3 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult

Her eyes opened. "EEE rrr EEE rrr" her alarm clock rang. She rolled over and turned it off and hopped out of bed. She was nervous but a little excited. It was her first day at a new school. She had her outfit already laid out. Bell bottom blue jeans and a baby blue hoodie with a blue scrunchy to match. She hated having her hair down for too long. At the end of the bed were her new fresh white air forces she got for her birthday recently. At the corner of the dresser was her mascara and lip gloss. It was 8th grade and the year was 2005 but for her it was the third school just that year and it was only late October. She was just trying to make the best of it.


Her eyes opened. She was still sleepy and it was first period math, which made her even more sleepy. She hated math. Suddenly the teacher announced "we have a new student" and gestured towards her. She stood up "hey, my name is Amy" and sat back down. Amy didn't say much about her self because she didn't want to go in detail about how this was her third school and how she had been passed around from family members to foster care and that's how she ended up there. So she settled with just giving a small introduction with her name and that's it. Amy's mom had passed 9 months prior to a drug over dose and she had moved a few times since then from family members to foster homes. This was her second foster home just this school year. She was just trying to make the best of it.


Her eyes opened. It was midnight and she was lieing awake from another bad dream. It was super quiet through the house. You could hear a pen drop. Amy grew up in the city with traffic going all through the night and lights shining through the curtains from the corner stores and semi's passing by. Now she was in a small country town, living on a farm about a hour from the city. It was a big adjustment. The nightmares had been coming for about 8 months now and she was getting used to waking up in the middle of the night. She would listen to the wind blow from the window and finally go back to sleep. The nightmares were usually related to her mom's death. Amy felt guilty in a way like she could have done something different to save her. She hadn't told anyone about her nightmares, she just tried to work through them on her own. She was just trying to make the best of it.


Her eyes opened. It was Friday so she new it was visitation day with her grandma. Amy had been getting weekend visitation with her grandma for a few months now. It was a beautiful spring day and she was excited to see her family. Every Friday Amy couldn't wait until the end of the school day for the weekend. Her foster mom would drive her to the half way point where her grandma would meet her to pick her up. "Hi grandma!" Amy said as she approached the car. "Hop in!" Grandma said with a smile on her face, as she put her seat belt on. "How's school going, anything new!?" Grandma said. "Not much new really same as usual" Amy said as she buckled her seat belt. "Well I have something new I'd like to talk to you about" grandma said as she drove out of the parking lot. "I'd like for us to plan on you moving in with me by the end of the school year". Amy's eyes opened wide. "Ok that sounds great!". Amy had always been close to her grandma. It was her mom's mom. She had spent a lot of time with her growing up. After her mom's death her grandma took it really hard. she became really depressed for awhile but eventually pulled her self out of it. Amy was 15 and was already going through a rebellious stage but now without her mom and no dad around to care for her she felt like she didn't need to listen to anyone. She just wanted her mom back. She ran away from every home she ended up in until now. It was Sunday and Amy had to go back to her foster home. As she got ready for bed she brushed her hair and thought of what her grandma said but she had to stay where she was for now and finish out this school year and focus on her grades. She was just trying to make the best of it.


Her eyes opened. She just had another flash back. From when her mom would tell her stories about her life and they would laugh. Amy had a great relationship with her mom. They talked about everything so it was still hard living without her. The wound was still fresh. Amy's mom was very outgoing and funny. She would crack a joke at the most awkward times but everyone would laugh. Her mom was kind and giving. Once she literally took her coat off and gave it to a homeless man. Her mom was also a hard worker. She was a waitress most of her life but she never went without a job. Amy would sit and think of all the times she had with her mom and smile to her self a little while sitting in class. Amy started off really quiet at her new school. She didn't want to make friends then have to move again. It had been a few months now and she really liked her new home, even if it was temporary. She was getting used to caring for all the animals on the farm, she now lived on and she was getting along well with her foster mom. She realized she may stay there for awhile and started making friends eventually. She was just trying to make the best of it.


Her eyes opened. It was the last day of 8th grade. She had spent her year making great friends and memories she wouldn't ever forget but things were changing for her. Her grandma had finally gotten custody of her. Amy was moving back with her family. She was sad she had to leave her friends but she new this day was coming. She learned a lot from this time in her life but she didn't have to make the best of it anymore.

February 21, 2023 21:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Shane McClure
14:39 Feb 22, 2023

An amazing read! Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
12:52 Feb 26, 2023

Nice use of the prompt. It was great to follow her story to a positive conclusion.

Reply

Brooke Coleman
15:56 Feb 26, 2023

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.