0 comments

Friendship High School Fiction

The hostess led us to a window table. It was the same table we had shared fifty years ago. We both were actually surprised the place was still around.

"I remember our last dinner here like it was only yesterday."

"Me too. Those were some great times. Can't wait to hear what's been happening with you."

"And you're gonna have to tell me about your last fifty years."

"May I start you two off with some drinks? We have Pepsi products or something from the bar."

"I'll have a Pepsi Mango if you have it."

"Sure do. And you sir?"

"I'll have a Molson."

"I'm sorry. We don't have Molson."

"Okay how about a Fosters."

"Sorry."

"All right. Just give me a Budwiser in a bottle then,"

"That I can do. I'll be right back."

"So Mister P.K. Butler. Where have you been keeping yourself these past fifty years?"

"If you recall I had a pretty high draft number. So, rather then be drafted and end up in Nam, I Joined. Joined with England, Germany and Hawaii as my assignment preferences."

"Here are your drinks, gentlemen. You ready to order yet?"

"I think so. How aboout you, George?"

"I'm ready too. I'll have the t-bone, medium, baked potato with extra butter and bacon bits, house salad with honey mustard dressing, green beans as my other side and if I have any room left a slice of that peanut butter pie."

"And I'll have the chopped steak, mashed potatoes with gravy and onions, house salad with ranch dressing and a slice of blueberry pie."

"Thank you, gents. I'll put your order in right away."

"Remember what we had fifty years ago? We were actually here for lunch. I had that jumbo burger with all the fixings, fries and my first beer as I was finally old enough to order one."

"Yep, I had that footlong cony dog with chili and cole slaw, onion rings and iced tea. I had another two months before I could order a beer."

"Oh to be that age again. Kids these days cannot wait to grow up. If they only knew what was waiting for them."

"You got that right. So, Georgie, I know you hated when people called you that. What have you been up to over the years?"

"You no doubt remember that back in high school they told me I was not smart enough to go to college and they had me take DE, that work class. Well I saved my money and used it for college. I went to NC State in Raleigh. Was there when their basketball team was 27 and 0 with no place to go because they were on probation. Then the next year they won the championship."

"Wow! I remember that. I was actually at Fort Bragg that championship season. I went to Germany shortly after. What was your major?"

"Communications. Was a radio DJ for several years after graduation. Used that to get into sports broadcasting. Was the voice of our minor league baseball team until I retired two years ago. No wife, no kids. Was married to baseball."

"Well I met this gal in Germany. She was actually an officer and had me outranked but we hit it off from the day we met. Within a year we were married. Her name is Amy and before we were transferred out of Germany we had twins, Tommy and Teddy. Then in Hawaii Cindy was born."

"Three kids. Kind of envy you in that department. Always wanted kids but..."

"Here you are, gentlemen," and the waitress placed their orders before them. "Anything else I can get for you?"

"What kind of steak sauce do you have?"

"A1."

"I'll just go aunatural. Thanks anyway."

The chatter between them became minimal as they ate their meal.

"Any idea who may or may not attend this 50th reunion tomorrow?"

"I know Darnell Sloan won't be there. He got drafted, was sent straight to Nam after basic and was killed within a month. And you remember how Patsy Graves and Barry DeLane were always all over each other. They got married, had five kids and while on vacation one year, on their way home, got hit head on by a drunk driver. All were killed instantly."

"I remember hearing about that. It made the national news."

"Yea, very unfortunate. Of course our class president Henry Benson will be there. And one of the bands got back together just to play this event from what I hear. Remember Haywire-played country on Friday and rock and roll on Saturday."

"Oh I remember. Thought that was quite unique."

"Lane Johnson won't be here. He joined the Navy and is in Japan. Don't think it would pay for him to fly back here just for one night. And the hot cheerleader, Candy Barr, four years after graduation was diagnosed with cervical cancer and passed away within a year."

"Damn! I remember all the guys wanted to date her. Any of the faculty gonna be able to make it?"

"Principle Watley died just last year. And we thought he was old as the hills back then. Heard that vice-principle DeMarco might be able to be here. As for the teachers, Doctor Cordle, that lone state championship baseball coach confirmed that he would be here. I don't recall seeing any of the others confirming."

"Probably not many still around."

"You most likely are correct. Oh, remember John Ferris, voted most likely to succeed in anything. He died of prostate cancer almost ten years ago."

As they both seemed to be finished with their meal the waitress brought the pie.

"Either of you like coffee with your pie?"

"No."

"No, thank you."

Each ate their pie before returning to their conversation.

"Wonder how many of the guys joined the military."

"Let me see. I was at the twenty-five year reunion and if I remember Dean Harper spent three years in the Army. Gene Rabowski, Paul Zayre, Colton Mayes all were in the Navy. Fred James and Andy McDougall did the Air Force and Andy was a pilot for Delta. Some were in the Marines but I cannot recall who."

"Did our class have any future stars like actors, actresses or maybe athletes?"

"Drama class had Sandy Miller and at that time she was working with the Halmark channel. Tony Haller did a documentary on the daily life of this band from Iceland. They had a screening for it at the communication school on the West side. Let's see. Spencer Logan, remember how good he was pitching? He actually got drafted in round thirty-one after high school but went to college and threw his arm out there. Ended up a sports writer in Atlanta."

The waitress brought their bill and thanked them for visiting.

"Guess it must be time to go. Will see you tomorrow at the big event."

"Okay. It was great being able to eat here like we promised each other those fifty years ago."

"Indeed, old buddy. Have missed everyone over the years. Even the classes."

"Same here. Will see you again tomorrow for sure."

They each head for their respective auto eager for their 50th class reunion the next night.

June 29, 2021 17:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.