3 comments

Crime Sad

This was supposed to be the best day of our lives. Tom had proposed during lunchtime in the campus cafeteria. Just the two of us. Some people might need a huge, magical proposal, not me.

“Look Alana,” He’d said, “I know I don’t have much to my name. I know you could do much better than me, but I’m too selfish and I want you to be mine. Forever. I love you and I want you to be my wife.” It took me a few seconds to reslise he was proposing. When I didn’t answer he went on. “We are young, I know. If you think it’s best we get our degrees first I’ll understand, it makes sense actually.”

“Yes, Tom! I’ll marry you.” I grabbed his face and kissed him.

“Now? Or after we graduate?” He asked after our quick kiss.

“As soon as possible! Today, if we can.” I was so happy. So, so happy.

A nurse had been in and out of the room the whole afternoon, checking on us. There were three other patients in the room.

“Alana.”

Mom. I instantly recognised the whispered voice. I hadn’t seen her in over two years now and wanted it to continue that way.

“Alana, I’m so sorry, darling.” She was crying. I couldn’t find it in me to believe she was sorry. Sorry for what? Throwing me out when I needed her most? Yeah, she hadn’t apologised for that yet. I turned my face to the window. It was a gray day outside too.

“I need you to know I am very sorry for everything I did to you. I’m sorry it took me so long to reach out to you.” Her voice faltered and she wiped her tears. She touched my hand and I let her. “I’m so relieved you are okay.”

“It was supposed to be the best day of our lives.” I said noticing my throat was raw and aching. Memories from back then assaulted me. Me screaming Tom’s name over and over again. Crying as I saw them take his lifeless body. That must have been when I passed out because I don’t remember getting here.

“That man… was he your boyfriend?”

Was. Final like that, was as in isn’t anymore. Because he’s dead. Suddenly it became hard to breathe, my vision blurred and all went black for a moment. Then my hearing muffled like I was underwater. Someone was talking over me, a nurse. Then a doctor was asking me something when I tried to sit the best I could before I puked all over them.

“She’ll be fine, right now she’s overwhelmed. It’s best if we let her rest and sleep.” I could hear someone say.

It was hours before I felt the clouds lifting from my mind and I could think clearly again. I closed my eyes and thought back to this morning, remembering him. We were so happy.

We were on our way to City Hall, both dressed in our wedding outfits. We’d mused for days on what to wear and I’d finally found the prettiest dress I’d ever seen in a thrift shop Myla had told me about. It was only $15, which was perfect. Tom had on a gray three-piece suit Otto had lended him that was just slightly loose, as Otto was a bit taller. But our clothes didn’t really matter when it hit us that we’d be finally bound for life. We would have a family. We would BE a family.

“What if there’s a line at the bank? We can’t miss the appointment.” I said as we turned the corner on Arnold Av.

“We have about three hours. It’s the middle of the month so payday is far enough for the lines to be that long.” He reasoned. “It’ll be quick, I’ll witdhraw and we’ll leave with spare time to buy you a flower bouquet.”

“I told you I don’t need a bouquet, Tom. We can save and use the money for the trip.” I was so happy about our little honeymoon trip I didn’t even mind not having a bouquet.

Tom took my hand as we went up the three steps to the bank door. He whispered in my ear.

“We’re so close, baby. Tomorrow this time we’ll be sitting together by the beach.”

There were three lines and we got in the shorter one. There were four people in front of us. It wouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes, I calculated. If only we’d arrived 10 minutes earlier.

I remembered there was a loud noise as something hit the glass door from outside the bank. “Those kids.” I heard someone say in disapproval.

I was wrong by 7 minutes and 22 minutes later it was our turn at the teller counter. We couldn’t use the ATM because Tom’d lost his card at campus. Again.

“I’d like to withdaw 3000 from my savings account please.” He told the woman. The man standing behind us let something fall and I looked at my feet to see a big spiderman backpack on the floor.

“Oh, sorry, miss.” He said “I was trying to get my card.” He picked the backpack up and asked if I could give him a hand.

“It’s for my nephew.” he said. “It’s his birthday today.” He continued searching the backpack that was hanging from his right shoulder for his card.

The teller had started handing Tom the money when I felt it. Something pressed to my back over the thin material of my dress.

