Title: Vengeance in the Name of Love

Written in response to: Start your story with someone vowing to take revenge.... view prompt

0 comments

Thriller Drama

Title: Vengeance in the Name of Love

I stood at the edge of the cliff, looking down at the raging sea below. The waves crashed against the rocks, creating a deafening roar that echoed in my ears. The wind whipped my hair around my face, but I didn't feel its cold sting. All I could feel was the burning fire of hatred that consumed me.

I vowed to take revenge, and I would stop at nothing until I had exacted my revenge on the one who had caused me so much pain.

It all started two years ago when I fell in love with a man named David. He was everything I had ever wanted in a partner – handsome, charming, and funny. We had a whirlwind romance that was straight out of a fairytale. We traveled the world, tried new cuisines, and explored new cultures together. It was the happiest time of my life.

But then, one day, everything changed. David started acting distant, and I could sense that something was wrong. I tried to talk to him, but he would always brush me off, saying that he was just stressed from work. I believed him at first, but as time went on, it became clear that there was something else going on.

One day, I came home early from work and found David in bed with another woman. I was devastated. My world crumbled around me as I realized that the man I loved had been cheating on me. I confronted him, but he didn't even try to deny it. He told me that he had fallen out of love with me and that he was sorry.

Sorry. That was all he had to say after everything we had been through. Sorry for breaking my heart, sorry for shattering my dreams, sorry for destroying our future together.

I couldn't forgive him. I couldn't forget the pain he had caused me. So I left him. I packed my bags, walked out the door, and never looked back.

But the pain didn't go away. It festered inside me, growing into a seething hatred that consumed me. I couldn't let David get away with what he had done to me. I had to make him pay.

And so, I began my plan for revenge.

It started with small things – sending him anonymous messages, leaving threatening notes on his car, and making prank phone calls in the middle of the night. But soon, my revenge became more elaborate. I started to break into his house when he was away, rearranging his furniture, stealing his possessions, and leaving cryptic messages on his walls.

At first, David didn't seem to notice. He thought it was just a series of strange coincidences. But then, he started to become paranoid. He installed security cameras, changed the locks on his doors, and hired a private investigator to find out who was behind the attacks.

I was careful not to leave any evidence behind. I wore gloves, covered my face, and made sure to leave no trace of my presence. But still, David was getting closer to discovering my identity.

And then, one night, everything changed. I was in David's house, planting evidence to frame him for a crime he didn't commit, when he came home unexpectedly. I panicked, and before I could escape, he caught me.

He was furious. He screamed at me, demanding to know why I had been tormenting him for so long. I could see the fear in his eyes, the realization that he had been living with a monster for the past year.

But I didn't care. All I wanted was revenge.

I lunged at him, and we fought with a ferocity that I had never experienced before. I was fueled by my anger, my hatred, my need for vengeance. But David was stronger than I had anticipated. He fought back with equal force, his rage and fear giving him an edge over me. We traded blows, slamming into walls and knocking over furniture, until finally, he overpowered me and pinned me to the ground.

He held me there, his breath coming in ragged gasps, his eyes burning into mine. "Who are you?" he demanded. "Why are you doing this?"

I couldn't answer. My throat was dry, my body weak. All I could do was stare up at him, my eyes filled with hate and resentment.

David's grip tightened, and for a moment, I thought he was going to kill me. But then, something changed in his expression. He looked at me with a mix of pity and sadness, as if he could see the pain and suffering that had driven me to this point.

"You're sick," he said, his voice low and hoarse. "You need help."

I wanted to scream at him, to tell him that he was the sick one, that he was the reason I had become this way. But I couldn't speak. I was too weak, too broken.

David let me go, and I collapsed onto the ground, gasping for air. He stood there for a moment, looking down at me, before turning and walking away.

I watched him go, my heart pounding in my chest. Part of me wanted to run after him, to finish what I had started, to make him pay for what he had done to me. But another part of me knew that I had gone too far, that I had lost sight of what was right and wrong.

I crawled over to a nearby couch, pulling myself onto it with shaking hands. I sat there for a long time, staring out at the darkness, trying to make sense of what had happened.

In the end, I knew what I had to do. I had to let go of my hatred, my need for revenge. I had to move on and find a way to heal.

It wasn't easy. It took months of therapy, of soul-searching, of confronting my demons. But slowly, I began to feel like myself again. I started to see the world in a different way, to appreciate the beauty and wonder that surrounded me.

And David? I never saw him again. He moved away, leaving behind the memories of what had happened between us.

But I didn't forget. I never forgot the pain he had caused me, the anger and hatred that had consumed me. And yet, I knew that I had to forgive him, to let go of the past and find a way to move forward.

Vengeance had been my driving force for so long, but in the end, it had only led me to despair. It had taken everything from me, leaving me with nothing but a hollow shell of a person.

But now, as I stood at the edge of the cliff, feeling the wind on my face and the salt in my hair, I knew that I was free. Free from my past, free from my pain, free from my need for revenge.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and let go.

March 17, 2023 16:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.