5 comments

Drama

A WORN-OUT VIOLIN

An unassuming pawnshop stood in the heart of a bustling city, in a dimly lit alley where the world's noise seemed to fade into a dull hum. The air inside was thick with dust and memories, items crammed onto shelves that spoke of forgotten lives and discarded dreams. Behind the counter sat Isaac, a middle-aged man with weary eyes who had seen more than he remembered.

He is a man with a rugged appearance shaped by years of hard work and life's hardships. His face is weathered, with deep lines etched around his eyes and mouth. His eyes are a piercing blue, sharp and observant, yet softened by a hint of empathy when he speaks with Lily. His hair is salt-and-pepper, and he has a stocky build, with broad shoulders and strong hands that show the calluses of manual labor. He wears simple clothing, a well-worn flannel shirt, faded jeans, and sturdy boots. A pair of reading glasses often rests on the bridge of his nose or hangs from a cord around his neck.

The bell above the door jingled one rainy evening, and a young woman entered. Her name was Lily, and she clutched a worn-out violin case to her chest as if it were her last lifeline. Her eyes, wide and desperate, scanned the room before settling on Isaac.

Lily is a young woman in her mid-twenties with long chestnut brown hair, tied back in a loose ponytail, her eyes are expressive deep green, reflecting a mixture of determination, sorrow, and hope and the sleepless nights have left dark circles under her eyes. She wears a blouse, jeans, and a well-worn jacket to protect against cold and rain. Lily is an average height and has a slender build.

Isaac raised an eyebrow, his curiosity piqued by the intensity of her gaze. "Can I help you?" he asked, his voice gravelly from years of smoking.

Lily nodded, her hands trembling as she set the violin case on the counter. "I need money," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "It's for my brother. He needs surgery, and I don't have enough to cover the costs."

My brother, James, needs surgery to repair a severely torn ligament in his knee, specifically the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). He injured it during a sports activity, and while the condition isn't life-threatening, it has significantly impacted his mobility and quality of life. Without the surgery, James would face chronic pain and instability in his knee, which could lead to further complications and hinder his ability to walk properly. The surgery is necessary for James to regain the full function of his leg and return to his normal activities.

Isaac sighed, his eyes softening. "I'm sorry to hear that. But I have to be honest with you, I don't pay much for violins."

Lily shook her head vehemently. "No, you don't understand. This isn't just any violin. It belonged to my mother. She was a concert violinist. This is all I have left of her."

Isaac's expression hardened slightly. He'd heard countless sob stories over the years, but there was something about Lily's raw emotion that made him pause. He opened the case and examined the violin. It was indeed beautiful, with intricate carvings and a deep, rich varnish. But more than that, it had a palpable aura of history and love.

"This is a valuable piece," Isaac admitted. "But I still can't give you more than its market value."

Lily's eyes filled with tears. "Please, Mr. Isaac. This violin is worth more than money. It's a part of my family, a piece of my mother's soul. I can't lose it, but I can't let my brother die either."

Isaac leaned back, torn between empathy and business. He had been in the trade long enough to recognize genuine desperation, and he saw it in Lily. He also saw a reflection of his past, a time when he had to make impossible choices.

He took a deep breath. "Alright," he said finally. "I'll make you a deal. I'll give you the money you need for the surgery, but you must promise to come back for the violin. I'll hold it for you for six months. If you don't return, I’ll have to sell it to recoup my costs."

Lily's eyes widened in shock and gratitude. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice breaking. "Thank you so much."

Isaac nodded, feeling a strange warmth in his chest. "Don't thank me yet. Just make sure you come back for it."

Lily left the shop with the money, a glimmer of hope shining through her despair. Isaac watched her go, feeling a connection to her that he couldn't quite explain. He closed the violin case and placed it carefully on a shelf behind him, a silent vow to keep it safe.

 Lily walked down the busy street, the rain still pouring, mixing with her tears, her heart heavy with the burden of leaving behind her mother’s violin. Each step felt like a mile, and she couldn't shake the feeling that she was abandoning a part of her soul.

She wandered her mind a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. The city was a blur around her, its noise drowned out by the pounding of her heart. How would she come up with the money in six months? How would she save both her brother and the last piece of her mother?

As she turned a corner, lost in her thoughts, a loud crash jolted her back to reality. She looked up to see a white luxury car crumpled against a lamppost, smoke billowing from its hood. Without a second thought, she ran towards the scene.

People gathered around, but no one moved to help. Inside the car, an elderly man was trapped in the back seat, his face contorted with pain and fear. The driver, dressed in a uniform, was slumped over the steering wheel, unconscious.

Lily pushed her way through the crowd, her mind racing. "Someone call an ambulance!" she shouted, pulling out her phone and dialing the emergency number. She quickly explained the situation, her voice steady despite her racing heart.

"Sir, can you hear me?" she called out to the old man as she approached the car. He nodded weakly, his eyes wide with shock.

"I can't move," he gasped. "My leg is stuck."

Lily glanced around, her eyes settling on a bystander. "You, help me get this door open!" she commanded. The man hesitated but then stepped forward, and together they managed to pry the door open.

Carefully, Lily climbed into the car, her heart pounding. "It's going to be okay," she said softly, trying to reassure the old man. "We're going to get you out."

She reached over and unbuckled his seatbelt, then gently pulled him towards her. He winced in pain, but she didn't stop, her determination overriding her fear. The crowd watched in silence, the tension tangible.

Just as they managed to get him free, the sound of sirens filled the air. The emergency responders arrived, rushing to the scene with practiced efficiency. Two paramedics approached Lily, taking over the situation.

