0 comments

Drama Fiction Western

[This story is set in rural India of over 150 years ago.]

It had been nearly 24 years since she had last seen it, but the place looked exactly the same. She was now 38 but the memory hadn’t faded. She had played in this house in the village of Rampet when young, petted by grandparents. Fond memories still lingered. Her name was Rani. She was actually a citizen of the prosperous village of Chembu, a day away by bullock cart, where she owned large tracts of agricultural land which yielded her a good income. So she chose to neglect this old house in Rampet which she had inherited besides agricultural land. She had left the land inheritance to be managed by someone else who paid her what was due. She had however locked the house deputing someone to periodically maintain it. She had arrived this evening at Rampet. It had been arranged that food would be sent to her during her stay, and feeling hungry she had her dinner. She washed her face and in the dim light of the evening looking at herself in a mirror, smoothed her wind-blown long hair which was knotted. She was dressed in a sari which was also draped round her chest as blouses were then uncommon. She was tall and had a magnificent build. She was a widow with no children. However with other kin, she managed the lands she had inherited.

Only a few days ago she had had a confidential talk with her youngest sister Yashoda nicknamed ‘Yash’ in Chembu. She had said “Yash, I want you to keep to yourself what I will now say to you. Since I’ve no issues of my own, I desire to adopt a child. You’ve stopped after producing 2 children who’re now grown up. Why don’t you produce one for me to adopt?”

Yash said “I’ll consult Velu and tell you.” Velu was her husband.

Back home Yash spoke to Velu when they were alone. She told him exactly what Rani had said and added. “I had said I would consult you and let her know. I couldn’t tell her the truth.”

Velu was silent. Yash said “I feel sorry for my sister. I want to help her.”

Velu was still silent. The fact of the matter was that Velu while working on watering the crops from the well had had a fall after which he had lost his libido. Yash continued “Of course I’m suffering a great deal without your embraces but I won’t let anyone know what you’re suffering from.”

Yash said “I know you’re wondering about how to answer. I wish I had been a man without a problem like yours. I would’ve lost no time in telling my sister that I’ll do what she wants and would’ve straightaway started! May be later she would ask ‘What’s happening? Speed it up.’ And I would’ve done accordingly! I’ve told you how I long to have another baby.”

After the long silence Velu said “Let me think it over.”

However Rani seemed to be in a hurry. Only two days later she came and spoke to Yash. She said “You know my house in Rampet which is in an isolated place. It was built by our grandfather after many religious ceremonies seeking the help of God for those who were childless. It was said that many who were barren would stay there for a while and would benefit. You may not know as you were born long after gramp passed away. I’ve decided to go and stay there a few days to check its convenience for you to camp. You could go there after I return.”

Rani was now camped in the Rampet house. She inspected the house and fittings and saw they were in good order. Of course Yash could hire someone to help in cooking and cleaning the place she thought. She saw the big flower garden surrounding the house. She knew it had been leased out to a woman of the village. The day after her arrival, Rani saw a young man in crumpled clothing and unkempt hair picking the flowers. She spoke to him and learnt that he was in the employ of a certain woman on whose orders he was collecting the flowers, cleaning the garden and watering the plants. He said his name was Pya. He appeared a friendly type and hearing he knew the game, invited him to play in her house which had the game board sketched on the floor. The pawns were sea shells and only the dice were of metal. He was good at it and later she would often be defeated.

It was a snake that started Pya and Rani coming closer. She had been mortally afraid of snakes since her husband had died of snake bite only a few months after their marriage. That morning, Rani was in the middle of her bath when she suddenly saw a snake making its way on the floor. She screamed and ran out when Pya knife in hand came to help. Rani was well-endowed and her fingers could scarcely conceal whatever she had as a woman. Pya brought a stick to kill the snake but it had slithered away. Rani clung to him in her enormous fright and just stood transfixed. He whispered “Let me get your clothes.” But there was no response. He was only 19 but was profoundly moved by the sight of the nude Rani. Unknown to himself he fondled her and her quelquechose. She allowed him all the freedoms of a husband and he, who was a bachelor, proved he could be an expert navigator in the ocean of love. As the author I’ve to say that further details could only be written in obscure Latin!

For a week thereafter, Rani was well-regaled by the repeated ministrations of Pya, something which seemed new to her after years of having lived without a man. A few days later she said “Pya, I’ve to get back to Chembu. My sister will be here with her husband. You must help them.”

She presented Pya cash but he refused to take it. He said “I wish I had a wife like you who could play games and deal with me in bed even having me supine and staring at the roof!”

Pya was very unhappy as she took leave of him. So was she.

The next day, Rani reached her usual home in Chembu. She told Velu ”Since you’re going long distance, you could perhaps inspect the crops, talk to people concerned, and if appropriate, promise to help them with money. It would be a tough job as the fields are a bit distant. Thank you.”

She told Yash “You’ll have opportunities to mix with a young man named Pya. He is a good player of a game with dice which we all know. Give him my compliments.”

Two days later Yash and Velu were in the house in Rampet. Yash said “This house is very comfortable.” After some thought she said “Rani is going to send word asking for progress!”

He was silent. She again said “I’ll send word that it’s being progressed with utmost speed!”

The next day itself Velu went off to inspect crops in distant areas. Pya came and acquainted himself with Yash. After they had played a game Yash said “I’ve to remove cobwebs. Can you bring the ladder?” Cobwebs from everywhere, she mused!

Pya brought the ladder when Yash pulled up her sari and tucking it at the waist, climbed on to reach different parts of the ceiling. Pya offered to do it but she refused. At one stage she slipped from the ladder when her sari top got loose and her top half was exposed. At once Pya helped her cover up when he felt the promptings of nature which emboldened him. He let his roving hands to go before, behind, between, above, below, (as a poet says!) when she gave him the greatest favour a woman could grant. That was the beginning and its repetition took her to heights from where she almost couldn’t descend. Nature had given her 12 chances a year to have a baby, but they had all been wasted so far. However this time by her own reckoning, she would say with pride that she was the mother of her sister's heir! Everything had turned out to satisfaction:Velui's problem had been kept secret!


While Yash was loath to return from Rampet, Rani had decided to spend the rest of her life there. I’m sure the sisters would manage to be back for Rampet encounters! For them that was all that mattered!

END


November 16, 2020 14:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.