0 comments

Thriller

Eli couldn't believe it. The presidential conference room stank with the blood that splattered the walls. The furniture was still dripping from the bodies that covered the floor.

"Orders are Orders, Eli." His second-in-command tried to make the best of any situation.

"It’s Cherev, Lieutenant Richards."

"Yes, Sir."

With a flourish, the team spread out, scooping up black bags of viscera.

He was already mad about the timing of this mission, since the global disappearances yesterday. The disrespect to Special Forces was unreal. This felt like a trick. He was the one sent in to cause this kind of scene, not to clean it up.

Eli shoved a gloved handful of slop off the top of an appliance.

Now he was furious.

"What kind of person calls a meetin' of the U.S. heads and kills em? What a filthy mess."

The team froze at his words. He knew to never talk about the job, but he couldn't believe what was happening!

Boots squished from behind him.

"Cherev, you are to report to the Commander-in-Chief immediately."

The reporting officer turned on his heel and marched out of the room. Eli pushed ahead of him, down the maze of hallways into a small white room. The door closed behind him and hissed as it locked. It was an interrogation room with no glass. The walls were giant computer screens that projected a matte white and whomever observed him via webcam. It was hard to tell where the floor ended and the walls began as everything was a blinding white. The proverbial cage was closing in and rings of his noose tightened.

Eli heard a computerized voice prompt over the intercoms.

"You have been banned from existence."

He blinked.

"What does that mean?"

"Human: Category: Secret Service/US Special Forces. Your identity does not exist. Thus, you have been banned from existence."

"That doesn' make sense! Just 'cause I'm not in your stupid list, doesn't mean I don't exist. I've an unwritten identity, an’ for good reason."

"You have been-"

The computer prompt stopped and the static of a microphone cut in.

"This is your President, and commander-in-chief, Arkan Amgir. I command-"

"You're not MY commander, Mr. President of nothin!" Eli yelled.

"Do NOT interrupt me!-"

"You stole the U.N. wit' gold n' kisses durin a worldwide disaster. And now I find you killed all the U.S. officials? For what!"

"That is none of your concern." Arkan stated.

"Tha's it then?"

"Remember your place, Cherev. You are no longer an entity of the United States as they no longer exist. You are a mercenary owned by the United Free Nations of Global Commerce."

Eli was in shock. No longer exist? Arkan was goin to feel the wrath of his 5.56 bullet!

"And when did the U.S. 'bend the knee' to your global truism?"

"As of three hours ago. Now leave, your flight to Moscow leaves in 5 hours. It'll be the last time you remember 'sleep'."

The mic chirped off as the door to his abyss unlocked.

The computer chimed again as he walked back to the conference room of the death of the United States of America.

"You have been banned from existence."

 

 

January 17, 2020 15:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.