4 comments

Friendship

“Give it back!” 

“It’s mine!” I yell back.

“No, it isn’t!” She replies, pulling the top towards her.

“Yes, it is!” I scream and use all my strength to grab the piece of fabric.

“GIRLS!” I jump back, dropping the top, watching it in envy as Kayleigh snatched it up. She shot me a smug smirk before we both turned back to Mum. 

“What do you think you’re doing?” She seethes, her eyes narrowed, her pupils just slits in her eyelids.

I purse my lips and look at her. “Kayleigh took my top,” I say, accusation clear in my tone.

Kayleigh looks at me, mouth open. “It’s my top, isn’t it Mum?” 

Mum rolls her eyes. “I don’t care who's top it is. You were screaming the villa down, for god's sake, girls! You’re thirteen, not four. And now, it’s no one’s top. When you prove to me that you can get along, you can share it. Understood?” She yanked the top from Kayleigh’s hands, shot us one more warning glance, walking off to get ready.

Kayleigh faces me, her perfect teeth grit. “It’s still my top, Lilah.”

“You wish,” I huff. “Look what you did now, Leigh. I packed it!”

She rolls her eyes, just like Mum. “I was going to borrow it!”

I tut, patronising her. “Without my permission? Naughty, naughty, Kayleigh. I was looking for it!” 

She scoffs. “Yeah, right. It looks better on me.”

I put my hands on my hips. “We look the same, you idiot.”

Kayleigh and I are twins. Identical twins. Mum hasn’t told us which of us is older, because that will probably lead to more arguing. Kayleigh goes to school all the way in L.A, where Dad works. No, my parents are not divorced, it's just that they don’t live together. I live in NYC, with Mum. Mum and Dad both love their jobs, and apparently, they pay really well. So, when Dad’s company asked him to move to L.A, he didn’t hesitate. Kayleigh and I were only eight then, but the fighting was non-stop. Mum couldn’t deal with it. Our older brother, Luke, was doing exams, and our little sister, Daisy, couldn’t leave Mum. So of course, Dad took one of us, one of the twins, when he moved. Kayleigh was having trouble at school, so she was the obvious choice. Dad visits me every few weeks, whilst Mum visits Kayleigh. Kay and I barely text, and calls are always awkward. She’s got her own life, and I’ve got mine. 

I’m pretty sure her friends don’t even know I exist.

                                                     ***

Last week, Mum suggested we go on holiday, just the three of us, her, Daisy and me. With her always going back and forth, she decided we needed some bonding time. Luke has exams (again), so he stayed at home, with Gran. We don’t usually go away, but I know Dad and Kayleigh like to go to Six Flags when Dad’s off.

For some reason I should have guessed, Mum booked the flights from LAX to the Maldives, so we had to fly six hoursto L.A. After, a three hour wait in, stuffy, overcrowded JFK. According to her, they were cheapest there. But what really annoyed me, is who I saw waiting at the entrance to the terminal, hot pink suitcase trailing behind her, phone in hand, duffel bag on shoulder. It was no different from looking in a mirror.

Kayleigh. 

Her silky blonde hair, tied up into a sleek ponytail. Tracksuit bottoms, tank top, almost the exact same outfit I was wearing.

I tugged on Mum’s sleeve, like Daisy does whenever she’s annoyed. “Mum! What is she doing here? You said it was just going to be the three of us!” I looked at her, betrayal sprawled across my face, my arms crossed.

She turned to me. “Lilah. She’s your sister, more than that, your twin. We can’t go on holiday almost ten thousand miles away, without her. She’s my daughter too, and she’s coming weather you like it or not. You girls could use some bonding time, anyway.”

“Did you invite her?” 

“Erm, that’s beside the point.” She waves at Kayleigh and takes Daisy by the hand, dragging her towards my sister. 

I watched as Mum rushed over, enveloping Kayleigh in a bear hug, Daisy’s little hands intwined with Kayleigh’s perfectly manicured fingers. Mum beckoned me over, while I attempted to stall, pretending to be interested in the stores that surrounded me. Mum shot me an impatient look, and I quickly headed towards Kayleigh. I gave her a small smile, but I don’t think she saw it. Or if she did, she didn’t want to return it. 

“Uhh, hi,” I mumbled, giving each other an awkward one-armed hug. We pulled away, her identical blue-green eyes looked me up and down, widening at the sight of our similar outfit. One thing we both agree on, is that matching outfits are a definite no. And there we were, same Adidas tracksuit bottoms, Kayleigh sporting a baby pink tank top, mine, white. 

“Awww girls, you’re matching!” Commented Mum, clapping her hands together like she does when she’s excited. 

“I wanna match,” pouts Daisy, frowning at her pyjama bottoms and t-shirt. She took my hand in hers, her other still tight in Kayleigh’s grasp. 

We walked toward check in, Daisy squealing as she rode Kayleigh’s suitcase, Mum constantly looking back, happiness radiating off her tired face.

We reached check in, handing over our luggage. It didn’t take long, so we continued to immigration. That took forever.The officer squinted at us, like they always do, holding one passport up to both of our faces. We went through first, waiting for Mum and Daisy. 

