Mitzee’s Revenge

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Start your story with someone vowing to take revenge.... view prompt

30 comments

Fiction

Someone is going to pay, and they are going to pay dearly, Mitzee fumed silently. Actually, no! He wasn’t going to be silent. He opened his mouth and yowled, continuously.


He paced in his cell, the four walls seemed to close in upon him and he, who was never claustrophobic, even in the tightest of spaces, began to feel like he couldn’t breathe. Minimum security, my ass! He thought.

How long had he been incarcerated this time? He couldn’t tell. In a fit of boredom and pique, he knocked a container to the tiled floor, where it smashed with a satisfying clatter of broken pieces. They lay scattered over the floor and he examined the glassy shards dispassionately. The pieces were shattered before him, much like his dreams of freedom, fame and followers, their edges sharp and lethal.


When security entered the cell after being absent all day, the male guard bemoaned the fate of Nana’s ‘antique crystal vase’, but the second security guard muttered under her breath that she had never liked the gaudy piece in the first place. She gladly swept up the remnants and disposed of them - You’re welcome!


The littlest one, a scrapper of the most uncommon variety, had returned with the security guards from her day trip. She left for these excursions at precisely the same time each morning and returned before it was time to eat each afternoon. She was the only light in Mitzee’s dark days of imprisonment. Her bright, one eyed gaze sought him out the moment she returned, and Mitzee had learned the pleasure of human contact in her long caresses.


He had heard the other guards call her Cathy, but Mitzee called her Cat, because she was more cat than he was. She slipped her guard most afternoons and spent hours in reconnaissance in the small exercise yard. Sometimes she would shimmy to the top of the tallest tree and stare longingly out at the freedom beyond the prison walls. Other times she would lay on her back staring at the sky in quiet contemplation. When the mood took her at odd times, she would zoom about the exercise yard on a three wheeled contraption that allowed her the freedom of speed her two-legged body could not enjoy otherwise. Mitzee observed these small freedoms through the impenetrable glass of the window, where he would sit and stare longingly at the outside world. At night Cat would bundle up, warm and cozy beneath the fuzzy blanket, and Mitzee would sidle in and tuck up himself into her warmth, curling into the spaces between her arm and body.


The morning that chaos came to the house, was the first time Mitzee had been able to slip away undetected from his prison confines. The door had been left open as a huge green fir tree was dragged up the porch and into the front room. Mitzee seized upon the opportunity and slipped through the open door when no one was looking. At last, he was in the outdoors again. The wind in his face and the sunshine on his back made him smile with delight, and added a spring to his old bones.


Like lightning, he fled across the yard and scrambled up the boundary fence. He was no young kitten, and had never, even in his youth, been as agile as Snow. She was a prodigy, gifted at scaling walls and slipping into houses undetected. He missed her, he thought sadly as he perched on top of the fence, pausing for a moment to catch his breath.


“Mitzee!” A desperate cry had him turning his head, and he saw his little Cat running across the yard, her single eye wide with fright.


“So long, little Cat,” Mitzee called over his shoulder as he balanced his way across the top of the fence, a circus performer on the high wire, before he leapt to the ground on the other side. Without both working eyes, he misjudged the distance and landed inelegantly in a tumble of limbs, but he shook himself off and, with studied nonchalance, he padded away from his prison, one thought on his mind. Well, Ok, maybe two. The first was that he was good, he really was, just like Houdini, only better, and second… revenge. He’d make them all pay. But he needed to find them first.


It was strange to walk these unfamiliar streets, especially as this was the first time he’d done so since he lost his eye. The outward scars had healed, but inwardly there were gaping holes in his soul. On the streets, both eyes were necessary and with only half his sight, he was aware of the disadvantage his blind side caused him. His ears twitched with every sound and he turned his head constantly to survey the lay of the land. He was not going to get jumped this time. If he could find the dog who maimed him, he’d rip his throat out, curse the mangy mongrel!


Mitzee was not sure exactly what he was looking for, something familiar, a return to his old haunts, a chance at the prison wardens who kept him behind bars for so long.


A scuffle to his left had him crouching in a shadow, still and focused, senses alert.


“What have we here? A townie?”


“Nah Bruce, look at his fur. He’s a housie.”


Housie, a derogatory term referring to the spoiled rich kids who lived to eat and be pampered. Mitzee didn’t appreciate the comment and he hissed and growled loudly at the pair of mangy ally cats that sidled into view.


