0 comments

Fantasy Historical Fiction Coming of Age

Before I get into this my story, I want to make one thing clear...especially to the humans I worked with to develop their computer technologies. I may not be human but I am not Fae...as shocking as it may seem not all supernatural creatures are Fae. Those tree hugging, nature loving hippies wouldn't know what a computer was even if it fell into their laps. 

I am from the Elxen race, a type of humanoid beings, yet we much more technologically advanced. Basically we are humans in a few hundred years, we even have a planet similar to Earth...well Earth if humans spent a few centuries carefully and lovingly rehabilitating the planet and developing sustainable technologies rather than having pissing contests with one another.

Anyway...to make a long story short, I was assigned by my world's leading council with a few of my colleagues to help kickstart humankind's digital revolution with the invention and development of computers. I will freely admit that I originally had my doubts about this misson, especially because my team and I were the 3rd attempt of the Elxen council to modernise humanity. The first two attempts had failed due to various circumstances, the main reasons having something to do with the natural hostility of the humans towards our kind and their annoying tendency to give up at the slightest obstacle.

It was because of these botched mission attempts which had led the Elxen leaders to their decision for my colleagues and I to originally conceal our identity...specifically our non human heritage. Of course, whilst the humans intelligence is rudimentary compared to my own species...they are impressive in their own right, for an animal species that is. 

Looking at the human's incredously rapid advancements in their digital technology since my kind's aid nearly 20 years ago...all I can say is that for a species that had only been around for a blink of an eye compared to the universe, their capacity for learning and development was incredeous. 

Since this is an autobiography, I have told I must be completely honest...even if this is going to be read by humans. My Elxen name is Anaro Vaclina although my simplified human name I adopted was Andrew Clina. Back in Lexen, my professional title was lead librarian for the historical council. The only reason I was sent on the mission to Earth was to document the process for our historic records yet I found myself actually working on the technology itself on this mission. 

Whilst I will admit that even I...a librarian by profession could understand the incredible basic simplicity of the first human computers, I could not even pretend to understand the brilliant...bordlerline sentient digital inventions of the 21st century. The rapid development of humankind in the last quarter of a century was eye opening to say the least, we had underestimated them. Whilst on a political and social front they may be elementary...there was certainly a reason that they still existed. Their capacity for learning...specifically their inventive and technological scope was astouding. In 25 years they had achieved what it had taken my kind roughly a century to do...yet we were currently the more advanced beings.

If humans put their ability for technological developments towards bettering their relationship with both one another and their planet...imagine how quickly they could evolve as a society? Imagine how quickly they could raise their frequency?

Anyway, back in the early days of the human's digital computers...the pop culture stereotypes of the human's movies were pretty accurate. The turn of the 21st century was filled with socially awkward young men and women fiddling around with whatever ametur technology they could get their hands on in the basement's of their parents home or crowded university dorms. Even though I was over 200 years old at the time of my mission, I still could pass as a human in their early 20's thanks to the Elxen's extensive lifespans.

The hardest part about the mission wasn't the technology part in itself...even though I was a simple librarian, no the hardest part about this mission was socially adapting to a race still primitive in regards to their social intelligence. They were egotistical, impatient and annoyingly opiniated with not a lot to say. Their historic records were so full of inaccuracies, translation errors and blatant bias that bordered on the ridulous in some parts...well most parts.

Despite their flaws, it was actually sort of entertaining to live as a young human male in a university dorm for a little while. It was almost like a sort of vacation for me...even though it was my job. In the Elxen society, everything was carefully planned and coordinated...even our emotional states were carefully managed.

On Earth, the simple joy to be as sporadic and as geunine as I wanted...there was something special about being human, even pretending to be human. There was something remarkable about the human's freewil, about their society's absolute emotional,mental and physical freedom. Of course, positioned in the particular circumstances I was at the epicentre of an inventive and innovative age...I am a tad biased. 

Watching an almost still primative species build their own computers, even with a little assistance from a more advanced race...as a professional documentor it was certainly something to not only watch...but to participate in. 

The fact that humans could direct their talents towards developing digital inventions to greatly improve their quality of life despite their failing relationship with one another and their own planet...it was an interesting concept. In my civilisation we had developed peace with one another and a sustainable, harmonious relationship with our environment before we started on our technological advancements and developments. It was pecuilar the humans had done this in reverse though, I will be curious to see as to what the ramifications are because currently whilst their technology is advancing at a rapid pace their social and environmental dilemmas just seem to be worsening. 

All I can say is that I have done all that I can for the humans...all I am allowed to anyway until my next mission. For now all there is left to do is to observe.

February 25, 2021 09:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.