0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

(This story is set on earth’s twin GAIA2, 800 years younger and evolving.)

Poz owned a large tract of agricultural land on Rubi Isle and cultivated it so well that he became very rich. He had two wives and each had a son. The senior wife had son Tori and the other had Frill. There was intense feuding between the wives. One day Frill’s mother said ”Frill, your father has reached the age of 75 and is unlikely to live very long. I know he has been considering making his will. If he consults you, point out to him thatTori is a lazy fellow acting in the show business whereas you’re active in farming. Suggest to dad that he should leave 75% of his property to you.”

Tori’s mother said to her son “Your father is sure to consult you regarding his will. Say that as a dutiful son you aren’t pining for it but if endowed with it you’ll handle it well. I know both of you sons consider him a nuisance as he is miserly and wish he goes out of the way.”

Poz called his family together and asked the sons their views about his bequeathing the property.

Tori said “I’m a dutiful son and am not pining for the property. Please leave it as you wish.”

Frill said “Dad you know I’ve followed in your footsteps and am managing your estate. Perhaps I could be given 75% of the property which I promise to look after and increase its yield.”

Poz said “I’ve heard you. I’ll think it over and decide.”

Poz called in the arbitrator and discussed with him in private. He also told the arbitrator about the views of the sons.

The arbitrator laughed and said “Don’t be carried away by what your sons say. Be fair in your will. If you want me to do it I’ll draw it up as you decide. Don’t worry about your sons fighting over your will. I’ll keep the document confidential. Our law says there has to be a witness to the will. My  assistant Riz can be the witness. He is reliable and can be trusted.”

The arbitrator knew the reputation of the sons: They were both perfidious and wanting to get hold of the father’s wealth, but he as arbitrator couldn’t bring himself to tell Poz the truth.

The will was drawn up accordingly. Riz was no doubt reliable and had been honest so far. His wife Kolma was a different type. She was very good looking no doubt but was ready to even compromise on virtue if needed. In bed Kolma asked Riz for details of the will. She had always been indifferent about official matters and Riz guessed she had been pressured in this matter. He said “Keep it secret. Poz is leaving everything to Frill.” It was a lie! He received Kolma’s massive response rendering him hors d’ combat in bed for long! Riz was shrewd and made out that someone was seeking details of the will. A couple of days later he saw certain new items of jewellery in his wife’s possession and rightly assumed they had come from some outsider. Actually Poz’s wife – Frill’s mother - had asked her husband about the contents of his will and he had simply smiled and said “I’ve done it fairly. Don’t worry about it.” She was determined to know the details and had contacted Kolma promising her some jewellery in recompense. And it had had its effect.

Knowing he was to be rich due to his legacy, Frill started spending money lavishly. He neglected agriculture and moving with like- minded friends frittered away a lot of money. His lavish money spending came to be known to Kolma who suggested to her sister Xima that she could latch on to Frill. However Xima was not amenable to instant romance and merely acknowledged his love.  She said “Frill there’s no hurry to marry as we’ve done nothing illicit. Wait a little.”

Frill on the contrary was eager to wed Xima. He wooed her with gold ornaments and precious stones.

Frill told his mother about his love for Xima and she spoke to Kolma. Kolma said “My son is anxious to marry Xima. You know he is going to be very rich. She can start being intimate with Frill as the boy is actually suffering due to lack of a female companion.”

Kolma said “I’ll advice her.”

Kolma said to sister Xima “The fellow is anxious. I can understand the young fellow’s urgency. Accomodate him.”

Xima listened but acted her own way damping Frill’s ardency.

Meanwhile Tori who played the hero in dramas became popular. He decided to take the shows to other islands. The entire cast and settings were loaded into 3 ships and they moved to island after island where they performed. The shows being very popular, the team could return only after 4 months due to repeated engagements. They returned very rich due to the collections at the venues.

When Frill’s mother came to know about how Tori had become rich she lamented “I didn’t expect he would become so prosperous. I was hoping his ship would capsize killing him when the entire property of my husband would come to my son.”

Meantime, due to lavish expenditure and the costly gifts he gave Xima, Frill’s money was exhausted. He now had to borrow. He approached the royal treasurer who was also a usurer for a loan.

Frill said “I want this loan only for a short while. The moment my father dies his wealth is mine. I can repay you.”

The treasurer said “Since you can offer no collateral I can only lend at high interest rates. Are you agreeable?”

Frill agreed and the loan was granted when the treasurer said “If you don’t return the money I’ll seize all your gold jewellery and precious stones. “

“That eventuality won’t arise.”

Frill gave more valuable presents to Xima seeking her and despite Kolma’s urging she said “Frill you can’t have me until we’re married.”

He complained to his mother and she said “I know your suffering since you don’t have a woman to play with. I can give you a maid to tide over the present.”

Frill said “Let me think it over.”

About a month later Poz suddenly died. Tori and Frill carried out their part in the funeral ceremonies.

After the legally deemed 10 days, the arbitrator arrived at the home of Poz. The family gathered round him and he said “Poz had his own ideas about making this will. He made it a certain way earlier, but after rethinking changed it only two days before his death. He has said that the bulk of his wealth should pass to Frill. Tori  gets a small sum as his share as he makes a lot by acting in dramas and so on. Riz again bore witness.”

Tori disappeared from the place. He thought a golden opportunity had been opened for him to pursue the performing arts vigorously.

When Kolma came to hear the news she said “My husband has lied but there is a positive side to it. Xima is marrying Frill.”

END


August 14, 2021 15:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.