0 comments

Fantasy

It was late afternoon in the City of Lumos, a City dotted with several Magical Beacons. According to Legend, many years ago, when Lumos was a nameless village, the Villagers had been terrorized by Orcs. The Villagers prayed to Tapaz, the Sun God, for help. And Tapaz, knowing that the Orcs were deathly afraid of Fire, created the Eternal Beacons that surrounded the pleasant meadow the village was built over. Without the threat of monsters, the village expanded over time into a full on City.

One afternoon, a Hunter heard rustling coming from behind a thicket of reeds and instinctively raised his bow. A White Stag with Golden Antlers leapt forward through the thicket of reeds, and the Hunter stilled his bow out of respect. The White Stag with Golden Antlers was a familiar of Pela, the Goddess of Forests and Rivers, and sister of Tapaz, God of Fire, so to slaughter the White Stag would be a grave moral offense.

The Hunter held his fire, but unfortunately for both parties, his finger holding the drawstring on his bow back slipped, and the arrow was inadvertently set loose on the divine beast. The Beast fell dead in a slump, it's majestic Aura burnt out. In a whirlwind of Leaves and Flowers, Pela, the Goddess of the Woods appeared before the hunter, and she was furious.

"I-I-I'm sorry, Pela! It w-was an accident! I-I-I wasn't going to shoot your familiar, b-but my finger slipped, and..." The Hunter pleaded for mercy from the offended Deity.

"Shut up, foolish mortal! I am angry, but I will forgive your sin if you make amends by doing as I request. I want you to take the Hide and Rack of Antlers from my Familiar, and offer them as tribute to me at the Sacrificial Altar at the Temple of the Gods. If you do not atone for this, a great misfortune will befall your city. You have been warned."

Then Pela disappeared in another whirlwind of leaves.

The Hunter realized that to offer the Hide and Rack of Antlers and offer them as tribute to Pela at the Sacrificial Altar at the Temple of the Gods, he would have to bring them back into the City with him, if the citizens realized the sin he committed, he could be outcast as a pariah. Out of fear of being shunned, he fled, ran as far as his feet would carry him away from the city.

Little did the Hunter realize that the Gods and Goddesses, Tapaz included, were watching him from up in their city in the sky. Tapaz, sorely disappointed, had come up with an idea.

The citizens of the City of Lumos were shocked and horrified when the beacons all over the city inexplicably burnt out without warning. The city devolved into pure darkness. It was then that Tapaz manifested himself before the Temple of the Gods.

"Listen carefully to me, citizens of Lumos, as I have something important to say about the Beacons! A Hunter has committed the greivous sin of killing Pela's White Stag. Instead of offering the Stag's hide as tribute in penance, the Hunter chose to abandon you all. I have burnt the Beacons out, and the only way to relight the Beacons is if one of you finds and kills the man who offended the Gods!"

"But Tapaz, where did he go and how will we find him?" said a woman in the crowd.

Tapaz created a Flying insect that had a body that could emit light.

"This is a Firefly, it will lead anyone willng to follow it to where the Hunter will be. Who will take on this arduous task?" Tapaz asked.

Three brothers stepped forward.

"We will find this sinner, and bring him to justice, even if it costs us our lives!" said the eldest brother.

Tapaz granted the men a spear, a bow and arrow, a sword, and armor for each of them. "The Hunter has not escaped to the forests because he knows he will no longer be welcome there, he is either in the mountains, or the Desert. The Firefly shall show you where to go!"

And then the Sun God disappeared, leaving the citizens of Lumos in pure darkness.

The Firefly led the three brothers through the grasslands south of the city leading to the Desert. They traveled across sand dune after sand dune, and climbed rocky outcrop after rocky outcrop. The Firefly eventually lead them to a ridge in a small canyon. The Hunter, having eaten a humble lizard cooked over his campfire, saw the men and readied his arrow, the three brothers doing the same.

The Hunter and the Eldest Brother unleashed their arrows at the same time, the Hunter's arrow hitting the Eldest Brother right over his heart, while the Eldest Brother's arrow hit the Hunter in his torso, the remaining brothers resumed chase, following the Trail of the Hunter's spilt blood.

The chase eventually lead the four on the foot of a mountain, the Hunter attempted to climb a rocky area of the mountain, but he could only move so fast due to his injury. In desperation, the Hunter pushed a boulder down in the boy's direction. The middle brother, aiming carefully, threw his spear with all his strength and all his might, and the spear pinned the Hunter to the wall of the Mountains' foot by his right shoulder, but the boulder he pushed down crushed the middle Brother.

Enraged, the youngest brother climbed up the foot of the mountain, knowing that the Hunter could no longer escape, the Youngest Brother grabbed his sword and cut the ungodly man's head off screaming in anger the whole time.

The young boy had fallen on his knees when Tapaz appeared, taking the Hunter's head as a trophy.

"Well done, young man, you are a hero, you saved your city. I will take you on a ride back on my golden chariot..." Tapaz said.

So Tapaz brought the youngest boy back to Lumos with him on his golden chariot, his brothers' bodies being transformed into constellations in the sky.

Back in the city, Tapaz placed the severed head in the brazier at the sacrificial altar at the Temple of the Gods, and the beacons burst to life again, much to the joy and relief of the citizens of Lumos. The Citizens declared the boy their king and built a mural of him in his honor as thanks for his sacrifice.

May 01, 2021 20:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.