4 comments

Holiday

DINNER WITH BTS

    It was on a Monday evening, the sky shone brightly as the sun went down. The breeze was so cool and the neighbourhood was silent. My family of three, my father, mother, and I sat at dinner, it was a pleasant meal consisting of chicken biryani, apple juice, tandoori chicken, lamb kebab, spiced veggie burgers, dal, roti and palak paneer. It was my final meal with my parents before moving to London to study law. My father spoke to me afterwards, he advised me to always believe in myself and commanded me not to bring shame to the family. My mother couldn’t say anything to me she only hugged me and we both cried. The following day, I left for London.

     My first day in law school was a nightmare. I went up to the students in my class to exchange pleasantries but they mocked me calling me a brownie and making fun of my accent. Little did I know that it would be the beginning of my problems. On Tuesday morning, I was a little bit late for classes as I entered the classroom, the lecturer stopped and asked the class if they would defend an Indian who is accused of murder. They all replied in the negative each defending their claim by calling me an inferior chocolate brownie. I ran out of the class in tears and hid behind the school building. I picked up my phone and searched my facebook to see if my best friend Anusha had replied my chat. Then a video of BTS was recommended to me. It was a video of the BTS run episode which premiers every Tuesday. As a lover of Kdramas, I decided to watch the video to know who the seven boys are. As I watched them play around as a family, I completely forgot to check my facebook messenger. I was so surprised at how much they made me laugh. Then I saw another video titled UNHELPFUL GUIDE TO BTS, I watched it and the video was indeed unhelpful. I couldn’t figure out who was who and they had about three different names so it took me five days to master their names and faces and thereafter, I was hooked up. I listened to their songs and it encouraged me a lot. In 2017 they were invited for the first time to America and performed in The Ellen Show and other shows. I saved enough money to attend the shows and watch them perform live. My favourite songs are I NEED YOU, DNA and BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS. In 2019 they hit it really big and had a world tour in different countries, their success story encouraged me and was the only thing that kept me going. Before I sleep and after I wake up, the first thing I did was listen to LOVE YOURSELF: ANSWER. This song is very personal to me because it was the reason why I developed self-confidence and boldness. I joined the debate club in my school and advocated against racism. In less than two weeks, I became popular in school and my SAY NO TO RACISM club increased by 300 persons.

        During the winter break in 2020, BTS were to have their winter package in London but the location was unknown. On a Wednesday afternoon, I went to the grocery store to get me some groceries and then I met two members of BTS, Jungkook and Jimin. I didn’t know what to do, I wanted to run away when I heard them struggling to tell the staff what they wanted in English. I had already mastered Hangul in case I met BTS and finally a golden chance to reap the fruit of my labour was staring at me. I went up to them and conversed with them, asking them what they wanted and assuring them that as their biggest fan, I would do my best to help them. Shortly after, they were done with the shopping and it was time to say goodbye. I couldn’t believe it, I didn’t want them to go I wanted to stay a little longer to tell them how much I love them, how they have helped me find my courage and be where I am. Unfortunately, I couldn’t. as they left, I bent down and wept profusely, I felt like my heart had been shattered. Suddenly, someone tapped me on my shoulder I looked up and it was Jungkook. He asked me to have dinner with them and I had to ask him to repeat it three times to be sure I heard correctly. He smiled at me, the most beautiful bunny smiles ever, he walked towards their van and beckoned on me with his hands. I followed him and in thirty minutes, we were in the house of BTS. The other five members were surprised to see me but when Jimin explained how much I wept to them, they let me in assuring me that they would let me have dinner with them as part of fan service.

    I observed them carefully to see what they really are and how they act in reality. They were so loud and noisy. The eldest members Kim Seok Jin and Min Yoongi were making dinner while the remaining five members distracted them. They sang loudly and ate the ingredients for the food. Jin lost his cool and scolded them but they were silent for exactly ten seconds before they all laughed at him and teased him for acting like an old man. I promised myself to be well behaved when I got there and to comport myself in the most unique manner but it failed because they made me laugh so hard, I rolled on the floor. Finally, it was time to have dinner with the boys and it was the best moment of my life. Jin made samgyeopsal, kimbap, Japchae and ramen while Yoongi prepared chicken kalguksu and a strange food which had an Italian name and lots of garlic. Kimchi and soda were also served. It was a family dinner shared by seven boys who are not biologically related and a girl they had just met, but it felt like I was having dinner with my seven brothers who are septuplets. They fed each other and also offered to feed me, of course, I gladly accepted. We ate and ate until we couldn’t eat anymore.  

November 28, 2019 08:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Natasha Arnold
01:18 Dec 03, 2019

I LOVE THAT AHHHH!!!~

Reply

Favour Julius
07:16 Dec 03, 2019

Thanks a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katherine L
22:48 Dec 03, 2019

fellow army here - i'd never thought i'd come across a bts-related entry but i'm glad i stumbled across yours! it was a wonderful read.

Reply

Favour Julius
06:13 Dec 04, 2019

Thanks a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.