“What are you doing out here all by yourself, Puss?” The darker gray one mocked.


Mitzee arched his back and drew himself to his full height as he growled again a long wail of sound. It was his specialty, some likening it to ghosts trapped in a drainpipe. It certainly set the two back on their haunches as they re-evaluated the situation. Mitzee didn’t allow them to regroup, he launched himself at them, claws flashing and single eye blazing. There was a tangle of limbs and a piercing scream, before tufts of fur and clumps of dirt went flying. 


The two bullies hollered as they scampered away, and Mitzee ran in the opposite direction. Stopping behind a tree, he paused, collecting himself. His single eye fixed on his surroundings, unblinking, as he scanned for the next threat. They would be back. He’d only shocked them, but they were not incapacitated. He, on the other hand, was badly shaken, his heart was pounding, and he limped a little as he felt the pull on his bad leg. The taste of blood was in his mouth, and he couldn’t tell if it was his own or not.


Without waiting around to see if the thugs would return for a second attack, Mitzee turned tail and scampered back the way he had come and took a running leap at the fence. He would have made the jump, if his leg wasn’t so sore, he told himself as he scrambled inelegantly for purchase on the wooden planks before he hoisted his body up to sit on the top of a post. There, in the setting sun he set about cleaning the evidence of his aborted mission away, by smoothing out his coat and washing his face as best he could. No need to look like a street rat.


“Mitzee! You’re back!” The cry was one of delight and, although he did not deign to turn his head to acknowledge the cry, his heart leapt with a surprising flutter, like a bird freed from a cat’s paw. From the corner of his good eye he saw the little scrapper come running towards him, arms wide and mouth opening in a gap-tooth baring grin. Mitzee jumped to the ground and scampered past her into the house, where he slid to an amazed halt. He gasped in shock. There, right there, in the corner of the front room, was a playground. It was so tantalising and mesmerising. A tree, nearly as high as the roof, hung with glittering balls, yards of string, and small jingling bells sat there, just waiting to be attacked.


Mitzee sighed with sheer delight as the unloved kitten within his soul reared its head with delighted curiosity. You know what? he thought. Revenge can wait. This tree needed all his attention, and he strutted forward to investigate. It didn’t stand a chance!

March 20, 2023 11:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Sherri Moorer
15:38 Mar 30, 2023

I love the story told from the unique perspective of Mitzee. Entertaining and intriguing!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:11 Mar 30, 2023

Thanks Sherri. Mitzee is a little scamp hat I have written a few stories about l I’m glad you enjoyed this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
V. S. Rose
00:42 Mar 27, 2023

Great sequel to the original Michelle. I'm impressed at how you are able to build Mitzee's character with each successive story and how you utilize language to describe 'cat action'. You seem to have alot of ideas around Mitzee and the innerworkings of cat life. I've got a little feline myself, but I've have a terribly hard time getting into a cats head and being able to write an entertaining story. If you were ever looking at writing a novel it might be a good character to build a series of books around. Not sure what the market is like or...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:17 Mar 29, 2023

Thanks I’m just having fun at the moment with the character. Maybe one day I will collate them all in one place.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
07:42 Mar 26, 2023

I'm always envious of writers on here who can reprise their characters. I've never been able to write about the same short story people for more than one story, and here you are, giving us a whole epic saga of a character - and that character is an animal, no less. Like I said: I'm envious. Seriously, though, as with your winning Mitzee story, I love the way you frame the character's worldview. The prison/guard mindset, the other antagonistic alley cats. It was a fun way of interpreting a character's settings in the first Mitzee story, and ...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
08:03 Mar 26, 2023

Thanks Zack. I had fun with Mitzee. There are another two stories brewing in my mind, waiting for the right prompt to unleash them, but I’m not sure how much people want to read them. Thought perhaps people might be sick of this old cat by now, so I am happy to read your comments regarding this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:42 Mar 24, 2023

Heh, another fun episode :) This cat is just brimming with pride, but maybe you need to be, to survive the streets. There's things he likes about his new prison, but I suspect he'll never admit that. On that note, I love the way he sees the world, classifying his new humans as prison guards and fellow inmate. "Actually, no! He wasn’t going to be silent. He opened his mouth and yowled, continuously." Ha! Great way to end it too. I actually thought they might have bought a cat toy for him, but of course, a Christmas tree makes for a much...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
00:59 Mar 25, 2023