"Thank you for your help," one of them said, giving her a nod of appreciation. "We'll take it from here.”

Lily stepped back, her hands trembling from the adrenaline. She watched as they carefully lifted the old man onto a stretcher, the driver already being attended to. She felt a strange mix of relief and exhaustion, her mind still reeling from the events.

As the paramedics prepared to leave, the old man reached out and grabbed her hand. "Thank you," he said, his voice weak but sincere. "You saved my life."

Lily shook her head, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I just did what anyone would do."

"No," he insisted, squeezing her hand. "You went above and beyond. I won't forget this."

A few days later, Lily received an unexpected call. It was from the old man she had rescued. He introduced himself as Mr. Harrington, a wealthy businessman. He wanted to meet with her to properly thank her for the bravery she had shown.

Mr. Harrington is an elderly man in his late seventies, with an aura of dignity and refinement. His hair is a striking silver, neatly combed back, and he maintains a clean-shaven face that showcases his prominent cheekbones and sharp jawline. His eyes are a steely gray, sharp and discerning, but they soften when he speaks to Lily, revealing a compassionate side. His skin is pale but well-maintained, suggesting a life of comfort and good health. He is tall and lean, with a posture that remains remarkably straight for his age, reflecting a lifetime of discipline and authority. Mr. Harrington dresses in tailored suits, complemented by a crisp white shirt and a silk tie.

Curious and a bit apprehensive, Lily agreed. They arranged to meet at a café near the park. When she arrived, she saw him sitting at a table, looking much better than the last time she had seen him.

"Lily," he greeted her warmly, standing to shake her hand. "Please, sit down."

They talked for a while, Mr. Harrington expressing his deep gratitude. He told her about his life, his family, and how much her actions had meant to him. Lily shared her own story, her struggles, and the reason she had been so desperate for money.

Mr. Harrington listened intently, his expression growing serious. "You did all this to save your brother," he said, shaking his head in amazement. "You truly are remarkable."

He reached into his jacket and pulled out a small envelope, handing it to her. "This is for you," he said. "Consider it a token of my appreciation."

Lily opened the envelope, her eyes widening as she saw the amount inside. It was more than enough to pay Isaac back and cover her brother's remaining medical expenses.

"Mr. Harrington, I can't accept this," she stammered, overwhelmed by the generosity.

"Nonsense," he replied firmly. "You saved my life, and this is the least I can do. Use it well, and know that you have a friend in me."

With the money in hand, Lily felt a renewed sense of hope. She hurried back to Isaac's pawnshop, the envelope clutched tightly in her hand. The bell above the door jingled as she entered, and Isaac looked up, his eyes widening in surprise.

"I'm back," she said, breathless but smiling. "I have the money."

Isaac's expression softened, a look of genuine relief crossing his face. "I'm glad to see you, Lily," he said, standing up. "Let's get your violin back."

As he retrieved the violin case from the shelf, Lily felt emotions wash over her. She thought about everything that had happened, the pain of leaving her mother's violin, the desperation to save her brother, and the unexpected kindness of a stranger.

A New Beginning

Isaac handed her the violin case, and she opened it, her fingers gently caressing the worn wood. "Thank you, Mr. Isaac," she said, her voice choked with emotion. "I can't tell you how much this means to me."

Isaac nodded, his own eyes misty. "I'm just glad it worked out," he said quietly. "Your mother would be proud."

Lily left the shop, her heart full of gratitude and hope. She had faced impossible odds, but she had come through it stronger. And in the process, she had discovered that even in the darkest times, there was always a glimmer of light.

 Isaac watched her go with a sense of fulfillment. He had seen countless items come and go, but this was the first time he felt he had truly made a difference. And in that moment, he realized that sometimes, the real value of an object lies not in its price, but in the hope and love it carries within.

As she walked down the street, the violin case clutched tightly to her chest, she felt a sense of peace she hadn't known in a long time. She had her mother's violin back, her brother was on the road to recovery, and she had made a new friend in Mr. Harrington.

In the end, it wasn't just the violin that mattered, but the love and determination that had carried her through. And as she looked up at the sky, the rain finally stopping and the sun breaking through the clouds, she knew that she and her family would be okay.

June 17, 2024 19:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

16:53 Jun 23, 2024

HI Alicia welcome to reedsy! this is a nice story with a good heart and message. Like David said, you don't really need to spend so much time on explaining character's appearances. You will hear a lot the expression "show, dont tell" so rather than just describing what things look like , you can get that information across in other ways like the way characters talk and act. But its all learning! And it comes with practice. And this is great practice! Hope to read more of your writing!

Reply

Alicia Uy
15:42 Jun 24, 2024

thank you Derrick, I loved comments and need them to go on writing, and learning more for the better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
14:53 Jun 22, 2024

Welcome to Reedsy! May this be the first of many stories you submit. A couple of observations: you spend a lot of time (whole paragraphs just describing people). This isn't completely necessary and should be secondary to moving the plot along. Ask yourself why the description is necessary. If it is, then give us descriptions as the plot moves along. Is it vital that we know how these characters look? Because the reader will create a visual in their heads. Also, why is ACL surgery a matter of life and death? It seems her brother may die if ...

Reply

Alicia Uy
19:22 Jun 22, 2024

thank you for your significant observations, I will take it as my first advice as a newbie writer.

Reply

David Sweet
19:54 Jun 22, 2024

We learn with every story. I have received good feedback on here that has helped me become a better writer. The most important aspect of it all is to keep on writing! Good luck with it all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.