0 comments

Drama Friendship Coming of Age

Change is inevitable

“What is it about parties that intrigue and excite people? And why are those people considered boring who do not attend parties?” Deepa, debating with her office colleagues during lunch hours. 

Deepa held an esteemed position in a bank in Bangalore and admired and respected by her colleagues for her cordial attitude and kind personality. An introvert who preferred her own space and privacy and looked for excuses to stay at home whenever any friend called her for an outing. She liked her own company. She watched movies alone, even eating out all alone, and was a solo traveler too.

The office staff was planning a farewell celebration for Nitish, who had got transferred to Jaipur from Bangalore and was leaving this weekend. Nitish and Deepa have worked together for 2 years and had turned into good friends. Their personality was just contrary to each other, yet they always backed each other on the personal and professional front.

Deepa was extremely sentimental when she heard about his transfer, but tried not to reveal it on her face. Nitish asked her, “Hey Deepa, you seem thrilled on hearing the news about my transfer. Are you so fed up with my antics?” Deepa, confused, thought about how and what to respond to. She hesitated and replied, “No, my friend, nothing like that. But I am happy for you as you always wished this and this is an opportunity for you to grow.”

Nitish seemed annoyed with her reply. And he just left her cabin saying nothing. During lunch hours that day, Nitish did not accompany her for lunch. Deepa thought maybe he requires some privacy, so she too did not call him. The staff discussing with each other “Hey Deepa, why don’t we organize an adieu for Nitish this Friday. Suggest some good joints where we all can spend time with each other and also have wonderful food.”

Deepa was silent, and everyone looked stunned. Archana, her colleague, and friend, exclaimed, “Why are you quiet? I realize you are unhappy that Nitish is leaving us but we should send him off with pleasant remembrances, isn’t it? And since you are one of his good friends, you recommend what should be gifted and which place he would like?”

“You guys choose. See, I am not into parties and all, so I cannot suggest anything. I mean, the last party I attended was in school.” Deepa, in an unsettled tone, left without finishing her lunch and went back to work. 

The next morning, both Deepa and Nitish just wished each other and went to their respective cabins. None of them uttered a word to each other. She was constantly thinking about what to tell him and how to console him, as she was not good at communicating emotions. She could not concentrate on her work. They did not have lunch together that day.

Deepa called Archana to her cabin and asked, “Tomorrow is Friday. You were saying something regarding the farewell party, na. Anything decided?”

Archana said “No Deepa. If you also suggest it would be much better”

Deepa then offered the option of a good rooftop cafe which was Nitish's favorite. “What about the present?” Archana exclaimed. “That I will take care”. Deepa said. Archana, grinning “Oh, so someone is completely eager to attend a party, it seems”

“No no. Not at all. You know I hate parties. Anyway, I am not attending,” Deepa, still in a confused state of mind.

Archana, shocked, “What are you saying! He will be really disappointed if you don’t attend. And it is his last day in the office tomorrow.” 

Deepa kept quiet. Then she prepared a list of the cuisine to be served at the party and asked Archana to call the cafe and make the arrangements. “Please ensure that Nitish is not informed of all this. Let it be a surprise for him.”

That evening, after office, Deepa drove down to the cafe, which was fairly far from her residence, and had a discussion with the manager regarding how the place is to be done up and which flowers, etc to be used. She had taken utmost care that everything should be as per Nitish's liking. Then she ordered a beautiful big heart-shaped cake and asked the shop to deliver to the cafe at 8 pm the next day.

She was just concerned about the gift, as she didn’t even have an entire day to get that designed.

It was Friday. Nitish's last day in office. Both Deepa and Nitish were avoiding each other for the past 2 days. Nitish looked sad, and he came to Deepa's cabin to wish her. She wasn't there. He loudly asked the staff, “Where is your Madam Deepa?”

“We don't know, sir. She has informed nothing,” they exclaimed.

Nitish wanted to call her and shout at her furiously for her behavior. In his mind, “Today is my last day in the office and she has disappeared without even uttering a word? Now I won’t speak to her ever.” He decided not to call her.

Archana saw Nitish was really upset. She went to his cabin and tried to console him, but he was not in a mood to listen to anything. 

Meanwhile, Deepa had taken an off just to arrange the best gift for her best friend so that this day becomes memorable for him.

She called Archana and before she could say anything Archana interrupted, “Where are you? Don't you today is his last day in office and he is really upset. Are you coming to the party or not? And what about his gift?”