Thanks Michal. I think I might give old Mitzee a bit of a rest for a while. He’s been a fun character to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:28 Mar 24, 2023

haha... loved the ending. I have two cats, although thankfully they're outside cats, so they've never had a chance to tear down a Christmas tree... :) hopefully we'll hear more of Mitzee? (there are only three stories with him, right? just making sure I haven't missed any :D )

Reply

Michelle Oliver
08:12 Mar 24, 2023

Thanks Lilah. Yes only three stories so far. I think I have one more story to tell, but I will see if the right prompt come up… I’m happy that you have enjoyed them. Mitzee is a scamp, but quite loveable!

Reply

Irene Duchess
15:22 Mar 24, 2023

Yes, most definitely. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darryl Roberts
22:19 Mar 23, 2023

Another chapter from the saga of the marvellous Mitzee. I really liked your portrayal of the little girl, with her pensive but restless nature. I think we need an origin story.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:27 Mar 23, 2023

Haha, maybe. Please don’t get me started. You never know… if the prompts fall right… we’ll see.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
15:30 Mar 23, 2023

Ah Michelle…you’ve done it again! I wondered who would come up with a good revenge tale and you wove Mitzee’s tail all around this one without the usually expected horror of revenge stories. Bravo! Just love the way you imbue these cats with such human-like traits. They are cats, but they are not. Mitzee is the reincarnation of every lonely human looking for that one elusive thing: love. So precious. I feel you and I are both developing a bit of a series with these prompts i.e. you with Mitzee, me with the Banters. What fun following the d...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:24 Mar 23, 2023

Hi Viga, Doing a series is a bit challenging especially as I’m trying to make each a stand alone story. In the first story, Mitzee and his human connect as both of them have lost an eye. Might need to make that more clear in this story. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:30 Mar 24, 2023

You mean Mitzee and the little scrapper, right? Didn’t quite get “Mitzee and his hips a connect” in your response above? Auto-correct or typo?

Reply

Michelle Oliver
16:07 Mar 24, 2023

Typo… note to self don’t reply on phone. Sorry fixed it

Reply

Viga Boland
16:53 Mar 24, 2023

He he he… I either type or dictate all my stories into my ipad. If the auto-corrects aren’t outrageous, they’re downright filthy LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Antonia Sullivan
00:40 Mar 23, 2023

I really enjoyed this story. Your descriptions from the mind of a cat are so well written. Mitzee is endearing and clever and seems so real. Her adventures are awesome. Great short story.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
14:16 Mar 23, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kara Shouse
20:28 Mar 22, 2023

you are amazing michelle

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:28 Mar 22, 2023

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
15:32 Mar 21, 2023

Mitzee is back! And he's pissed! I always learn from your writing Michelle. Sentences that lead with a simile, 'Like lightning, he fled...' or similes generally, 'some likening it to ghosts trapped in a drainpipe.' (I think I'll steal 'likened it' if that's ok?) A question to lead the reader, 'How long had he been incarcerated this time?' And, of course, your sensory detail is outstanding, 'come running towards him, arms wide and mouth opening in a gap-tooth baring grin.' and 'hissed and growled loudly at the pair of mangy ally cats t...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
21:44 Mar 21, 2023

Thank you Jack. I am humbled and flattered by your response. Like me you must be a bower bird for words. Always collecting interesting ones. Collect away my friend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
18:42 Mar 20, 2023

I think maybe the prompt gods are favoring Mitzee! I do feel like a broken record sometimes, but I do enjoy his adventures. This one does not disappoint. I loved his observations of how cat-like Cathy was, and his joy of the Christmas tree. Splendid! Thank you Michelle!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:01 Mar 20, 2023

Thanks Kevin, I couldn’t pass the revenge prompt without allowing Mitzee some more fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. B. Bullet
16:24 Mar 28, 2023

Oh my God this was such a delight! It helps that I adore cats. Apparently Mitzee is a reoccurring character? I'm wondering if I've read the other entries. If not, I'll definitely have to take a look! Very well written story with superb characterization. Gotta take notes! I dig your writing style ~

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:15 Mar 29, 2023

Thank you! There are two other stories posted about Mitzee.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kara Shouse
20:28 Mar 22, 2023

oh and michelle is my middle name btw so cool

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kara Shouse
20:26 Mar 22, 2023

i am so pissed my day has been so hard

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.