6 comments

Funny Romance Drama

“Congratulations Mr.Nema. Here are your promotion orders. Now you will head the sales department of the branch office at Ghansore”, saying in his usual loud voice, the boss Mr. Iyer handed the letter to Suresh Nema. Suddenly all the curious office staff came forward to congratulate him on the much awaited promotion. 

Mr. Nema didn’t get a chance to read the orders , he had to hurry to the parking lot for carpool with other three people who stayed in the same apartment block but didn’t work with him. He didn’t want to read the orders in front of them and more over everyone was immersed in a neutral topic has usual.

Taking the lift to his seventh floor apartment, excited all the way, Suresh pressed the door bell too long than required. Ragini, his wife opened the door, somewhat irritated.

“Oh it’s you! I thought it’s our neighbour ‘s son playing a prank”, with irritation still in her voice, took his office bag.

“I have a good news to share with you dear. I have been promoted and we will have to shift to Ghansore  branch office. You know the place, we visited last year and you loved the little hill station, the climate and people”, said Suresh in one breath almost to impress Ragini.

No reaction. Like a phone on the other end gets disconnected and you continue to blabber without realising it.

Ragini moved back to kitchen. No congratulations, no protest. Was this the ‘Lull before the storm!’ Wondered Suresh. 

He didn’t wait for long. The musical orchestra of pots and pans being thrown carelessly, and the bang with which they were being placed on the kitchen platform clearly indicated ‘the storm’ had arrived.

 Dinner was served with the rudeness shown to a-beggar whose presence is most unwanted. Guest room light was on all night indicating Ragini’s isolation chamber shimmering indicating an unpardonable mistake committed by Suresh.

“On Sunday morning we have to leave for our new station. I have to join my office. They are providing us a fully furnished apartment and all we have to take is our clothes , dear Ragini”, Suresh spoke sweetly.  

The Cold War continued and on Sunday the couple left for the new place which neither had a rail nor flight connectivity. They drove down nearly one thousand miles. The winding hill town welcomed them.

Suresh was so happy, feeling the sweet cool breeze. His heart fluttered like a mountain bird flying in the blue sky. He always loved hills. As a child he had spent in the brown green landscape . He loved going on long treks with friends , collected wild berries and chased a hare or two popping it’s head from a burrow and running away at breath neck speed. 

Rukmini on the other hand covered her head with a scarf. Her face like a bloated potato, big black shades covering her eyes reminded one of a forest owl , no smile or no word. Only silent protest.

 After long hours of non stop driving, they reached the town. Beautiful apartment and warm neighbours welcomed them. Supper was arranged. After exchanging pleasantries and goodnight, all left. Suresh and Rukmini moved inside the house. Tired after the long drive, they slept early.

“Eeeeee, uuuuu, ahhha, no nooo, go away from here, let me throw my slipper on you”, shouting at the top of her voice , Rukmani threw her slipper on the home lizard watching her pensively from the washroom wall. But the slipper missed its target and hit poor suresh, who had rushed to the washroom on hearing Rukmani ‘s shrieks. 

Rukmani’s slipper hit him like a ‘ShotPut’ and he fell on the floor hitting his head hard. 

Suresh got up from the floor. He shouted,” Was there any necessity for you to create such a ruckus. Haven’t you seen a lizard before?How could you be so mean.”

Rukmani’s dagger looks stopped him midway . “The lizards in our place are more gentle lizardly. At least they don’t barge into the washroom when a lady is inside !” I hate this place. You know I hate hills. I had to give up our beautiful seaside for your good for nothing promotion. How does it matter to you. In your view I am just a piece of furniture which you bundled up to dump here”, spitting all the venom , she moved toward the kitchen. Poor Suresh with half open mouth to protest, was only left with the slipper and a bump on his head.

The only conversation that took place between the couple these days appeared more like a battle where each one tried word weapons from their armoury of vocabulary.

“The roads are so narrow. People are stone deaf. You honk the horn and still no one moves even an inch from his place. There is no variety in vegetables-only potato, cabbage, tomato or funny looking turnip. How much I miss all that sea food. I have no friends. I can’t speak the local language. All look so fair and  I feel they keep staring at my dark complexion. Even the poor Sun appears so dull covered under a blanket of fog. There is no shopping Mall. You have to walk down the narrow streets and pick up groceries from pigeon hole shops.”Rukmani completed are complaints list for the day.