Deepa asked her to calm down “Archana, I am on leave. I had some personal work and I am feeling sick too. I won’t be able to attend the party. Please ensure that all arrangements are made in the cafe. And yes, I have ordered the cake and gift. This is the cake shop number. Please call them and confirm. The gift part will be taken care of before Nitish arrives.”

Archana, totally astonished, “Why you are doing all this when you can’t even attend one party for your friend's sake. Do you have to be so adamant every time? And there are only known faces at the party, so you won’t feel out of place, I promise you.” Archana tried to persuade her somehow but Deepa had decided not to attend the party as she was feeling sad and distressed at the same time in attending a party after so long.

It was evening and as the party time was nearing, Deepa was getting calls from all her office staff, but she did not pick any calls. She knew that her behavior was strange. All kinds of concerns were making her anxious- Will Nitish call me? Will he ever talk to me again? Will I lose one more good friend?

She also tried to console herself at the same time. “No, nothing can affect our friendship. Even if I don’t attend his party, he will understand as he knows I detest going to functions and parties.”

It was 8 pm and one by one, all the attendees were arriving. 

“Who is informing Nitish?” one colleague asked. Then they were gossiping “Deepa is there na, she will take care.”

To everybody's shock, Archana told them that Deepa is not attending the party, and she suddenly realized that Deepa had told her to arrange a cab to pick Nitish. She had totally forgotten about it. When she was about to call the cab, she saw a message from Deepa which read, “I have arranged the cab. Don't worry.”

Archana thanked her and again requested to come to the party.

Meanwhile, Nitish was packing his things, unaware of the party. Suddenly, the doorbell rang, and he saw Deepa standing at the door with a big and beautiful bouquet and a sorry message card. Nitish got really emotional and couldn’t contain his tears. He just hugged Deepa and cried a lot.

Deepa consoling him “Nitish, stop sobbing. It does not suit you. First, get dressed and please wear something nice. We have to go somewhere.”

“Where?” He asked.

“Don't ask any more questions, We don’t have time. Just come along with me. I am waiting outside in the car.”

Till they approached the cafe, Nitish kept asking her that what is all this about but she kept absolutely quiet.

He mentioned “Hey this is my favorite cafe. Why have we halted here?”

Come with me. Deepa, holding his hand, took him to the rooftop where everybody was looking forward to the party to start.

“Hey, guys. See who’s here.” Deepa, totally enthusiastic.

Nitish couldn’t believe his eyes. Such beautiful decorations all around and a huge poster with his name and photo saying “We will miss you.”

“Thank you all.” He said.

Archana came running to Deepa and stated, “You are such a devil. And all this time you were constructing a drama saying you don’t like parties, etc.”

“Archana, I had decided actually not to come to the party. You know how antisocial I am. But when I thought about all the memories we have shared, a thought crossed my mind- that I will repent this moment forever if I cannot be with my best friend on the last day.” Archana was in tears. 

All of them enjoyed their food and drinks and had a good time together. 

“Ok people. All of you please leave your food and drinks aside and join me to present a beautiful gift for Mr. Nitish, who will leave us in a few hours’ time but will not be leaving our hearts.”

Deepa presented the gift which she had specially made for Nitish. She herself had prepared a beautiful photo frame hand-painted and with a collage of all the photos comprising lovely times in office with all the colleagues- happy, sad and all emotions just flashed as they relived the moments.

Nitish. spellbound, “I am not in a situation to say anything. This is one of the best days of my life and I will never forget all of you, ever. Deepa, this is so thoughtful of you. You have made my stay worthwhile.”

It overjoyed Deepa to see Nitish's reaction and was fully emotional. “See, because of you, an anti-social element like me attended a party after so many years. You always used to tease me, isn’t it? Frankly, I really don't know whether I will attend more parties but anything for my best friend and colleague. I hope you get what you deserve and we will always be there for you.”

The party ended with everyone posing for selfies and smiling and hugging each other.

Deepa was dropping Nitish back home, and she said “I am really sorry for my behavior for the past few days. I was just totally confused about my feelings and just did not know how to tell you I will miss you a lot. You have given me so much happiness in such a brief span of time.” Both of them hugged each other and bid goodbye.

Deepa, on the way back home, thought “Attending parties is not that bad like I had believed all these years.” She kept looking at all the photos repeatedly and dozed off weeping and thinking about how the next morning will be without Nitish in the office.

May 15, 2021 01:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.