“You scream, you die.” His voice was low in my ear. “What’s your man’s name?”

I was shocked into silence, I couldn’t form the word. He pressed the gun harder into my skin.

“Tom.” I said finally.

“Give Tom there the backpack and pass it to the teller.” Then looking at her he said.

“Fill it full. If you make as much as a suspecious movement she dies. That goes for you too, Tom.”

My hands shook so much I almost dropped the backpack. Tom looked sick as he passed the teller the bag. She looked the calmest of the three of us, getting immediately to filling the bag.

‘It’s okay.” Tom murmured to me.

“Yeah, pretty, it’s okay. Just do as I say and we’ll be all okay.” From my periferal vision I could see that his backpack was concealing the gun and people were totally oblivious to what was going on.

The teller gave back the backpack and he shifted so he hould take it with his free left hand.

“I said fill it.” He whispered.

“That’s all I have here.” She said.

“No. it isn’t.” He said back. Just give him the money, I thought desperately.

“They collect every hour and take the money to the safe inside.” The woman told him. “I’ve emptied my drawer, I swear that was all.” He cursed and the man in line next to us asked if everthing was alright.

I started crying then, I couldn’t control myself. A sob escaped me and more people looked. That’s when everything started getting really bad. One of the guards by the door walked to us.

“Hey, miss. Is there a problem?” And then he spotted the gun the man was hoding to my back. It all happened so fast. The guard withdrew his gun and there were two gunshots. The second came from the guard to the right. He’d hit the first guard on the leg, which caused him to miss his shot at the robber and shoot Tom instead.

People screamed and went to the floor scared for their lives

I screamed Tom’s name and cried so hard I thought I’d throw up. He wasn’t moving.

“He’s not moving! You killed him!”

“Hello, Ms Phillips.” A doctor said, bringing my mind back to the hospital room.

“How are you feeling?”

“It hurts.” I said, my head hurt. I could barely keep my eyes open. The lights were piercing my brain.

“Migraine.” I whispered.

He talked to the nurse about what medication to give me and I tried to remember Tom. To hold onto the moment I had him in my arms. For the last time.

“C’mon man! We have to go!” The guard who had shot the other one on the leg shouted.

“Open all the drawers!” The man shouted from behind me!

“Go! Go fast!” he screamed at the teller and she started emptying the other cabins drawers and putting the money in the backpack.

“Faster! You all don’t you dare call the police. If I hear a siren outside I kill her.”

There were 20 or so people on the floor. Most were crying, a few too shocked to even react. Two or three looked calmer. I couldn’t see Tom now that the man had brought me with him to where the woman filled the bag.

She handed it to him and he let me go. I fell to the floor and crawled to Tom as both men ran out the door. I hoped someone had called the police or an ambulance. I felt dizzy and my vision was blurry. Tom opened his eyes and looked at me. He was bleeding a lot, his vest all bloody.

“Tom please, stay with me.” I begged.

“Lana.” His voice was weak. “I was so scared when I saw he had the gun on you.”

“It’s ok now, my love. It’s over.” I held his hand and cried.

I woke up and noticed my headache was mostly gone. I looked to see my mother by my side once again.

“How did you find me?”

She looked up from her phone and stood.

“Hey, you’re awake. How’s your head?”

“How did you know I was here?” I asked again.

“You were on the news. I saw them carrying you to the ambulance. And two other men. One is alive, the doctors said. The security guard.”

I closed my eyes. I knew Tom was gone. He’s gone.

“Did you know him?”

“We were getting married today.”

“Oh, darling.” She sobbed. “I’m so sorry.”

“I’m sorry, Tom. I’m sorry.” I said over and over . “I love you so much.”

“Why are you sorry, Lan?” He almost smiled despite his weakness. I could hear the ambulance outside now.

“Soon they’ll come take you to the hospital.” I told him. “Tom?”

“We’ll be late, love. City hall.” He said “Will you marry me tomorrow instead?”

I was crying so hard it took me a few seconds to manage the word yes. But by then it was too late.

November 20, 2020 00:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kate Reynolds
00:55 Dec 07, 2020

Wow, this story was so emotional! Great job Ana!

Reply

Ana Paula
22:46 Dec 07, 2020

Thank you, Kate!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:25 Dec 07, 2020

Ofc! Looking forward to your new stories :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.