On the other hand Suresh was happy in his office. “ people are sincere and hard working. I would get special hill allowance too. Fruits and vegetables appear so fresh. Love to walk in the misty morning. Glad I am away from the humid weather, “ Suresh spoke almost to himself since Rukmini left the room to repeal the list of complaints to her mother on the mobile phone. 

As they say wingless Time flies silently , three months passed but the list of Rukmini’s complaints continued to increase. One evening when Suresh returned home, two suitcases greeted him With Rukmini staring like a tigress about to pounce on its prey. Suresh gave quizzical look as if saying “What Now?”

“ I am leaving ! You may continue to stay. People are so mean. All I did was pluck a flower from the neighbour’s garden whose stalk was on our side of the compound. And my God that lady started shouting at me in an alien language, kept pointing finger at me. Later she called the Gardner and instructed him to chop off the entire tree. I tried to return the flower but she was in no mood to listen. Enough is Enough.”, Rukmani broke down. 

Suresh tried to pacify her and promised to take her back on the weekend. 

Next day morning, the sun was almost up. Suresh saw Ragini was running temperature. The doctor was called and Rukmini was advised bed rest. Suresh left for office after making arrangements with the old servant maid to stay till he returns from office.

That evening, when he returned, he saw the maid’s bicycle was missing and he nervously went inside to face volley of scolding. And what he saw made him rub his eyes vigorously.

Rukmani was half sitting on the bed and the neighbour Mrs. Nag was feeding soup to Rukmani, coaxing her now and then to finish the entire soup. Rukmini faintly smiled at Suresh and said” Mrs. Nag has been taking care of me from morning. The maid had an emergency and she left immediately. I was feeling terribly weak. Hearing my groans, Mrs. Nag took charge of me. It seems she had asked the Gardner to prune the tree since there were lot of caterpillars on it. I misunderstood her expression. I am really sorry. People are good here”, smiling weakly Rukmini looked at her newly found messiah Mrs. Nag.

Suresh was happy that at last Rukmini would spend her time peacefully in the new place.

“ It’s peak summers. I am missing the sweet golden mangoes. The refreshing sugar cane juice, the cool evening sea breeze. I hate this place ... Either you resign the job or get a transfer.... Rukmini was back to her old ways to protest.

Suresh wondered where were those great women like Sita, Savitri ... who followed their spouse from deep jungles to hard terrains without a protest.

September 17, 2020 16:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Harlow Jones
16:36 Sep 24, 2020

Hi, Sreedevi! I loved reading this story! I particularly enjoyed your descriptions. For example, "The musical orchestra of pots and pans being thrown carelessly." I really loved that line because I could easily imagine it, hear it, and relate to it (my mother treats pots and pans the same exact way). Continue to use all of the senses (sight, sound, taste, smell, touch) in your descriptions. It makes for an immersive story. Also, try to use less words. In the example above, you don't need the word "musical" in front of "orchestra." Usin...

Reply

14:28 Sep 25, 2020

Dear Harlow Jones, Thank you for reading my story. I really need to edit my story. I rush to complete the story before the deadline and end up in funny sentences. I would be careful in future hopefully. Please do continue to read and comment on my stories. With warm regards Sreedevi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Devinder Kumar
14:47 Sep 24, 2020

A refreshing story. An uphill task for Mr. Nema to make his wife live on hills.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Barbara Burgess
11:19 Sep 24, 2020

Hi, I enjoyed your story and a good take on the prompt. I could not think of anything for this prompt! I hope you don't mind me correcting some of your errors here. Your work is good and we all have to start somewhere and each story you write will be an improvement on the last. “Congratulations Mr.Nema. Here are your promotion orders. Now you will head the sales department of the branch office at Ghansore”, saying in his usual loud voice, the boss Mr. Iyer handed the letter to Suresh Nema. Suddenly all the curious office staff came fo...

Reply

14:15 Sep 25, 2020

Dear Barbara, Thank you for your honest feedback. I write the story in the eleventh hour and don’t get the time to edit. Surely I want help in better writing. I would follow your suggestions. Please do send your comments so that I could write better. With warm regards Sreedevi.

Reply

Barbara Burgess
15:37 Sep 25, 2020

Dear Sreedevi, yes, I often do the same with my stories - send them in at the last minute. You will improve as time goes by. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.