Mrs.Gilbert and The Best Halloween in Town

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy LGBTQ+ Holiday

After days of excitement and decorations, it had finally approached, the festival of the dead, Halloween. I had so many plans over the weekend, so many ideas. Like how I would go tick or treating, decorate my lawn with numerous fake ghosts, carve pumpkins with my sister and sneak into Mrs. Gilbert's house. Sadly, it all came crashing down. Like literally, crashing down. One week before the day.... the bus I was traveling in crashed into a tree. Out of the twelve passengers inside, two of us died. Me and my childhood friend, Daniel. I felt free and light as I stood dancing around the park, being a ghost had it's own benefits. I could even teleport now! Unlike my happiness, a very distressed pastel boy stood staring at the pumpkins in front of us. A flock of three year olds rushed by us as they passed through and inside a very transparent Daniel. "What's wrong?" I asked him. "This is a pumpkin I was supposed to carve. I hadn't done it before we died. But now it's here, along with the others. That means someone else did it!" He said, pointing to the biggest pumpkin in the whole area. "Maybe your family did it! To remember you." I suggested as a child passed through me again. I could feel the tingles everytime someone passed through me, and I swear, it wasn't a feeling I wanted to get used to. "That's impossible! The day I bought this, I hid it at Mrs. Gilbert's lawn. No one was supposed to take it but me!" He exclaimed. Mrs Gilbert's lawn was scary. Absolutely no one dared step inside. She was a lady in her thirties, divorced and single for all we heard. And since last year when she moved in our street, she hasn't once socialized with anyone. Rumors were that she could communicate with ghosts. Me and Daniel always sneaked inside. It was our own hiding spot. "But no one has ever been in her lawn except us. And the woman has never stepped outside!" I said as goosebumps travelled all over me. I knew we shouldn't be afraid, for we were ghosts! But the child inside of our fourteen year old body couldn't help but shiver. "We should go investigate!" Daniel suddenly said as he turned back and started floating towards her house. The sun was on its verge to set. The night hadn't approached yet, the day had already abandoned. In the chills of the October evening, we made our way towards the so called haunted house of Mrs. Gilbert. As the night approached, so did the rush. Groups of people were around, some were adults who accompanied their children around and some were teenagers of our age. But what took our interest was how different this Halloween was for the two of us. This time, we could not only see humans, but we saw numerous ghosts too! Some lacked an arm and some had loads of bandages wrapped around their body. A few mummies and a goblin was around too. But what caught our interest the most was a lady with heavy makeup and a pointy hat. She was neither a human nor a ghost. "Is she a witch?" Asked Daniel as we hid behind a small cabinet, staring at the lady as she swung her wand to and fro. A small black cat sat on her shoulder as the purple dresser caught our eyes. A smirk crept over her face. She swung her wand towards us as a sudden wave of wind pushed us forward. We found ourselves facing the lady. "New ghosts!" Her high pitch voice pierced our ears. We nodded. She patted our head as she gave us a candy. Our voice was struck in our throat. We smiled back as we accepted her gift. "Happy Halloween!" A coordinating wish left our lips. "You too!" And off she went on her broom, swinging her wands as sparkles danced around the whole town. "Wow!" Daniel and I were in awe. The magical and majestic look of the air had taken all over the town. But in the middle of the decorations was the lonesome house with dark rooms and unadopted decorations. "Let's go!" The boy beside me said as he left me alone, rushing to our hiding spot. The lawn was empty, with no signs of a pumpkin. We were looking around when a voice broke us out of our journey. "Are you looking for something?" We jerked our head towards the sound. A woman stood there. She was dressed in a white wedding gown, her hands grasped a bouquet of flowers. "Who are you?" I asked. "I live here." She replied, smiling. Her smile was precious, for it was the perfect mixture of kindness and love. Her eyes blossomed in purity as the full moon shone over her diamond necklace. "Are you looking for the pumpkin?" She added as she took a step forward. We nodded as her smile crashed down. "I'm sorry, I thought it was abandoned and so I carved it. It's at the park by the swings." "It's okay." Daniel started. "But who are you and how can you see us? Do you know who Mrs. Gilbert is?"

"I am Mrs.Gilbert too!' A soft laugh left her lips. "The lady whom you probably know is my wife. I know many people think she's divorced but she's not. I am still beside her, even though I'm dead. Fortunately, she can see me, for she is a witch. We always have a ceremony during Halloween for our marriage. I used your pumpkin and hence I feel guilty, in exchange, would you like to join us?" She asked us poliety. "We would love to!" I said, excited. She motioned us to follow her as dhe hopped round the lawn and entered the house. As we stepped inside, we were astonished. The whole house was lit with candles and lights. White roses decorated at the sides as groups of ghosts sat on the chairs. An aisle was laid that led to a shining woman standing over the end. Everyone turned towards us as wedding music started playing. The woman looked at us as she spoke, "Would you sweet souls be my flower boys?" She asked. "But there are no flowers." Daniel said. "There is now!" Two basket of flowers popped out in our hands before we could say knife. Daniel gasped in suprise and I laughed. We walked down the aisle as the woman followed us. Mrs. Gilbert stood over the end of the lane as she looked at us and bowed, as if trying to thank us for bringing a smile over her wife's face. The two of them linked their hands together as the ceremony began and ended with a kiss. The ghosts and ghouls in the hall cheered in excitement as the lesbian couple laughed. We could even see the other witch we met in town standing amongst the others. Daniel and I looked at each other. We didn't know that behind the mysterious house were two woman in love. But what we did know was that this year, we had the best Halloween the town had to offer!  

October 30, 2020 06:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ari Berri
17:29 Nov 12, 2020

This is a great story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.