Space Diaries : A party night

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

*Note: This story is a spin-off/ sequel to my previous story "Space Diaries." You can understand the story without reading it, but if you want to have a better experience you should consider reading it first.

Hope you enjoy the story!*


"When you can't hold anything you are supposed to, at least hold your tongue."


A really good quote, I stole from a good book, and it really gives a good advice. Once you throw the words, you can't take it back, it's gone dear, telling sorry, won't reverse what you said.


"Mike! It's time for the party!" My dear friend Ling took my hand and dragged me into the car, "Let's go!"

"Wait, you shouldn't drive."

"Why not? I am a superhero," he smiled reassuring.

"You are just a thirteen year old kid now, you understand? It's illegal for you to drive!"

"Ok, ok cool, Let the driver come, I'll sit back," he laughed with his joyful eyes.

"Good boy."


Soon, we were there, Maddy's birthday party, wow man, it was so well decorated, the lights were brilliant, colorful like in heaven, and the music was loud enough to be heard by everyone in the street.


"What's Maddy's father doing?" I asked.

"Well, he's a businessman! Rich enough haha," Ling replied with his casual laugh.

"Fair enough."


It was really crowded, like really, a lot of people were there, and as we went inside, I could see almost every one in our school in there, grabbing popcorn and sandwich and watermelon juice, everything was there, and the house was super grand.


When we went inside Maddy greeted us with a hug, well, we are his best friends, and showed us the rooms in his house.


Suddenly Ling got a call.

"Oof, it's my mom, I will be right back!" A classic superhero excuse.

"Well, then, give me a call when you're back!" Maddy waved at him as Ling ran pushing the crowd.


"So, where did I stop? Oh yea! This painting was made five hundred years ago..."

"Uh, can we wait for Ling?"

"He has been here a thousand times," he laughed.


Having a friend who is a super-hero hit's different. He just leaves me in situations where I would really appreciate his company.


After a five minutes of Maddy's ancestral tale, he finally left to get ready for the cake cut.


The chandelier in the ceiling was fascinating, glowing like real diamond, maybe it was, who knows.


Danny and his friends were waiting outside, I could see their faces clearly from where I stood, among the crowd, it was distinct, faces that had come possibly to cause some trouble.


Yea, Danny is a bully, he and his friends think they can do whatever they want, zero empathy beings, I had told Ling a dozen times to bring Downspring to punch some sense in them, but he said then his identity would be so obvious, and heroes don't do that that way.


Danny slowly made his way inside and noticed me looking at him, he stared at me, I stared back, "Come on you idiot, punch me now."

Well of course he can't. It's Maddy's house, not an empty school corridor.


After a few seconds his eyes shifted to something else, I looked where he was looking, oh my god, this is insane.


An yellow suit, yellow gloves, yellow guns, none other than the "Yellow Punk" himself, what a punk.


"Attention humans, now you are all my prisoners, you will be here till I get what I want, if anyone tries to run out, your life isn't guaranteed."


A super-villain in my best friend's party, and my super-hero friend just disappeared five minutes ago, goddamn it, the doors are closed, there was no escape, some people began screaming in panic, but went silent as the yellow punk shot his yellow gun at the ceiling showing us, he could kill us if he wanted to.


The speakers were turned off, making it a chaotic silence. I could see everyone tensed and nervous, I slowly moved through the crowd to make sure Yellow Punk couldn't see me calling Ling.


"Hey Ling, Yellow Punk is in the party, come here now!" I whispered.

"What? Then who is this?"

"What do you mean?"

"I am fighting Yellow Punk in Downtown."

"Two of them?"

"Wait! I will come there soon."

"Ok fast!"


Well, the cops arrived before Downspring.

"Yellow Punk! What do you want? Leave the civilians! We can talk."

"Pathetic Commissioner Callus, you know what I want."

"I don't have it!"

"I don't care what you say, if I don't get it, nobody here is going out alive."

"Fine! We need time."

"Two hours."


Commissioner Callus turned back and went to talk with other officials. I could see everything from the window, and Yellow Punk returned inside. He had his henchmen holding guns at us while he went for his little negotiation talk. They were like twenty of them, damn, where is Ling?


All of a sudden a little girl started to cry.

"Shhh Sara! We will be home soon!" her father held his hands on her mouth, but she didn't stop.

Yellow Punk slowly started walking towards the child, still holding his yellow gun in his hand.

"Sara! Please!"


He put the gun in his pocket, and sat near the girl.

"Hey dear, what's wrong?"


She looked with eyes, eyes that didn't know why it was so silent, eyes that were scared by the chaos, eyes that pleaded to see her mom.


"It's ok," he put his hands on her head and gently hugged her.


Her father was speechless, so was everyone else.

And after a minute or so, he took her in his arms and carried her by his shoulders to the ice cream place.


"How's it?" He smiled through his yellow mask as he saw her eating the little desert with a joy in her face.

She smiled back.


Well, seeing what happened just gave a relief to everyone, an assurance that he's not gonna kill them.


"Can I visit the restroom?" The incident boosted Danny's confidence.

"Sure kid."


Wow, too nice to be a super-villain, hmm, makes me think, is this really Yellow Punk? Not the Yellow Punk I know.


I looked again at him, I stared at his suit, I remembered Ling said there was another Yellow Punk at Downtown, now I am sure this isn't the real one.


"Ring! Ring!"

My phone was ringing, and it got everyone's eyes towards me.

"Um, sorry, it's my mom."

"Speak, now."

I attended the call.

"Mom, I told you already I am Maddy's party."

"Huh? Oh wait, I get it."

"Why did you call? Is there some emergency?"

