3 comments

General

“Oh, My God, I just can’t believe it’s you, after all the chaos you have created in my life, you have the guts to face me “. “Wow , what a man you are, You ruined me completely and after so many years you turn up to say sorry to  your mistakes “. “You have come here, so that you can compel me to forgive your sins, do you really think I would forgive you for what you have done to me”. Lisa was blabbering to herself and there was no one around. She felt that she was dreaming. “Lisa, my child what are you murmuring to yourself, come I will take you for a stroll”. Lisa’s dad helped her on a wheel chair to take a stroll in their garden.

They were breathing a lighter air in the garden then all of a sudden they felt someone was following them and to Lisa’s shock he was the man of her dreams who was traumatizing her past many years. When Lisa saw him she screamed,”You, it’s you again, how dare you stand in front of me when you know very well that I hate to see your face “. Her dad was also annoyed by the stranger appearing all of a sudden and disturbing their peaceful life. “Look mister we have all forgotten the past and we have moved on, don’t show your face again, you have already spoiled her life, what else do you want from her why are you disturbing her and pestering her “.

Let’s go back for a few years from now.

“Lisa, “Jack screamed, “You cannot run as faster as I can, I bet you will lose the race”. “No Jack you I won’t let you win”. Lisa raced with full speed to reach her goal. Lisa and Jack were school mates. They were ace runners and no one could defeat them in racing, except for each other. They would bet against each other and almost all the time Lisa would win the bet in racing. Lisa was an ace sprinter and a perfect athlete. Jack was also a good sprinter but he couldn’t match the perfectness of Lisa.

Once it so happened that there was an inter-school competition for sports especially athletics. It was a very prestigious issue for all the schools, to win the Championship shield and to make a mark in the field of athletics. The winner would get a chance to compete for state level championship and further national and international levels. This could be an opportunity for the winner to reach Olympics.

Lisa and Jack were very excited about this competition. Both of them worked hard for the competition. “Hey Lisa are you ready for the race. It’s just not a street race that you can win, it’s a very professional competition, and I bet that you cannot catch me up”. Lisa got very furious “Hey Jack, Look who’s talking, the boy who cannot win a street race is dreaming of entering Olympics, High hopes ah”. This made Jack very furious he just didn’t reply back to Lisa’s words. He just gave a furious look and sprinted away with a heavy foot.

Lisa and jack were preparing against each other, now it was not just a competition but a question of prestige to both of them.

One day Lisa was racing on her cycle as a work out for her athletics competition. There was no one around. It was 5:00 am in the morning and all of a sudden a bike rammed into her from behind and she lost control of the cycle and she rammed on to tree nearby. The accident was so serious that she got a bad hit on her lower limb especially her ankle. The biker didn’t even look back he just raced fast. But Lisa could recognize the sound of the bike which was very familiar.

Lisa lost conscious because of the shock and the heavy blood flow. When she regained conscious she was in a hospital with her father on her bedside. “Dad, I want to win the competition, I just can’t be sleeping here. Please let me go. “Lisa murmured. She tried to get up but she couldn’t move. She couldn’t even feel her left limb moving. “Dead,” she screamed “What’s wrong with my left leg, I’m not able to sense it”. Lisa’s father was crying hard. He was a single parent who had brought her up without a mother’s affection. His affection towards Lisa was such that she didn’t feel the emptiness of a mother’s care. He was a perfect father to Lisa. But now he had lost hopes he had failed to protect his only child from being hit. It was a disaster to both of them. The girl’s dreams were shattered and now she had to depend on someone for life. This was an unbearable trauma for Lisa and her father.

Years passed and they felt the chapter was closed. But today the same guy has turned up to pinch the nerves of a forgotten past. Jack the person who had ruined Lisa’s life has now re-entered her life again.

“Jack, you know I hate to see your face again. Why have you showed up, are you not satisfied by doing such a heinous thing to your own friend and aren’t you ashamed of your sins you have the guts to face me”. “Get lost, out of my sight”. She tried to shove him away. But she couldn’t because of her condition. She started sobbing hard.

Jack fell down on his knees and broke down “Lisa I’m sorry, I have hurt you and I have ruined your life and your dreams, but I was so furious on that day that I had lost my senses. Do you know Lisa I felt so guilty that I didn’t participate in the competition? I was so scared I just ran away to a distant land and now gathering all the guts me ‘m here to repay for my sins and mend my mistakes. Please forgive me and let me help you in fulfilling your dreams.”

Lisa laughed sarcastically “Dreams what dreams they were shattered and destroyed on the day when you hit me “. She heaved a sigh with a tearful eye. Jack continued, “Lisa please accept my proposal and I will make sure you are going to reach your goal. Please give me a second chance to mend my mistake”.

After a long pause Lisa nodded her head as an acceptance though unwillingly she gave Jack a second chance. Then after a year the list was announced, the list of athletes participating in Para Olympics, Lisa’s name was in the list representing her country. Her dream had come true and she won the most prestigious competition with flying colors.

August 14, 2020 15:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

K V CHIDAMBARAM
19:41 Aug 27, 2020

The story is good and in line with the prompt Second Chance and also the theme is well conceived. On the flip side, there is a little bit more of repetition of words, which could be substituted with different words which I think you will get after a lot of reading and writing. Furious is repeated too many times for example. Best Wishes

Reply

Arathi Raghuveer
14:55 Aug 28, 2020

thank you for the suggestive comments . I will make sure the words don't get repeated. And I will surely make myself to reading more books.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K V CHIDAMBARAM
19:41 Aug 27, 2020

The story is good and in line with the prompt Second Chance and also the theme is well conceived. On the flip side, there is a little bit more of repetition of words, which could be substituted with different words which I think you will get after a lot of reading and writing. Furious is repeated too many times for example. Best Wishes

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.