every curtain is drawn so that the first spring moon can be seen. The ballroom floor has been freshly polished so that one can see their own reflection. 

As is tradition, Father and I stand just outside our mansion doors greeting each guest as they carefully step down from their carriages and walk into the golden glow that draws them inside. By the time the bell tower has chimed ten o’clock, nearly all the guests have arrived. 

Ascending the steps leading up into the main doorway, my eyes are mesmerized by the chandelier hanging above us ablaze with candles. The chandelier was something my father only lit during the annual Spring Ball unless there managed to be an event just as grand that required it.

Music echoes down the hall, the playful strings of a violin and the delicate notes of a piano reach my ears. I find myself following the beat of the song with each step. Entering the ballroom, I discover the source of my entrance. The room is filled with people, some gossiping by the windows as others twirl about the glossy ballroom floor. The women wear their most eye-catching jewelry about their necks complimented by their colorful dresses with waists cinched in to suffocating proportions.

I lean onto the stair’s banister overlooking the crowd. Why had father created this event in the first place? He was much too old to dance. 

“Cassandra!” Startled, I looked towards the sound of the voice to find a cheerful young man who’s smile appeared all too frozen onto his face. “Looking as lovely as ever.”

“Thank you, Mr. Garner.” He offers me a hand as I descend the steps toward him. “But I really don’t deserve your compliments.”

Phillip Garner. A man of great fortune and very much a flirt. He asked me to marry him last Sunday but I told him I was postponing my answer. I’m not much for turning people down though if he asks me again I’ll do it with a smile on my face. 

When we reach the ground floor, I find his hand still attached to mine despite my subtle attempts to remove it. 

“Cassandra, I’ve been thinking.” That’s never a good sign. He reaches for my other hand but I hurriedly hide it behind my back. “I think maybe we should-”

“Mr. Garner.” I interrupt him. “I’m feeling rather flushed. I need some air.”

He releases my hand slowly, obviously disappointed at my reluctance. “Ah, yes. I see.” He brushes a hand through his red-orange hair. “Maybe later tonight, we will meet again on the ballroom floor.”

I offer a smile as a response and open the glass doors behind me so that I can walk out into the night air. 

It’s much too cold outside for anyone to stand out here long, but I might have to do so until I no longer see Phillip in the doorway. Out here in this cool spring air, I feel less suffocated than under the pressure of watchful eyes from inside. Outside the only things capable of judging me are a patch of purple hydrangeas and the moon that seems ever so sorrowful tonight. 

Suddenly, I feel a weight on my shoulders. With my hand, I pull it off to discover a man’s overcoat and to my right I find a darkened profile of a lean man with his hands dug deep into his pockets. 

  “Sir, I’m quite fine-” I fold the coat in my arms, preparing to return it.

“Just keep it. I can see you shivering from inside.” His voice is monotone though I can’t help but hear the warmth in his tone.

“Just as I can see the way you’re shivering right now.” I hide back my laugh with a gloved hand.

He notices, but chooses to ignore it. “I much prefer the cold out here than to the crowd in there.”

I slip my arms through the sleeves of the coat. It does little to help and I find myself still shaking. “I’m not sure I agree.” 

The silhouette turns and faces my direction, his face a mixture of moving shadows passing by the window. I hear the sound of his footsteps against the pavement before I feel him step closer. When he stands a foot from my face, I avert my eyes towards the open door that Phillip’s broad figure is now unexpectedly missing. As I hear another piece of music start, I get a glimpse of Phillip dancing center in the ballroom with a woman in a beautiful scarlet gown that almost swallows her whole. While I never felt a teaspoon of love for Phillip Garner, what I discover myself feeling in this moment is in between jealousy and regret. 

“Would you care to dance?” 

I gaze up onto his now lit face. His eyes are a dark brown that match with a mess of curly hair covering his forehead. He wears nearly an exact copy of Phillip’s attire and in my personal opinion, looks more fitting of it.

“I would.” And then I lie. “But only because it might warm me up.”

His smile reflects the golden light that comes from inside. “T’was the reason I suggested it.”

Reaching out a hand for me to take, I feel his other hand slip behind my waist. I place mine atop his shoulder and our dance has begun. He sways me softly through the piano and twirls me throughout the violin. We would dance in the shadows and hide amongst the light. We hold each other tight as we spin barefoot on grass wet from recent showers. Had the music ended we might not have noticed. Not when we were dancing with strangers on that one spring night.

April 04, 2020 02:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.