"Yup, I caught Yellow Punk, I gave him a few punches and he told me everything. Listen carefully, the person who is there is not Yellow Punk."

"Oh, the knife? I kept it in the kitchen."

"It's Dingy, he's a demon from hell."

"Why are you telling me this now?"

"Well, I need a little help, I am outside with a new friend, we need a distraction to get in, You can do it, right?"

"Ok mom! I will eat well! Bye! I love you too."

"Good luck."

I cut the call.


"Thanks, I spoke with her."

"Ok..."


********


Danny was coming down from the stairs above from the washroom.

I quickly got an idea in my head.

"Danny, you are an idiot."

"What did you say?"

"Idiot, you bully, I said you are an idiot."

"What the hell do you want? You think I can't hit you now?"

"Hey silence, shut up both of you, don't you see where you are?"

"Come on, do it, you scared little kitten? Scared to touch me in front of everyone?"

"You asked for it Prav."

He came towards me, with a raging fist, Dingy who was seeing this shouted, "Stop both of you now! Or I will shoot both to death!"

Danny froze, we both looked at his eyes, everyone else looked at us, probably wondering why we were doing this.


"Do it," I said, "Shoot me."

"Wait no! Are you insane Prav?"

"Shoot me Dingy."

"The hell-"


"Dishoom!" What a punch! That would surely have broken his backbone! My friend's punch is the strongest in the world!.

"Downspring!!!" the little girl in the crowd cheered which was followed by a chorus of cheering.

Dingy turned back and stared at my friend in purple suit.

"Strong punch, but not strong enough," he smiled.

"Huh?"

Suddenly Yellow Punk's henchmen began to fade, fade into shadows that started surrounding Downspring.

One by one they started pouncing on him and the lights started to flicker, and the house was filled with screams and darkness.

Dingy started to mix with the darkness and slowly turned to his true form, a creature glowing in darkness like a grim reaper, with glowing eyes in black that gave an eerie stare at you.


Downspring punched off the shadows but they kept coming back scratching him.

"Oh little boy, give up already, they are eternal."

"I know," he smiled as he threw away another shadow.

"Then what are you trying to do?"

"Buying time."

Suddenly I felt my weight reducing, I became very light, and soon started to float, everyone started floating, Downspring smiled as Dingy's face was filled with utter confusion.

"Do it Aristeo!" Downspring signalled to the man behind him, I couldn't see his face in the dark.

The man focused his right hand towards Dingy and were pulled up by a force, the he turned his head towards the shadows and they followed Dingy to the ceiling. They collided with the ceiling and were stuck there by a force.

They looked so creepy the black figures screaming as they were staring at us. The man that threw them up smiled, I could see it. The little girl was creeped out and hugged her father. She looked at him with fear, seeing her afraid of him made him embarrass and feel bad, disgusted of himself.


"Good job!" Downspring smiled as he took a book from his pocket and threw it to me.

"Read it little boy, it will send back these creatures to where they came from."

"Oh sure! Glad to help a super-hero!"

"Ad auferetur ab spiritibus malignis!" I finished the spell in style.

There opened a portal above, sucking in every shadow and Dingy himself into a blue hole."


The cops came in.

"Got it handled officer," my friend smiled.

"Thank you Downspring!"

"Of course officer!"

All the girls and children surrounded him, well I was the person who sent those things to hell, but nobody noticed me other than Danny's angry eyes, I silently merged into the group.


"Is everyone okay?"

"Yup! We are all fine! Thanks to you!"

"I am glad," Downspring smiled.


The house was now a total mess, all the food: popcorn, sandwich and ice cream were spilt on the floor, thanks to that mysterious person who lifted everything in air. I noticed that the painting Maddy explained me about had fallen down and was stamped by everyone running towards Downspring.

*****


Everyone went home after that never forgettable party night, my friend changed back to casuals.

"Prav meet Aristeo, he can control gravity, Aristeo this is my friend Prav."

"Nice to meet you Aristeo!"

"Glad to see you kid!"

"Well, thank you so much for coming as soon as I asked."

"No problem, well... I lost everything I had in life, now I have nothing else to do, at least I could save lives."

"I am sorry about Elena..."

"How do you know?"

"I've been watching you for the past week."

"Oh..."

" I am sorry I couldn't help..."

"It's fine... You are just a kid."


Damn I had no idea what they were talking about until Ling explained it afterwards. So, Aristeo was an alien friend, really cool to have super powered friends, really. And it seemed his wife died yesterday night, I showed my condolences, damn losing someone that early really had him broken, as I could see in his eyes.


It was an eventful night, only thing I was scared of was going to school the next day, I had pissed of Danny like anything.


While we were talking suddenly we heard a "Hey!"

We looked back, none other our best friend, Birthday boy Maddy.

"Maddy!"

"Hey Lingesh! Hey Prav! And hey-"

"Aristeo"

"Hey Aristeo! I am sorry for what happened in party."

"It's ok Maddy, not your fault," I assured.

"I am sorry the party ended like that," Ling said.

"It's ok! I came back to ask, if you guys would like to hang out tonight?"

"Sure! Your birthday isn't over yet! We still have time!" Ling said.

"Yay! Let's go then! I pick where we go first, right?"

"Ok haha! Aristeo you can come with us too, your Ling's friend right?"

"Thank you! And yes!"

"Okay then! What we waiting for? Let's goo!"


All four us started walking in the moonlight. How beautiful the sky was, is still in my eyes, A sea filled with glittering gems and a beautiful glowing white round fish, like in my dreams, I looked at them and gave a peaceful smile.


*******



May 14, 2021 13:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.