28 comments

Mystery

Heavy bass thumps in my ears in time with my footsteps. My arms ache from the relentless motion of the broom. Dirt tickles the inside of my nose. Sweat trickles down my brow. Light filters through the cloudy air, millions of otherwise invisible particles brought to light by the single slanting ray. I pause what I’m doing to look around the room, the uneven layer of dirt showing no sign of the two hours I have been sweeping.

Red fingers rip the long white cord from my ears forcefully. Eardrums throbbing with the missing melody, I let my phone hit the ground with a thump. I choose to ignore the cloud of dust the arises when it makes contact. Just like I’m choosing to ignore the reason that I’m here. Just being here, in this room enlarges the gaping hole in my chest. A long sigh pours from my open lips as my frustration mounts. Tiny explosions appear with my feet, destroying the minuscule city of mud below me. Cobwebs stretch out their feathery arms in the corners of the room, gripping tightly.

The ancient door creaks and squeals as it opens, slashing through the silence that hangs over the room. The prehistoric red Honda, that some might call a car, is parked hazardously across the driveway greets me. Faded paint greets my outstretched palm as I dig through my pocket with the other. Lint sticks to my fingertips, but they are otherwise empty. Slapping my pockets as if that will reveal a new hiding place for my keys, I groan again. Vivid memories of placing the keys in my pocket make me grit my teeth.

Gravel skitters from underneath my feet as I walk back up the cracked pavement. The uneven floorboards fill my vision as I search for the escaped object—all of the furniture was moved from this house years ago, after the accident. From outside sirens wail down the street, red and blue shining through the dirty glass. The loud whine of a car horn pierces through the thin walls. Dull metal winks at me from the underside of a dust bunny so large that it probably took years to accumulate. Pulling my keys from beneath it I walk back towards the door. The keychain I’ve had since I was six thumps in my palm, the soft surface doing little to soothe me.

Parked next to my lame excuse for a car is a glistening black sports car. Each bumper is shined to the point of perfection. From the driver’s side, steps a man in a black tuxedo. Each hair on his head is firmly in place, gelled into a helmet. He ignores me gawking and instead goes to open the door for his passenger.

Whether from my nightmares or my dreams I am not sure, but a tall man steps from the open door. Familiarity washes over me as panic rolls inside my gut. I can’t decide whether to take a step back or to run into his arms. His already broad smile widens as he takes in my reaction.

“Well?” The question hangs in the air, suspended by my ongoing denial about the situation.

A choked sound flees my throat as I back away. The damp mustiness of the house greets me again, but each movement causes the floor to creak so badly that there is no point in hiding. Eyes smarting, I turn to the silhouette in the open doorway.

“Soph,” His smile has faded, and concern now overwhelms his features; his dark brows are pulled down over light eyes filled with tears. The resemblance from our childhood hasn’t quite worn off.

“No. No, no, no.” My hands lock firmly into my hair, the dark curls catching on my shaking fingers. A sob threatens to break loose as I step closer. “How are you here?” The words are nearly drowned by my shaking voice. “You were gone…” My voice breaks, “we—we had a funeral!” Hot warmth races down my face before I can stop it.

Although it happened years ago, the memory still hurts sharp fragments of glass cutting into the corners of my mind. The too-bright sun and the clusters of people speaking in hushed tones. What seemed like millions of condolences blowing through me. The relentless whispers from the corners of the room from people unsure of how to respond to the empty casket. The unsure glances of people mentally comparing us.

“Soph. Sophia. I am here now.” His voice drips over me like warm chocolate. “I promise.”

“How? How can you promise me something like that? You were supposed to be here for me three years ago. But you disappeared. You left me. Mom and Dad can’t even look at me now. Mom starts crying. Dad looks through me.” The cavern in my chest opens again, wider than ever. The officer’s voice plays through my mind again, filled with sorrow and compassion, Is this the home of Cameron Reed? I am so sorry… There was an accident… Ice on the roads… through the side of the bridge… No body… 

His voice breaks as he speaks as if played on an old record, “Why are you here?”

His eyes are filled with so much pain that I can’t look at him, “You know that everyone avoids this place, right? Small children walk by it and start crying and their mothers take their hands and hold them tighter. Because of what happened to you.”

Curls are tossed into his eyes with a shake of his head. “I am sorry. I really am, but I’m not supposed to even be here, let alone be talking to you about…” He gestures limply at our surroundings. Heavy footsteps pass through the open doorway. The shadow of a mountainous figure teeters over me, balanced on the edge of a cliff. It swoops down like a bird of prey shrouding me in darkness.

