6 comments

General

Uh oh. The snowstorm comes closer to the supermarket. “Should I leave?” I thought to myself. Everyone’s leaving. I decide to stay for a while. The weather outside was severe, so going outside could be a big risk. Now the storm was just meters away. I made a quick but important decision. I ran for the door. 

Steps away, I could feel the cold. I wrapped my coat tighter around me, and put on my earmuffs. I may never make it. With my mittened hands, I tried to open the door. It didn’t budge, not an inch. I pulled harder. It was no use. I was stuck inside. Just then, I heard a cry. It wasn’t loud, but it sounded like a human’s. I cautiously took steps to where it was coming from. There, in the middle of Walmart was……….


“Mom, I’m going to run to the supermarket, ‘kay?” I asked my mother that morning. “Sure hon, just be careful, heard a blizzard comin’ ‘round lunch time.” she answered. “I’ll be careful!” I said as I kissed my mom goodbye. I was already twelve, so my mom trusted me to buy groceries and ride a bus on my own. At the time the sun was smiling high up above, so I thought the chances for a blizzard was pretty slim. In the supermarket, I quickly grabbed everything I needed, humming a tune while I did. 

Outside, the weather started to change. First, Mr. Sun ran away. Then the clouds turned dark. Everything was happening slowly, but the people in the market faded away. Soon, the storm was close and the Walmart was deserted. Even the workers have left, thinking that everyone had exited. The lights got turned off, leaving on only red emergency lights. 

I hadn’t left then, hoping the storm would stop soon, but not in a long time. When I finally decided to leave, the ice had already froze a thick layer outside the door. Then, I heard a cry. Not loud, but definitely a human. I walked slowly towards the sound. Ready for the worst. (which I, at the moment didn’t even know what was.) There, in the middle of the store was……….... An abandoned baby. It’s tender skin was wrapped in a fluffy blanket, and it looked like it was left here when people evacuated. At least the person had some sense to keep this cute child warm.

The newborn had blue ocean eyes with sprouts of shiny blonde hair, along with a button nose and a cute little mouth to go along. My heart melted. I had to keep this baby safe. I reached for the infant, remembering everything my pregnant mom taught on how to carry a baby. As soon as I got closer, I noticed an odd smell. A stink bomb. Babies are known for dropping stink bombs anytime, anywhere. Just like how you can find a hotel on Trivago. A diaper change would be necessary. 

A girl, I thought as I finished up her diaper. I hadn’t changed one before, but it was like it was meant to be. I opened my puffy jacket and held the infant to my chest. Jaye. I’m going to name her Jaye. Though she was not mine, I could feel my heart being pulled to hers. It was love at first sight. Feeling her body warmth next to mine, the storm outside didn’t bother me.

A baby needs to eat, but before baby Jaye started bawling, I had let the fact slip. I ran to aisle nine, where my mom had taken me many times to pick things out for the new baby. I picked out the best formula, took some water and a bottle, and started to mix. “I only do this in an emergency” I thought. 

Just as Jaye finished the last drops of baby formula, the wind blew so hard the door rattled. I held on tight to Jaye. The door looked ready to give up. I held Jaye inside of my jacket and held her closer. I just stood there, waiting for something to happen. I had no other plan. 

Finally, the door came off. Cold snow blew onto my face, making it numb. Jaye started to cry. What would a mother do? I had no idea. I sang a song, choking on bits of ice as I opened my mouth. I hummed. She quieted. 

That day, I had forgotten I was just a twelve-year-old, fighting for Jaye and my life. I had hugged her closer and closer each time a strong wind blew onto my face, striking pain each time. I was glad my body and ears were covered. Jaye fell asleep at that time, and I was relieved she wasn’t hurt. I ran behind a shelf, trying to block the wind. It helped a lot, but bits of cold fluff still got into the blocked space. I held Jaye close to my chest, sharing our body warmth with each other. 

I could feel her heart beating next to mine as she sucked on her pacifier that I had taken. I promised myself to pay for everything if I survived. No. Once I survived. No, once we survived. 

The storm quieted as Jaye woke up, so I had enough time to run to aisle nine and get her some baby food. Mashed bananas this time. I fed the food slowly into her mouth, but I looked out for any high speed blow to hide. I saw one too late. It came our way at sixty miles per hour, knocking me and Jaye to our sides……..then nothing.

I woke up to a baby crying, my mom shaking me, and the sound of the city buses. “Thank goodness she woke up!” my mother cried. She took my hand and held it hard. I looked around. Doctors. Tubes. Family. New baby brother. Where’s Jaye? “Mom, where’s Jaye?” I asked. I didn’t want to be the only survivor. In just one storm, I felt like me and Jaye were inseparable, the thought made me wonder even more where baby Jaye was. 

“Who’s Jaye?” my mother asked. “The baby.” “Oh. she’s hooked up onto life support. Babies are fragile.” “I know.” I had replied. Thinking about a question: Will she make it? “Mom, I thought our baby brother wasn’t due ‘til June.” “I had him last morning, I panicked thinking about losing you.” “Can I see him?” “Sure! I’ll go get him!” I held my brother in my arms like the way I held Jaye. He felt soft and tender, just like Jaye. 

Around noon, the doctors took me off the tubes. “Mom, can I go see Jaye?” “The baby? Go ahead!” I went to the room number I was given, praying with everything that was left that she’d cure. Inside, I saw Jaye with a breathing tube, sleeping inside of an incubator. I looked at Jaye. Tears welled up in my eyes, looking at her like that. I walked over to her and felt her skin. Soft and tender, just like it was.


July 25, 2020 02:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Nandan Prasad
06:53 Aug 06, 2020

Great story! I like the way the narrator handles the situation. One thing, maybe you can split some dialogue into different paragraphs to make it more legible. Otherwise, brilliant story and keep writing! P.S. Water is watery.

Reply

N C
14:10 Aug 06, 2020

I'm glad you enjoyed! I will try to put the dialogue into the paragraphs. HaHa!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
N C
23:45 Jul 30, 2020

A little off topic, but is water wet?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
14:57 Aug 12, 2020

I loved it. Amazing story. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my story “The secret of power?”

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thom With An H
19:46 Aug 06, 2020

Great imagination and delivery. The only suggestion to smooth out your transitions. Other than that it was top notch. I also chose this prompt if you could give me a read I’d appreciate it.

Reply

N C
21:09 Aug 06, 2020

Sure! I'm glad you all give me suggestions so I can improve and get better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.