0 comments

Science Fiction Holiday

The sun was bright and shining on a world filled with strange sensations, Taylor had been up before dawn reading again the pilfered writings of a most important asset. In his mind’s eye there was a goal, and that goal while in need of some revision was one he could not share in this world before its apex. 

Still, there was nothing suspicious in calling his friend.

It was minutes waiting for his friend’s response despite the hour and the season, dear thing he was, he’d barely said, “hello?” before Taylor spilled his excitement.

“I’ve done it! Well, not just me. The young maverick Makayla Silvestro and her team have invented- Well, in a way discovered, what could be the main linchpin to Mammalian placental genetic interaction… You know what that means?”

A long pause preceded his answer, “I have only just roused, all this and no ‘hi Bernard?’ How rude!”

“Yes probably, sorry, I’ve gone silly with the news.”

Apologies emend most things, as he says, “You should repeat yourself, Taylor. The reception is only good enough to know about nothing you’ve said.” 

“What did you hear?”

“Something about a science guru getting a carriage.” he said with a yawn, he was more than aware of Taylor’s work but that did not change his confusion. Bernard was on a completely different branch at his age.

“Well, I should explain myself. Her team has sent out a new study for peer review, and I’m just stoked that I have a copy to read.”

“Why would that mean anything? There’s barely any overlap in your fields.”

“Oh, you wound me. No matter, I have been wanting to advance on my research as you understand. And really this is the best season for a change.” he defended, it was a piece of madness that he’d gotten a copy but there were hardly any secrets between them.

“That’s nice.”

“Ah, this is fine. Be restful.” he knows he’s being too exuberant now, though he could hardly help it either. “I’ve been meaning to ask, have you come to your revolution yet?”

“Nothing much, I’ve decided to darn my socks. It’s small, but achievement has got to mean something, right?”, if Taylor could stare at their friend through the phone, it would be dubiously. For all the advances of the current regime, resolution approval was their least favorite.

“One can wish.” he says thoughtlessly amused. It was easy to find his friend’s faith funny.

“What slander! I really hope the you who has so many plans has sent his in already,” Bernard said haughty, the buzz over telephone sharpening it, “more so if you’re bound-lazy in your remarks.”

“Of course I’ve done so. The choice was hard but things will certainly fall in line.” referring as much to his secret as to his truth.

“Why else have you called to bother?”

“Only my own will, love. there is nothing of your concern.”

“Oh, it’s good to make pleasant then.” he says, Taylor walks over to his kitchen counter before Bernard continues, “The wife won’t have the sun for hours now, do you mind the speaker?”

“No, you have me on it. I’ll plug in.” there was nothing of his important work that needed privacy yet, so they could share some time this way. Taylor knew he had the tendency to disappear on people, this was doubly so with his more secretive work.

And there was to be no larger secret for him that year either.

“I never asked you, what was your goal, the one you’d sent for approval?”

“This or last?” Taylor set out his paperwork for the next phase of his plan. Donors weren’t necessarily easy to come by, and he needed as many as he could get on time. 

“Both.” 

“Well, last year it was a weight goal I think, I might still have the papers.” He probably didn’t keep the papers, but they were also in all likelihood cardboard now so he didn’t feel bad at all for lying. Maybe a little, but there was a large gap between worth and price for that sensation

“You think?”

“I don’t often make such lovely things as Darning my revolution, so yes I’d rather rely on my papers.”

Over the phone he heard a clunk from some variety of pan, “I’m sure you don’t. So, did you make it?”

“Oh, no. I was too busy with my work! How do you think I got on such good terms with Miss Silvestro?” he was actually, it was likely the only reason she’d sent a copy.

“Right, right, you’ve always been one for that name honor stuff.” he could hear Bernard frying something.

“It’s simple courtesy Bernard! How do you refer to people when you don’t know them?”

“I don’t often brag about work crushes.”

Taylor felt slighted at the implication, she was an asset, not a plaything. There was a right snap as he said, “She’s only an acquaintance, and besides I remember you being much worse with your wife!”

“My wife? How’d that jump on the table? There’s no point if you won’t admit Miss MS is a looker.”

“I remember those words you tart! You called her ‘that woman’ for a month before asking her out!”

“What’re you yelling about?” he heard Bernard’s wife over the phone, she was yelling too.

“Hey Chrystal!”, he yelled a greeting. 

“Hi Taylor!” she went back, before continuing, “What were you guys going on about? Did you realize you can’t kiss over tele?”

Taylor keeled over laughing before his phone had started again with, “Don’t imply he’s anywhere near my type.” and the usual mouth slapping. Taylor didn’t adore that.

“Do you have to kiss so noisily?”

“Yes, I am a consummate actor!”

“Tell me when you find your way out of that paper bag Bernard.” he said mocking their earlier mood. Taylor wasn’t really angry, or even disgusted. Still he wasn’t about to incriminate himself just for their company, good terms or not.

“I only wear mine for proof of talent, I shan't make proclamations about yours.”

“I suppose it’s still good acting if the bag doesn’t crinkle.” Chrystal said too early for proper thoughts.

“Still?”

Hearing his indignation she queried,“Oh right, you were talking about resolutions weren’t you?”

“You were here for that?” Bernard asked, waiting for her anger. But instead there’s a mid morning crackle in the line as she laughs at him.

“Of course, you think you can manage secrets with me around?” 

“No, not at all!.” Taylor lied over the phone.

December 28, 2021 20:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.