“I’m sorry. This wasn’t supposed to happen.” My brother whispers the words over and over, trying to convince himself of his innocence. Panic rolls in my stomach as I process the words. The quiet murmur of his voice like the melody playing earlier. The footsteps a throbbing, thrumming bass line.

Large gloved hands grab my forearms violently. A sharp prick in my neck makes the world go black.

July 29, 2020 20:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Thom With An H
20:13 Aug 04, 2020

You have a gift for description. It is a pleasure to read your words. I feel as if am am there with you from start to finish. I am left wanting at the end. Will there be another story that reveals the secrets?

Reply

A. S.
23:19 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you so much! I have actually had several requests for a follow up and I have been considering writing one from the brother’s point of view. The ending was a surprise to me (it was one of those stories that I wrote without thinking about what would happen at all) so I didn’t really think about what would happen next. If a prompt comes up that fits I will probably write a follow up.

Reply

Thom With An H
23:23 Aug 04, 2020

I’ll be waiting for it. You know that’s how novels start. Write it and I’ll buy it. 😀

Reply

A. S.
23:26 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you. I will let you know if I start working on one! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Courtney Stuart
01:08 Aug 01, 2020

hey, this was such a cool story! you did a great job creating an intense atmosphere, and the moment when your narrator was able to confront her brother really grabbed at my attention (and the heartstrings!) your language and syntax was also very well-done - not a single word was wasted i felt like. excellent work! :)

Reply

A. S.
04:22 Aug 01, 2020

Thank you! I am so glad that you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rae H
15:53 Sep 28, 2020

Wow, cool story! It was very well-written and your descriptions were great.

Reply

A. S.
16:25 Sep 28, 2020

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
04:51 Aug 16, 2020

You asked me to look so here I am. Ooh I love the descriptions! Kind of had an ominous feel to it, especially at the end. It was good to read. :)

Reply

A. S.
16:06 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ana M
18:14 Aug 06, 2020

This story is so well-written! I particularly loved the image with the cobweb.

Reply

A. S.
22:47 Aug 06, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Awesome story! You did a good job at how you used suspense here. The ending left me shocked and dragged me in. This was super duper interesting. Great job!🤟🏾😁

Reply

A. S.
13:34 Aug 06, 2020

Thank you! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mila Van Niekerk
06:10 Aug 05, 2020

Wow, that was really good! I suspect the brother is her twin, and her mom starts crying when she looks at Sophia because they look so similar and she sees the kid she lost and not the one she still has. Just a theory though. I really love the story, and the way you described everything .I really would like to know more about what happened.Keep up the good work!

Reply

A. S.
14:41 Aug 05, 2020

Thank you! In my mind Sophias’s brother is three years older than her, but they look similar enough to draw that reaction from her mom. When the opportunity arises I will write a follow up from her brothers perspective.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah B
20:14 Aug 04, 2020

Beautiful imagery. You create the atmosphere of the story quite well, and the plot was intriguing. Left me wanting more!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aditya Pillai
07:00 Aug 04, 2020

This is such a great story! The opening paragraphs set the tone so well, the intricate and vivid imagery pulls us in and doesn't let go. Loved the writing style. The ending is so suspenseful, leaves us wanting more. Amazing stuff, keep sharing these gems! Would love it if you could check out mine too :)

Reply

A. S.
12:43 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you! I am really glad you enjoyed the ending. I will definitely read your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
05:35 Aug 04, 2020

I love how you focused on the 5 senses in this story. It's really creative! The ending is so good, are you going to make a part two? I think you should, this story has a lot of potential! Could you check out my stories when you can? :)

Reply

A. S.
12:41 Aug 04, 2020

Sure! I would love to. Thank you for the feedback. I will probably be able to read through your stories later today.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:59 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
20:01 Aug 01, 2020

Very well done as it flowed along to the end. Definitely can see a possibility of this story moving on. One suggestion since I have a bad habit of doing it myself is using the word "that". There are spots it's needed but not in others. When I reread my stories I end up deleting a few "that".

Reply

A. S.
20:14 Aug 01, 2020

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind for next time. I am really glad that you enjoyed my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
01:56 Jul 31, 2020

Loved the ending! Would you mind checking my recent story out, "A Very, Very Dark Green"? Thank you!

Reply

A. S.
04:38 Jul 31, 2020

Sure! I would love to!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
21:58 Jul 30, 2020

Wow, such a beautiful story! I truly enjoyed it. And I really liked your descriptions! Amazing job! 💜✨

Reply

A. S.
22:57 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.