I attempted to make conversation. “So…how are things in L.A?”

She looks confused, then her attention snaps to me. “Uhh, yeah, good thanks. You?”

“Fine, I guess.” Trying to break the ice only made it thicker.

Luckily, Mum and Daisy came through. “Right then,” started Mum. “Do you girls want to look around?” 

“Sure,” Kayleigh and I replied in unison. We exchanged a difficult glance, as we explored the shops. 

Mum got caught up in all the makeup, while Daisy repeatedly requested to find a toy store. Mum wouldn’t take her, so it was left to us.

“I’ll come and find you girls. Just tell me where you are. Call me if you need anything,” she said before focusing on the blusher in her hand. To be honest, I would much rather spend my time messing around with lipsticks than with my twin sister. But that wasn’t an option.  

I began to head in the opposite direction of Daisy and Kayleigh but stopped when Mum whipped around. “Stay together, girls!”

Groaning, I followed my sisters. Eventually, Kayleigh and I fell into pace with each other, Daisy slightly ahead, skipping, excitement for the toy store illuminating her rosy cheeks.

“Mum tells me you’re really into acting,” I said, breaking the silence.

She smiled. “Yeah, my friends and I are in this club, and we’re working on ‘Alice in Wonderland’. The theatre we rehearse in, is amazing. I can show you pictures,” she says, pulling out her phone. Her lock screen was her, surrounded by girls who must be her friends. She shows me a picture of the theatre, draped in red and gold. Regal pillars decorated the outside, elevating the building.

“Nice. Have they casted yet?” 

“Yeah. I’m Alice,” she told me, as if it was no big deal.

“Congrats,” I say, pretending to be interested. “Excited for the trip?”

She nods her head and snarls. “You know, maybe if you weren’t so annoying, it might actually be fun.” 

At that moment, Daisy grabbed both of our hands, pulling us towards the toy store, my mouth still hanging open at the words of my twin. “In here, in here!” She bounced.

We follow Daisy into the shop, and sooner or later, Daisy picked out a doll, and (after paying, obviously) left the shop. I texted Mum, letting her know our location. After a few minutes, Mum showed up and we headed towards the gate. 

We boarded the plane, the stale air infiltrating my nose. Mum directed me to my seat, the one next to the window, and pulled my iPad out of my duffel. I assumed Daisy would be next to me, and Mum on the end. Kayleigh could sit wherever, find someone else to bad mouth.

But no.

Instead, Mum was two rows ahead, Daisy in the window. Kayleigh flopped down on the seat beside me, smirking, where she would be for the next ten hours. How I couldn’t wait to get to London. 

From Heathrow, we switched terminal, and boarded our next flight, this one for eleven hours. I refused to sit next to Kayleigh again, refused to take anymore insults, so Mum took my seat, while I sat next to Daisy. Even eleven hours of dolls was better than sitting next to Kayleigh. 

                                                   ***

I decide on a pretty white top, paired with my favourite shorts instead. Fortunately, Kayleigh had decided on a coverup, and we leave the villa, heading to the beach.

After a picturesque bike ride, we reach the beach. I ditch my towel and the deck chairs, along with my flip flops. I walk along the beach, the calming breeze filling my lungs, the feeling of serenity present in my heart. I face the sea, smiling as I felt the tingle of soft, silky sand between my toes. The foamy sea washing my feet, iridescent turquoise waters sparkling in front of me, sapphire blue sky, stretching endlessly above me, sun shining brighter than it ever has at home. I change into my swimsuit, and head into the sea, sighing in relief as the warm water encases me.

Nothing could ruin the moment.

As I bathe in the water, I feel something on my back, tickling my skin. Tiny needles, pricking my skin as it made its way up my spine, little by little. I stand, my body rigid, my heart pounding in my ears. I tenderly reach my arm over my back, feeling the upper section of my skin.

Then, I feel it. As if there was a shell, smooth, accompanied by thousands of little bumps, flaking the sleekness. Without warning, the creature grabs my skin and pinches it, claws grasping my back, harder than anything I’ve ever experienced. I gasp in shock, a scream escaping my lips, filling the air with an ear-splitting shriek. Over my shouts of dread, one sound reaches my ears over the cacophony of panic. 

Laughter of some sort. A giggle. A sound that could have only come from one person. 

Kayleigh.

I tenderly pick up the crab on my back, short, sharp breaths escaping my mouth as it squirms in my grip. I bring it over my shoulder, my thumb and middle finger barely touching the crustacean, and chuck it as hard as I can. I relax when I’m met with the satisfying plop of the crab sinking into the shingly seabed.

I whip around, as fast as I can, storming up the beach, teeth grit, back aching. Mum and Daisy are in their swimmers, already running in my direction. 

“What happened?” Mum questions, as she inspects me, looking for any damage. 

Daisy holds my hand. “Are you okay, Lilah?” 

Shrugging at Daisy, I death stare Kayleigh, anger bubbling to the surface. 

“What is wrong with you?” I explode at Kayleigh. “Why would you do that? You know what? I’m done with you. First you steal my stuff, and now you want to hurt me? What is actually wrong with you?”

