0 comments

Crime Suspense Thriller

“Lieutenant Briggs, what do you have on our new doctor?”

“Name of Doctor Will Chase. Recruited from London by Mayor Brigham himself. He’s just docked at Ellis Island this mornin’, Chief Inspector.”

“Well, let’s show this Brit how we do things in New York, boys. Doctor Chase! Hell of a first day on the job. I’m Chief Inspector Kincaid. This is Captain Grant. Lieutenant Briggs. Officer Rankin. I regret I had to bring you in so soon.”

“You made your way to shore in better shape than ‘er, aye, Doctor Chase.”

“That’s a….particular way to put it, Captain Grant. Female, early teens. Wearing a swimming costume with the crest of Saint Catherine’s.Obviously you know she was pulled from the Hudson.”

“Yes, the girls’ boarding school in the Bronx. The Sisters are informing us of any missing girls in the next few hours.”

“Hematoma up and down her body. Barely an inch without them.”

“Aye, riptides, must be . Death by misadventure. Or more likely suicide. Troubled girl, this lot.”

“Um, perhaps Doctor Chase should respond.”

“Did we ‘ear of an asylum missin’ a patient today, boys? Are you not Doctor Chase?”

“Yes, I am Doctor Chase. It’s just that…well, I mean –"

“-- She didn’t throw herself in, nor get caught in a riptide. The Hudson hardly has the tidal behaviors of the Channel, gentlemen. Forgive me, let me introduce myself. Doctor Eleanor Chase. The other Doctor Chase.”

“...But...you’re a woman!”

“While I presume you may not often hold the company of many females, Captain Grant, you must have met one or two of my kind before? The girl’s name is Sara Burton. This evening’s news edition, presently being printed.”

“How the hell did you et your hands --"

“-- Money buys information in this town, Chief Inspector Kincaid. In my experience, a police department is often both a supplier and benefactor. Now, as to Sara. Multiple fractures likely from beatings. Two contain scar tissue, broken within the last two years. New bruises encircle old scars on her wrists, as if recently dragged. Time of death, between five and nine Wednesday morning…. If anyone wishes to write that down.”

“Look here, this whole lady doctor thing might be fine where you’re from –"

“-- The Upper West Side?”

“Captain Grant --"

“-- Captain Grant, I have it on good authority that you ran the last three pathologists out of town. I’ve spent three minutes with you and have little doubt of that story’s validity. You’ll have my report by nine tomorrow morning, Chief Inspector.”

“You don’t like the police do you, Ms. Chase?”

“Doctor Chase.”

“Then why work for us?”

“My son and I don’t work for you. We work for the Mayor. And I make sure that people, even if already dead upon my table, don’t become victims of inadequacy. The exit’s the same as the entrance.”

****

“Chief Inspector! I find I do owe you an apology from yesterday.”

“Oh? For what exactly?”

“For my tone.”

“Your tone?”

“My tone. Upon further contemplation and an uncomfortable and somewhat arduous conversation with my son, we both found my tone… lacking.”

“On the contrary, I found your tone quite…full. Your volatility, upon second review –"

“-- My apology is limited to my tone. In anything else, I assure you I was showing the greatest restraint. Chief Inspector, please don’t go! Saint Catherine’s is an all-girls’ school. Perhaps I could accompany you there and provide some...female gentility. Or I’ll stay out from underfoot and won’t utter a word.”

“Don’t make me regret this, Miss Chase.”

****

“Mayor Brigham provided your file.”

“After you asked why a woman was sent to assist your police department, I reckon. So, you’ve seen it. Then you know everything about me, Chief Inspector.”

“Quite the contrary. But the file discloses that you were instrumental in solving the last three major cases for Scotland Yard.”

“Then you know everything about me.”

“All while being American.”

“Guilty.”

“You were in London for the last two decades, Miss Chase?”

“You know I was.”

“Why London?”

“The sunshine.”

“The Duke of Brixton’s death was first determined to be a reaction to bee stings. But you proved his wife killed him.”

“Bees are unpredictable partners in homicide. And largely friendly. The Duchess...wasn’t. Chief Inspector, let’s not feign ignorance of my family’s history. My father’s reputation as a robber baron was well reported and his death was of no consequence to his relations. And yet...I daresay, from the moment I stepped from the ship, I’ve felt his presence. Excuse me, I…am fatigued from my trip. I hadn’t anticipated speaking so forthrightly.”

“It’s fine, please continue. If we’re going to be working together –"

“--When my brother, Thomas, inherited an honest fortune from our uncle, I accepted his invitation to return here to New York.  After all, Will needs a father figure. God knows Thomas needs guidance. The man’s a scattered lad in morning wear. But I daresay there are things that I cannot teach.”

“It escapes my mind as to what. The, uh, case of the cook in Mayfair. You determined...homicide by teacake?”

“Well, I hardly blame the teacake. It was delicious.”

“But I’m not allergic to almonds.”

****

“By God, Miss Chase!

“By God, indeed. Prayer appears to be the only thing permitted –" 

“You were incredibly disrespectful to Mother Superior –"

“Actualy, that reminds me. Reverend Mother? How many uniforms are supplied each child?

“Reverend Mother, you don’t need –"

“—‘Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.’ We provide one of everything. But two pairs of shoes. The Sisters of Charity abide by the same vows of humility and poverty.

“Thank you. We’ll return for additional questioning. And to tour the swimming pool. Good day, Reverend Mother.”

“Things must have been done very differently at Scotland Yard, Ms. Chase.”

“Indeed, Chief Inspector. When Scotland Yard opened an investigation, they chose to investigate.”

“All due respect, Miss Chase —"

“Doctor. It’s Doctor Chase, and I would appreciate you remembering that. Chief Inspector. Especially in front of my peers. I’ve earned the distinction.

****

“You didn’t even question the nuns.”

“They proclaim no knowledge –"

“-- The guilty often proclaim no knowledge, Chief Inspector.”

“Read my report. Then tell me that you don’t find Sara’s death to be murder.

“And if I deem it not to be, you’ll leave it alone?”

“Absolutely not.”

“Shall we leave you here, Doctor Chase, before I return to Centre Street. You must have…something to do that does not include destroying my investigation.”

“Girls are permitted one swimsuit. There was one in Sara’s closet today when we searched her dorm room. But she was wearing hers when she was found in the Hudson. Her body wasn’t supposed to be found, Chief Inspector. Someone replaced her swimsuit. Look you’ll find out, or I will. I’d like to think we’ll do it together. But I promise you one thing. Sara’s death will not be diminished by the men in your department. She will not be relegated to being a troubled girl. She’s important. And I daresay, if her murder goes unpunished, she won’t be the last at this school. Not by a mile. And then you and your men will certainly have something to answer for. Because I’m here now. And I ring a very loud alarm.”

February 21, 2023 00:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.