0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Mystery

Heat rose from the darkness. It absorbed everything in its path creating a shadow. Then there was no more light. Her presence was known by the skin on her arms, bubbling from the cold draft. It was pitch black, making her unsure if her eyes were open or shut. Around the room was buzzing. It echoed, bouncing from the walls alerting Lizzi that there was room to move. It took a moment for the girl to grasp her surroundings. As she walked the buzzing became static. Then the light dulled, showing her what type of room she was in. It was grey, windowless and smaller then expected. The static came from a screen hung on the furthest wall. 

"I saw you, your life and... your death" Her words wobbled as she recounted the events. Still, after hours it was a shock. "It was a stream of memories, good, bad, all"  

The man she was telling gave a chuckle, his eyes focused on the river "I love your little stories, they bring me such joy" She watched in horror as he gently tended to the water. 

Lizzi made her annoyance known giving Victor a grimace.  

“Your eyes are burning my neck darling” 

Around them the babbling river upturned the serious mood that Lizzi was trying to set. She told Victor how dark the room was, how realistic the vision seemed but the man again just laughed. Pouring her heart out was dismissed at the root. Nothing she said made sense to Victor, or so Lizzi thought. 

Yet Lizzi was not amused " I promise you this is more than a tale" She used her strong tone and a firm hand on his shoulder trying to get him to look "I saw it all, I saw you, us and when you- passed" 

This got the boy to at the least raise his head "Lizzi" Giving her a shake. 

"Victor"

"I believe every time you come to me with these- visions, have I not?" Standing to his feet, victor wiped the stones on his white shirt "Take a moment to think, I believe you saw but I cannot fathom that you witnessed my death that is yet to happen"

Her shoulders dropped, in her mind she questioned what she could say to make him understand. He was right, never before had he doubted her destinies. Every time she had a grievance or nightmare he was there, every time she was in distress about hunting, he did not go. This time it was the clearest vision, this time she felt the cold, the heat. In her heart she wanted nothing more to ignore it, push it aside but what if she was right? 

"I can hear your thoughts” At the bottom of the stairs Victor had a handful of pebbles. As the girl looked down from the river bank, Victor gave a smile making his way up. The man had sat down by her, a smirk plastered across his face. 

At this moment Lizzi tried giving the same smile but as her eyes closed she saw it. There her great friend was laying against that slick grey floor. There was nothing she could do but watch his soul leave those bloodshot eyes until they were left dulled. Next was his skin. It was drained of all the peach and pink to blue and his once polite and tender smile was forced to a muscle struck in anguish. 

Victor pulled the rocks from his pocket to her palm, one hand against her shoulder. Their eyes locked and he gave that look; a calm collected reassurance. 

"If it makes you stop worrying I shall not put myself in danger" Stroking his fingers across the pebbles admiring the find from the afternoon. 

She had watched for a moment, glancing often at her palm and her friend. "So are you promising that you will leave it alone?" 

Victor lifted his head, his eyes widened but his face stayed somber. Lizzi mimicked his face, their eyes at a stand still. An answer lingered in the air but no one pulled to it. Victor nodded along and left her side. This was the answer Lizzi feared, the silence. From childhood he was the same, the silence meant the same. The moment was broken and Lizzi had enough. She had moved herself from the river back to above the stairs where the water met them. It was a perfect place to ignore her friend for the time being as the water cascaded making it the only thing she could hear. Whilst the man found more treasures and trinkets, Lizzi made her necklaces. 

They always spend their afternoons in summer making gemstone jewelry. The water would keep them cool and the atmosphere was socially nourishing. On occasion Victor would bring a book to read out loud and Lizzi would make snacks. Today was meant to be a peaceful day, yet the dreams had other plans. The night prior Lizzi had awoken to herself screaming. Never had it been this bad, not even when the dreams first started. Left alone, she got to think over her decisions. Still, something in her mind was screaming at her that it was important. 

From the bottom of the river Victor called up, waving both hands. Quickly he stepped out racing up to where Lizzi was sitting giving the biggest smile. “Look my dear” 

Lizzi was thankful she never told Victor what she saw after. When his life flashed before her eyes she saw him standing, gazing at the flash. When he turned around he was crying black tears. The image stained inside her mind. As her day dreaming continued she wove the threads around the rocks creating new pendants. Finally it was done. The pink rock sparkled around the sun, Lizzi had never seen a gem like this before. 

“Pink kunzite” From the side Victor chimed up “It helps with love and loss, I saw it in the water edge and I was drawn to it” She had never seen him in such a focus. Every flicker of light reflection mesmerized Victor. “It's almost like the river agrees with your premonition” It was covered up by his banter. 

Flicking it from his fingers, the friend gave a large sigh “Finnish with your teases, I won't have it today Victor” 

That afternoon they spent it playing in the river like always. It was a hot summer day, Lizzi knew it was a heat she had already felt. At the end of their playful day the premonition was forgotten like a dream. They had made it back to town without a hitch, until she saw Victor off in the castle. He stood by his brother and again- It felt familiar. 

June 17, 2021 18:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.