Her eyes narrow, fists clenching. “What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you? Learn to take a joke, will you?” She cackles, stalking towards me. “Get lost.”

Before anyone can say anything more, Mum grabs us, pulling us apart. “GIRLS! The second time today! This is completely, utterly, unacceptable!” Mum hisses, her British accent, strong as ever. “How dare you fight like this? You better learn to behave,” she looks directly at me, Kayleigh sniggering beside me, “both of you.” Kayleigh’s smile vanishes, and I know that hollow feeling settles in both of our hearts. “If you fight one more time, we are going home! And there will be no more vacations for either of you! Don’t think I won’t leave you with Gran and take Luke and Daisy on holiday! So, this is your very last warning, do you understand me?!” 

We nod our heads vigorously, mumbling apologies to Mum and each other. Mum marches off, but Daisy stays by our sides. 

“Why, Kay?” I whisper, my eyes on her.

She looks down, but I see no remorse in her face. “Just…because.”

“Because of what?”

She shrugs, her hair swishing over her shoulder. “I wanted to wear the top. And I thought you would let me borrow it, and then you got me into trouble.” Kayleigh looks up, her eyebrows raised. “Your fault.”

I stare at her, gaping. “If you want to borrow my clothes, you can. But only if you ask me, and then don’t say their yours. Mum knows that it’s my stuff, because she bought it!” I shake my head. “If we don’t start getting along, we’re going to go home, and ruin the holiday for Mum and Daisy.”

Kayleigh tilts her head up, a thoughtful expression plastered across her face. “I guess so. I’m…sorry, by the way.” She smiles apologetically, and I nod my head hesitantly.

“It’s fine,” I mutter, even though it’s not. 

“Li, what are we gonna do?” Her tone is filled with something…exasperation. 

“What do you mean?”

“We’re always at it! Whether it’s over a top, or just the radio station in the car, we’re always fighting!” She says, sighing.

I scrunch up my face. “You’re always starting the fights,” I think, but don’t say aloud. Instead, I murmur, “I know.”

“So, can we just try to get along? Please? For the trip, and then we can go back to our own lives. You know, where I don’t exist and neither do you?”

I don’t trust her at all, she said she acts, so how do I know she’s for real?

I raise my eyebrows at her. “Whatever. Sure,” I mutter. 

A seriousness clouds my sister’s face. She sticks her hand out. “Deal?” 

I shake it, jumping at our touch. “Deal.”

The next morning, I wake up to find everyone else up and getting ready. Rubbing my eyes, I waddle to the bathroom, and brush my teeth. Kayleigh walks in, and my toothbrush drops out of my mouth. Instead of a swimsuit, she’s wearing my most prized top, the one searched months for. I grunt-sigh, rolling my eyes so high I’m certain they bounced off the moon. 

“So,” she began, pulling lightly at the top, “can I borrow?” Her eyes leak distain.

Out of the corner of my eye, Mum’s green eyes are locked on us, watching every move, a lion, deciding what to attack next. I put on a fake smile. “Of course,” I say through gritted teeth.

“Cool. Thanks.”

To get back at her, after I throw on my swimsuit, and waltz up to her. “Hey, Leigh. Can I borrow your white cut-offs?” I give her a sweet smile, holding up my pink top. “It matches perfectly.”

She slowly opens her draw, picking up the shorts, incredibly reluctantly handing them over to me. “If you stain them, you’re—” Mum catches her eye, and Kayleigh quickly reverts her attention back to me. “You’re…completely fine. Great. Brilliant. Whatever…”

I glance at Mum, a skeptical smile on her face. She resumes applying her make up, one eye still on us as she dusts the blush on her cheeks.

Daisy waltzes up to us. “Can I borrow your clothes?” She asks, her hands on her hips, attempting to look grown up.

“No!” Kayleigh and I reply simultaneously.

She huffs and sticks her tongue out, like we used to do, as we break into a fit of giggles. 

It feels so good to be laughing with my sister, again.

So good to not argue. So good to just try and fix what had been broken years ago. 

Even though it’s not much, I feel I finally have my sister back. 

September 07, 2023 12:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Emilie Ocean
16:02 Sep 10, 2023

What an unexpected story about twins. Thank you for sharing this with us, Aneesa. I really enjoyed it. I like that the parents' living situation isn't very common, and although stressed for the MC I enjoyed reading about the relationship she has with her twin sister.

Reply

Aneesa Shamsee
09:17 Sep 11, 2023

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:19 Sep 16, 2023

Nice story. Really well written, everything flows well and was a breeze to read. When I found out there was twin sister, but they lived in different cities, I at first thought that didn't make sense, but then you explained it really well. And you describe the characters and action brilliantly. I liked sentences like this "Out of the corner of my eye, Mum’s green eyes are locked on us, watching every move, a lion, deciding what to attack next." For the critique circle, one thing I spotted was that the first word after these quoted dialogues ...

Reply

Aneesa Shamsee
02:32 Sep 17, 2023

Hi, thank you so much for the feedback! Yeah, punctuation has never been my strength. I’ll take in the feedback, thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.