1 comment

Fiction Friendship Adventure

The kettle whistled on the stove, steam rising in clouds across the kitchen to the open window. Outside, the mountains in the distance towered above the low fog that clung to them, as the light was beginning to fade. Emily poured the hot water into the awaiting teapot, covering it over with the knitted tea-cosy that had once belonged to her beloved Nana. She turned excitedly to her housemate Sarah, who was pouring over the maps which spread across the kitchen table.

“This weather should break tomorrow so we should have perfect conditions,” a grin spread across Emily’s face as she spoke, trying to contain her excitement at the prospect of adventure.

They had planned this trip weeks before, whilst sat in the warm, cosy village pub on a cold February’s evening. Their first ever wild camping expedition.

“It’s looking good, isn’t it?” Sarah replied, returning the grin. “Shall we have a check through to make sure we’ve got everything?”

They piled their gear on and around the kitchen table.

“Tent, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, food, extra layers,” Sarah reeled off.

Emily returned to the kitchen side where she poured the hot tea into two mugs, adding a splash of milk. She stirred them both a bit too enthusiastically with the teaspoon but managed to contain the whirlpools she’d created.

She passed Sarah her mug, handle outstretched towards her.

“Thank you,” she said, taking the offering from her friend.

They both cradled their mugs in their hands, sipping the hot tea, whilst going through the final inventory.

“Water, first aid kit, maps, cutlery, stove, and of course…tea bags! That should be everything. We’ve just got to fit it all in there now.” She gestured to the two rucksacks on the tiled floor.

They packed, re-packed, and finally managed to squash everything into the two rucksacks, closing them with a satisfying click of the buckle.

“We’d better get some rest then,” said Sarah, “we’ve got an early start in the morning.”

***

The loud piercing alarm broke the mornings silence. It was still dark outside.

The two friends got themselves ready, the energy of excitement and anticipation passing between them. They both headed down to the kitchen.

“Beans on toast and a cuppa?” Sarah suggested, rummaging through the cupboards.

“Perfect,” replied Emily.

They ate their breakfast whilst discussing the plans for the day.

“If we get up onto that ridge there, then just below next to the loch, that will make the perfect camping spot,” decided Sarah, pointing at the location on the map.

They washed up their plates and mugs, leaving them to drain on the side.

Coats and rucksacks on, they headed out of the front door and into the hills.

***

The mug hurled past Stephanie’s head and hit the wall behind her with a loud smash. It broke and hot tea ran down the pale cream wall, the light brown stain soaking into the plasterboard.

Bastard she thought, the irony being the mug had a bold ‘worlds best girlfriend’ slogan on the side.  

I can’t deal with this anymore.

She went to grab her car keys from the low coffee table in the middle of the cottage living room. As she leant towards them a plate came flying past. She ducked out of its way.

“You’re not going anywhere,” her boyfriend declared menacingly through clenched teeth.

Ben and Stephanie had been seeing each other on and off for the past eighteen months. It was always the same story. He would hurt her. She would leave. He would beg for her forgiveness and convince her he had changed. She would return. Then everything would be amazing, a perfect romance. He would be so kind and loving towards her, she would believe that he had changed. She believed she was now safe. It didn’t last long though.

She sidestepped and moved forwards to grab her jacket from the back of the sofa. He appeared in the kitchen doorway. This time there was a steely glint from his right hand. A knife.

She stepped away leaving the jacket in its place. She backed up quickly to the front door, fumbling behind her to open the lock. She yanked the door open as he lurched towards her. She ran. She didn’t know where to, but she ran. She ran until her legs ached and her lungs burned, and she was sure he wasn’t following her.

This time he had taken things too far.

***

Emily and Sarah followed the winding footpath along the bottom of the steep sided valley. Rocks littered the hillside and a babbling brook could be heard over the sound of the sheep in the distance. Skylarks called overheard, their calls echoing around the valley.

The sense of inner peace was immense. The beauty and magnitude of the environment around them demanded respect; here they were so small and insignificant in the world, it made them know what it meant to feel alive.

The footpath meandered around the side of the hill and just below they could see a large village. As they turned a corner, they could see a figure ahead. The person was crouched down on a large rock, hugging their knees in towards them. Slowly rocking backwards and forwards.

Sarah and Emily looked at each other. This wasn’t what they were expecting in the middle of the Scottish Highlands. Was this somebody that needed their help?

As they approached cautiously, they realised the figure was a young woman. She wore jeans and a dark t-shirt. Her trainers were soaked through, and she didn’t appear to have a jacket.

“Hey,” said Emily as they approached. Her voice was clear but had an element of caution. She knew that neither of them really knew how they should approach this woman, she was undoubtedly having some sort of crisis.

“Are you cold?” Sarah asked, whilst pulling out some spare layers out of her rucksack. “Here put this on.” She placed a jacket around the woman’s shoulders.

Emily fumbled in her rucksack and pulled out her flask. She poured a cup of tea in the lid of the thermos and handed the lady the cup.

“Here, drink this.”

