0 comments

Holiday Kids Fiction

Mona was almost as excited as Spencer was. Scratch that. Mona was more excited than Spencer, because Mona knew what was going to happen tonight and Spencer did not.

         Mona reached into a bag and removed a little pink bucket with dancing unicorns all around it. Next, she removed a pink body suit and tights. Reaching in again, she pulled out a tri-colored rainbow tail, a headband with little pink ears and a gold horn, and some make-up.

         Mona looked at the clock. It was only ten in the morning. Five in the evening seemed so, so far away. She would be getting Spencer after pre-school at three, and then she would get her ready to go trick-or-treating for the very first time.

         Mona spent the next several hours preparing all sorts of Halloween treats for Spencer. She made fudge bats and witches hats. She made brownies with icing ghosts. She made licorice-eared mice. She made breadstick rattle snakes, ‘poison’ candy apples, peanut butter acorns, cereal bar hay bales, and monster munch. She even made spooky fingers and banana mummies. Some of these treats would be given out to trick-or-treaters, but most would be for Mona and Spencer after their outing. 

         Mona had purchased several children’s Halloween movies, and after trick-or-treating she planned that she and Spencer would watch movies and eat their snacks. Obviously, Mona was very into Halloween.

         When two o’clock finally rolled around, Mona began cleaning up the kitchen. She wasn’t at all worried about giving out the homemade snacks, since she lived in a very small town where everyone knew each other. Mona scrubbed the countertops and the table, then washed up all of the dishes she had used. When she was done with that, everything was ready to wrap in cellophane. 

         At last, it was three o’clock, and Mona left to pick up Spencer from pre-school. Spencer was so excited to see her favorite person in the world, her grandmother. She squealed and jumped into Mona’s arms, covering her face with kisses. When Spencer had settled a little, Mona told her that she had a big surprise for her this evening. Mona wiggled and giggled all the way home in anticipation of her big surprise.

         When they got home, Mona showed Spencer her unicorn costume. Mona again squealed in delight. Mona helped her to get dressed, then took out the make-up. Spencer absolutely adored playing dress up and wearing make-up, so this really excited her. Mona could barely put the make-up on Spencer, she was so wiggly. Mona felt all wiggly and giggly herself.

         When Spencer was all dressed and painted and ready, Mona showed her the treats. This tickled the little girl all the more. She ate a banana mummy first, as bananas were her favorite. Next, she ate a breadstick rattle snake and four peanut butter acorns. Mona told her that was enough snacking for now. 

         At four thirty, Mona made hamburgers for the two of them for dinner. As they ate, she explained what trick-or-treating was to her tiny granddaughter. Spencer was all for visiting the neighbors, and was not at all above asking them for candy. 

         Mona also explained that there would be bunches of kids out in costumes, and some might be scary. She told her that even some grown-ups dress up. 

         “Maw-Maw, will you dress up?” Spencer asked.

         “Oh, yes, my darling,” Mona replied, “Maw-Maw always dresses up for Halloween.”

         “What you gonna dress up like?” Spencer asked.

         “My dear, Maw-Maw always dresses like a witch.”

         “You gonna be a wish.” Spencer giggled.

         It was at that moment that the doorbell rang. Mona told Spencer to go with her to answer the door. They opened it together and gazed out upon Super-Man, Bat-Man, and a red Power Ranger. Spencer giggled uncontrollably. 

         “They stupor hewoes, Maw-Maw,” Spencer exclaimed.

         “Yes, honey, they are.”

         Mona held out a basket full of the homemade treats and told all three children to pick two each. They did, then thanked her and ran off to the next house. Mona looked down at Spencer and watched her looking at the kids as they went.

         “Darling,” she said, “that is what we will be doing in just a little while.”

         “Goodie, goodie, goodie,” Spencer exclaimed, jumping up and down and clapping her hands in glee.

         Spencer wanted a fudge bat, and Mona agreed. Spencer ran off, and with a wave of her hand, Mona was in costume and followed her granddaughter into the kitchen. 

         “Maw-Maw, you a wish, you a wish,” Spencer squealed I excitement.

         At five on the dot, Mona handed Spencer her trick-or-treat bucket, which elicited more squealing, giggling and wiggling. Mona took a deep breath and held out her hand to Spencer, who took it and squeezed excitedly. Mona opened the door, lifted the basket of treats, and placed it on the porch. It had a sign on it asking trick-or-treaters to please only take two each.

         As they stepped off of the porch, Spencer began jumping up and down. 

         “Maw – Maw, Maw – Maw, can I twick –or – tweat your house?” she asked.

         “Of course you can, my dear.”

         So they went back up on the porch, where Spencer selected two of the treats and placed them in her bucket. She giggled some more as she grasped Mona’s hand once again.

         They turned right at the sidewalk, and began their journey at Mr. Franklin’s house. He was handing out Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. The next house was Mr. and Mrs. McCreaty. They had candied apples. At the third house, they came across the Widow Spinner, who was giving out dollar bills.          

         Spencer was still jumping and giggling. This was so much fun! 

         They continued around the whole block. There were the Johnsons’, with popcorn balls. The Roeblick’s were handing out giant lollipops. The Smith’s had a scary (for little kids) haunted house in their garage and they were giving out giant Snickers bars. 

         Spencer was beginning to get a little tired, but she wanted to keep going. As they rounded the final corner and she saw Mona’s house, she realized just how tired she was. She told Mona that she was tired and that her feet hurt.

         Once they got into the house, Spencer wanted a snack again. She selected the popcorn ball from her bucket. Mona brought a tray of snacks and the bucket of candy into the living room. She got Spencer settled on the couch, and turned on the first of the children’s movies, which was ‘Spookley the Square Pumpkin’. She got settled on the couch and Spencer snuggled up against her.

         Looking up at her, Spencer said, “Maw – Maw, thank you for taking me tonight. It was the best night ever!”

         Mona looked down at her with tears in her eyes, smiling.

October 26, 2020 20:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.