0 comments

Fantasy

Eleanor sat in her cluttered apartment, surrounded by piles of books, old records, and a collection of vintage clocks that never told the right time. Her eyes were fixed on the newest addition to her assortment—a small, antique pocket watch with intricate engravings on its brass casing. She found it in a dusty corner of a thrift shop, nestled among forgotten relics. There was something about the watch that felt different, almost magical.

She turned the watch over in her hands, admiring the craftsmanship. There was no maker’s mark, just a peculiar inscription: "Tempus non fugit," which she roughly translated to "Time does not fly." Curious, she clicked the watch open. The second hand ticked forward twice, then stopped. Eleanor frowned and tapped the glass, but the hand remained stubbornly still.

With a sigh, she set the watch on her coffee table and went about her day. She had an article to write and a deadline looming. Hours slipped by unnoticed as she typed furiously, lost in her work. It wasn’t until the sun began to set, casting long shadows through her window, that she remembered the watch. She picked it up again, intending to examine it more closely, and absently clicked the stem.

The world around her fell silent. The hum of traffic outside, the ticking of her wall clock, even the soft rustle of leaves in the breeze—everything stopped. Eleanor looked out the window and saw a bird frozen mid-flight, its wings suspended in the air.

She blinked, her heart pounding. Carefully, she set the watch down, and the sounds of the world rushed back. The bird continued its flight, oblivious to its brief pause in time. Eleanor picked up the watch again and clicked the stem. Silence. Click. Noise. Click. Silence. She was giddy with excitement.

Eleanor spent the next few days experimenting. She learned that as long as she held the watch, time around her remained frozen. She could move freely, unaffected by the stasis she created. The implications were staggering. She could finish her articles in minutes, read entire books in the blink of an eye, and explore the city without ever aging a second. It was exhilarating.

But with great power came great temptation. At first, she used her ability sparingly—catching up on work, avoiding awkward conversations, sneaking an extra hour of sleep. Yet, the more she used the watch, the more she craved its control. She began to pause time for frivolous reasons, enjoying the freedom of wandering through a motionless world.

One afternoon, as she strolled through a park with time on pause, she came across a street artist in the middle of painting a mural. The artist's hand was raised, brush poised to add another stroke of vibrant color. Eleanor watched him, fascinated by the intensity of his expression. She had never seen such detail up close, every brushstroke a testament to his skill.

An idea sparked in her mind. What if she helped him? She could finish the mural while he was frozen, and he’d wake to find his masterpiece complete. She picked up a brush and began to paint, mimicking his style as best she could. Hours passed in her timeless bubble, and when she finally stepped back, the mural was done.

Eleanor clicked the watch, and time resumed. The artist blinked in surprise, staring at the finished mural. He looked around, bewildered, before a slow smile spread across his face. Eleanor hid in the shadows, thrilled by his reaction.

Word of the mysterious, overnight completion of the mural spread quickly, and soon, Eleanor was using her ability more boldly. She fixed broken toys for children, cleaned up littered streets, even played pranks on unsuspecting friends. The thrill of her secret power was intoxicating.

One day, she found herself in a crowded marketplace, observing the bustling activity. She paused time to weave through the crowd, enjoying the stillness amidst chaos. As she moved, she noticed a man pickpocketing an elderly woman. Fury surged through her. She could stop him, but she wanted to do more. She decided to teach him a lesson.

She spent hours rearranging the marketplace, setting up a series of comical obstacles for the thief. She moved his stolen wallet to a vendor's stall, tied his shoelaces together, and placed a bucket of water precariously on a ledge above him. Satisfied with her work, she resumed time and watched the ensuing spectacle. The thief tripped, stumbled, and was drenched by the falling bucket, much to the amusement of the onlookers. The elderly woman retrieved her wallet, and the thief fled, humiliated.

Eleanor reveled in her success, but as she walked away, she felt a twinge of unease. Her actions, though well-intentioned, were starting to feel like a game. She was manipulating lives, altering events, all while remaining hidden from consequence.

That night, Eleanor sat in her apartment, staring at the pocket watch. She had tasted the power to control time and had used it to make a difference, but the lines between right and wrong were blurring. She wondered if she was losing herself in the process.

The next morning, Eleanor made a decision. She would use her power one last time, not for mischief or convenience, but to leave a mark—a legacy. She spent days planning, then paused time and set to work.

In the heart of the city, she created a magnificent garden, filling it with vibrant flowers, intricate sculptures, and serene pathways. She wrote messages of hope and kindness on stones and placed them throughout the garden. She poured her heart into every detail, ensuring it would be a place of peace and inspiration.

When she finally clicked the watch, the city awoke to find a beautiful sanctuary where there had been only concrete. People marveled at the garden, finding solace and joy in its beauty.

Eleanor tucked the watch away, content. She had used her power for good, leaving behind something meaningful. The thrill of control had faded, replaced by a quiet satisfaction. As she walked through the garden, blending into the crowd, she knew she had found her balance.

Time, after all, was a precious gift, and she had learned to treasure it.

May 31, 2024 20:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.