Stephanie took the cup from Emily and took a sip. She smiled. Tea. You can’t beat a bit of Great British first aid. She pulled the jacket a little tighter around her shoulders as she shivered.

“Thank you,” she mumbled to the two women that had appeared from nowhere but seemed intent on helping.

“What’s happened?” asked Sarah inquisitively. She suddenly realised that this could be taken as rudeness. “You don’t have to tell us if you don’t want too,” she added quickly.

Stephanie turned her head slightly to show them a faded bruise on her temple.

“Boyfriend troubles,” she answered bluntly. “Anyway,” she said changing the subject, “what are you two doing up here? Where are you going with those?” She pointed to the two large rucksacks.

“We’re walking,” Emily replied. “We’ve got a two-day hike planned. Got our camping stuff for a night under the stars. We don’t have to though; we can help you get back down to the village if you’d like?”

“ I can’t go back tonight.”

Stephanie thought back to the knife in Ben’s hand. Would he have used it? She shivered. I don’t think I’d have wanted to stay to find out.  

She suddenly had a thought.

“You two seem really nice. I don’t want to crash your party, but I can’t go back there tonight. Not to him. I’m worried he’d…that he’d…” she faltered before taking a deep breath to continue. “I’m worried he’d hurt me, like really hurt me…he had a knife this time.”

Emily and Sarah were stunned, their eyes widened, they both felt such an outpouring of love for this woman. She needed help. She needed them.

Stephanie thought about it for a moment before asking.

“Can I join your hike?”

***

The three women followed the footpath high up onto the open ridge, the vast expansive views opened up beneath them. They put their arms around each other’s shoulders and hugged. They had reached the summit.

Stephanie had asked if she could join them, and Emily and Sarah had instantly obliged. They opened out their rucksacks and gave Stephanie their spare clothing to wear. Luckily, they had bought extras of most things, so felt that they could easily accommodate their new friend.

As they walked, they chatted, laughed and as Stephanie eased into their company, she even felt comfortable enough to open up on her private matters with them. This was the therapy she needed. A hike in the mountains and a good girly chat.

They camped that evening in a beautiful spot, overlooking the loch. They cooked their dinner of meatballs and pasta on the camp stove. Followed of course by a nice cup of tea.

Cradling the mug between her hands, she gazed at her two new friends, and felt a peace within herself. It was strange, they had only met earlier today, yet she felt as if she had known them her whole life. She felt sure that this was the essence of adventure, the close relationships and bonds that are built by sharing experiences together. She felt safe and relaxed in their company.

As they squashed into the small backpacking tent that night, they giggled, trying to make themselves a cosy sleeping spot. As Stephanie rolled over to sleep, she felt she knew what she had to do about Ben. Maybe this time she could actually be strong and be true to herself. For once she felt as if she wasn’t alone in this world.

***

“We’ll come with you” said Emily, squeezing Stephanie’s hand.

After a good night’s sleep, in fact one of the best that Stephanie had had in a while, they descended the hillside back to the village where Stephanie lived.

As they came closer to the cottage, they could see no lights were on, it looked empty. Stephanie rummaged amongst the pots outside the front door. She had no idea if that spare key was still there. Ben had a habit of getting himself locked out after the pubs closing time. Aha! Her fingers wrapped around the cool metal of the key. She opened the front door and let herself in.

Everything was as she had left it the other day. Except there was an additional smashed vase that lay in pieces on the far side of the kitchen.

She went upstairs and packed her things as quickly as she could. Whatever she could fit into this one bag was all that she was taking with her.

As she stepped back out through the front door, she turned to shut it behind her.

“Steph! Baby…”

She turned to see Ben running along the street towards her.

“I’m so sorry baby, I was out of order. It won’t happen again, I promise,” he spoke in such a sincere tone, Stephanie faltered.

“Honestly babe, I’m not that person anymore.”

He took hold of her hand and brought it to his mouth, kissing it gently. His piercing blue eyes, burnt into hers, burnt into her soul.

Could he have changed? Was he being honest with her?

She stepped back away from him suddenly.

“No. Not now, not ever.”

She spoke defiantly and noticed the change in his eyes.

“Where are you going to stay on your own?” he sneered.

“With my girls.”

With that she turned on her heel and linked arms with her two new friends. They were far more important to her than they already knew.

They headed back along the road to their cottage in the next village along. When they arrived, they piled in through the front door.

“You were amazing!” grinned Emily, hugging Stephanie.

Sarah stepped into the kitchen and filled up the kettle with water. She lit the stove underneath and rummaged in the cupboards for some clean mugs.

“Right then, who’s for tea?”

January 12, 2022 19:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

20:09 Jan 20, 2022

Hi Rachel! We got matched up via the Reedsy Critique Circle. Loved your story, it was very heartwarming that Stephanie found new friends to get her out of the toxic relationship. I really liked your plot and arc, it was the perfect size for a short story. One thing I wish I got more of is is how Stephanie got closer to Emily and Sarah over the hike. Hope you keep writing, I love heartwarming and empowering stories like these!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.