0 comments

Sad Mystery Thriller

In the big city of Melbont nothing ever changes and nothing ever goes wrong , it is known as more of a safe and sheltered place, or atleast ever since the power outage of 2034. No one really knows what exactly happened because the only survivors were children below the ages of about 12 and even then their memories seem to be short hazy clips along with the fact they give  terrible explanations of what they saw, meanwhile everyone else just seemed to vanish. One man claimed he was there and that he saw everything, saying he “escaped” though no one really believes him because he’s about to turn 83 next month and he can barely remember to put his clothes on correctly so we all just choose to ignore him but if I’m being honest with myself I’m starting to get more and more concerned with what he’s saying because if you were to really sit down and talk with him i'm sure things would start to sound less crazy.

 Though one thing that really freaks me out is the fact that every survivor remembers one specific part of the event which was just the number 37 no one really understands what it means but some conspiracy theorist who have been studying that date say it’s the day another power outage event is going to happen but we’ll find out soon enough because it just so happens to be the 37th year mark of that day, but no one really seems to be worried, everyone just thinks it was all just a big hoax, I guess everyone is just scared to have adrenaline running through their system unlike myself, but ever since this year has started I have yet to hear from that old man, so unlike everyone else I decided to have a talk with him and see if something might happen.

Once I found where he lived it almost seemed as if his house was abandoned so I knocked on the door, when right away there he was answering the door with a knife, I’m honestly not so surprised, “Who are you! ” he said, now that I realize it I don't believe I ever told him my name, so I just responded with “a person who believes you.” He let me in right away, he asked me what I wanted to know and I simply said anything and everything about the power outage of 2034. The old man was suspicious of me at first, asking me why I’m so interested in this event now, so I responded with the fact it was the 37th year mark and about how some people believe that the power outage will happen again and once I said that the man looked at me and said “well for once they're right it will happen again very soon, that's why I’m leaving, you're more than welcome to join if you’d like.” Thought I was more worried about everyone else in the town, what would happen to them? In shock and disbelief I ask “what do you mean you're leaving what about everyone else in this town, where do you even plan a going to?” He just said “wherever I’m destined to be'' as if that's a real answer.

 For the next couple of days before he was about to leave we spent everyday together talking about the theories of the power outage, he told me thousands of stories of what he remembers seeing, he even pulled out some drawing that he made from the event, he said that he draws them to never forget what happened that day even though he was more than traumatized, he believes that he survived for a reason as if he was “the chosen one” or something. He was about 46 when that event happened his wife unfortunately didn’t make it he constantly said that the worst part out of everything was losing her but that's the only reason he stayed in that old house of his. But as the the days got closer and closer to the event I gave in to the old man, I was going to leave with him, I realized he was the only one who really ever talked to me and actually enjoyed having me over, I mean I don’t have any other friends to worry about my step dad could care less were I go and I really have no one else in the town that I know, so why not. I packed my bags and headed over to the old man's house.

It’s actually happening it’s the day before the big event I was finally going to see if it’s real or just a hoax me and the old man started packing up our stuff and did a quick warning to the entire town, telling everyone it will be their last and final caution for the event and still no one wanted to believe us. We finally said all our goodbyes to the stupid city of Melbont and left. I ended up leaving behind multiple hidden cameras to see if we would capture anything from these so called creatures. We were almost out of the city when all of a sudden the lights began to flicker on and off, the old man new that these things were close, he began to become more and more worried by the second, out of my 16 years of life i've never experienced a power outage but for some reason once I saw those lights flicker I could feel a gigantic pit in my stomach start to form, something just felt off, and suddenly our car began to slow down more and more by the minute, we thought nothing of it, we had filled up the tank right before we left and the car seemed to be in perfect condition, until it just stopped. We were stuck in the city, it's almost as if we weren't allowed to leave, as if a force was telling us to stay and we had no choice but to go back and stay hidden from whatever were to come. Then as soon as the clocks hit midnight we were left in the pitch black darkness.

“They're here” said the old man, he sounded terrified to his core. We were both hiding in his house. He even had secret tunnels throughout his house, he had really been preparing for this thing. Nothing strange happened for a few long minutes, until we heard someone or something open the door we used a peep hole to see who it was though it was too dark to even make out a figure. Then out of nowhere it almost seemed to be the sound of a woman's voice asking for help saying that someone tried to kidnap her along with her friends we couldn’t take any chances so we stayed quiet until we hear a loud bang and a quick scream coming from the kitchen and still not being able to see a single thing warm blood began to slip into our hideout it was that poor girls, whatever got into the house got that girl, right then and there I wanted to scream my head off, I had the blood of some random girl all over my hands luckily the old man put his hand over my mouth and just comforted me until I was quiet, for hours sitting in darkness all we heard was heavy wind blowing through the air and faint screams in the distance. I was absolutely terrified for my life. I had no idea what to think. Me and the old man did not say a word to each other the entire time when all of sudden a hardcover book from the shelf fell right on my foot I couldn’t help it so I made a slight squealing sound and within seconds we were surrounded by these creatures.

The old man told me to stay calm and quiet once more by writing it down on a piece of paper, so that's what I did, but that didn't make those creatures back off, and at this point I was able to faintly see them, they appeared to be around 7 feet tall with black leathery skin and huge webbed claws, every single one of them was dripping with blood that wasn’t their own and all you could hear was their heavy breath almost as if the were right next to you. The old man signaled that he was going to create a diversion that way I could get into a different hiding spot, but this old man was definitely on some heavy drugs with the stunt he decided to go with. He thought it would actually be a good idea to outrun them, I mean seriously he's supposed to be the more wiser one right, but luckily he had me to just throw a baseball in the opposite direction which is a ten times better plan if i say so myself. From there on out I decided to just take about a 30 minute nap before the sun begins to rise and this is all over with but the thing is once I woke up with the lovely sun in my face the old man was gone almost as he just vanished I yelled out for him about a thousand times and nothing then as I close the door to the house I realize a note hammered onto the door frame. It says “I’m sorry for leaving without saying goodbye but this is the way it has to be they only wanted me, when they saw I was the last survivor of 2034  they wanted me gone so I gave myself up but don’t be sad because now I can finally be in a better place and hey maybe I’ll get to see my wife again, thank you for the past few weeks they truly were the best, and you deserve to get out of that city, and live your life those things are gone for good so don’t be too worried, see you in the next life. Sincerely, Frank (AKA the old man who never told you his name). I couldn’t believe it he was gone and his name was Frank what’s that about, till this day I still wonder why exactly he left, but you should never question such a crazy old man.

May 07, 2021 20:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.