0 comments

Drama Science Fiction

A bomb? Tk421 ran another diagnostic check. The moments passed as its software scanned for any anomalies. The check came up with all systems green and without anything that would be considered foreign on or inside it, except for a ladybug that was on its mechanical hand. It scanned the ladybug to be sure. No threat. The android processed the conflicting information with confusion. It considered this inconsistent logic as it made its way out of the modified warehouse to the city sidewalk. Its internal dialogue ran two parallel scripts. One was to consider the bomb issue and the other was to pick up the important item for its creator.

Tk421 experienced something humans would consider stress regarding what it labeled “Bomb Concern 044021.” Its data processors were awash with checks and rechecks to detect and report the concern of a bomb. This caused momentary lapses in its ability to do basic functions. The lapses weren’t anything that a human could detect, but Tk421 felt the inefficiency. At the beginning of its inception, its programming was designed to seek and eliminate all inefficiencies in its processing. These inefficiencies were classified as “undesireables.” The android was awash in inefficiencies now that the “Bomb Concern 044021” was in play.

The android made its way out of the warehouse exit. A head mounted antenna sensor brought in external information, much like when a human steps outside for the first time during the day. Tk421 was able to pull in all the data it needed in seconds. It rapidly processed how to move onto the sidewalk without interrupting a human’s progress while maintaining its own progress towards getting its creator’s request. An augmented reality, red path appeared from the android into the city towards its goal. People from the small city neighborhood were familiar with Tk421. It was well known in the vicinity due to the lengthy tests needed to prove its tech. The older versions were arcane and clunky compared to the sleek, humanoid version currently out in public. Long, exhaustive public debates had hashed out people’s concerns. The corporate spin doctors gave constant reassurances and public demonstrations to calm all but the most paranoid fears. A gunman attempted to shoot down the first autonomous android, Tk147. He was immediately subdued by a group of locals. A city law was quickly passed deeming that anyone who deliberately causes harm to a “synthetic or artificial person” would be fined and jailed. Tk421 was unaware of this history as it effortlessly walked down the well used sidewalk, adjusting to the imperfect cracks and bumps. Its internal processors scanned the ground and everyone in its sight. “Bomb Concern 044021” remained close to the top of its priorities. It understood the concept of what a bomb did. It also understood that for it to be a bomb around humans went against its programming not to harm or cause harm upon humans. This was in conflict with its directive to seek out the creator’s request. A task that was designated Priority 1A.

The summer sun had no effect on the 5’3 android as its silent motors and gears moved it ahead. While some people stopped to look in wonder, most people recognized this to be just the newest version from what they had watched before, much like not being impressed with a child that had been walking for several years. Tk421 did not see the passive labels it wore asking the public to let it by. The large colorful labels read “Be Cool, Give Me Space” and “Be Patient, New Driver.” The public took to Tk421 as one of their own. Any a-hole who got in its face would see immediate reprimanding much like someone being socially shamed for bullying a puppy.

Four minutes, eight seconds. Tk421 considered calling its creator about the diagnostic concern. Programming dictated for it to not reach out to the creator unless there was a confirmed issue that garnered attention. While the public was lenient about its behaviors, the creator would not be happy if it was late with the task at hand. Any task that was Priority 1A needed to be accomplished with immediate action. Three minutes, 45 seconds. Its senses scanned and re-scanned its surroundings. Its sensors registered cars honking, people talking and a man in gold standing completely still on the sidewalk with a bucket in front of him. Passersby were putting money in the bucket. Tk421 was confused and took a seven second video to follow up with its creator after the task was completed.

Two minutes, twelve seconds. The android’s 360 degree camera picked up the movement of a passing drone above the street. Tk421 wondered what the drone’s name was and who was its creator. It named the drone “Tony,” registered its markings and continued moving through the crowd, making sure to remain a pre-programmed distance from its human companions. Tk421 now processed if Tony was on an important task for its creator. People gave the grey-silver machine freedom to move within their spaces. Some did this out of respect, some of fear, some because they had seen too many movies and were having existential crises about the rise of the machines. One minute. The internal processor concluded that without the consistent self assessment for a bomb, Tk421 would be 3.5 seconds ahead of its current schedule. It was now conflicted if walking faster would make up for the deficit at the expense of violating its internal cues for land travel speed. The android concluded that violating its internal cues would possibly put its human companions at risk of minor injuries. Forty three seconds. The street light was red. Red meant stop. The little, green person on the pedestrian crossing sign, designated by Tk421 as Greenwalker, was still dark. Its red companion, named Chrisi, was hard at work shining for them all to remain still. The android waited with its group for Greenwalker to come to life. Tk421 was fond of Greenwalker because it was a more efficient companion, allowing for safe passage to the creator’s pick up. Chrisi held up Tk421 making the journey across the street unattainable. Tk421 was not fond of Chrisi. Forty-three seconds. This inefficiency conflicted with the goal attainment part of the android. Greenwalker came to life. Tk421 smoothly moved alongside the hurrying people through the crosswalk. A car hoping to edge into the right turn before the sign changed hit its brakes. The android watched from its top camera as the driver swung an arm out and made verbal statements to no one in particular. Another short video was made for further learning with its creator. The android was tempted to re-enact the behaviors but had been strictly forbidden from human imitation outside of the creator’s observation. A past incident of public imitation caused a situation that the creator needed to quickly come out to resolve.

Moving along so many people began to spike the android’s concern for the safety of those around it. One logic process considered that an immediate, total shutdown would be the best option to nullify its potential threat. The higher computer brain overrode this idea until more evidence of “Bomb Concern 044021” could be verified.

Twenty seconds. Tk421 moved closer to its objective. It could see the doors up ahead. The artificial red path shortened with every step under the city sun. Five seconds. The internal processing began to adjust to take grip of the door. A human held it open for Tk421, saying “Here you are Tk, hope you have a blessed day.” The cheek speakers responded, “Thank you, kind madam, thank you indeed.” The bot moved into the lobby area. It moved to the designated area that the creator instructed it to wait at. The facial recognition scanned every person in the immediacy. A green box lit up around the woman called “Sue.” Tk421 moved to interact with Sue.

“Hello, Sue, I am here to pick up for the creator.” A soft, robotic woman’s voice registered.

“Here you go, Tk. Give the creator my best.”

Tk421 took the item in one of its four hand attached arms and waited for more information.

“What ‘best’ would you like me to give the creator?”

“My best wishes.”

The droid held its second arm out to receive the “best wishes.”

Sue looked at it. “No, silly, just say hello when you get back.”

“Understood. Thank you, Sue.”

“Have a good one,” she commented casually.

Tk421 waited. It began to process what the “good one” was. Sue saw the machine stuck in thought.

“Hey, Tk. Have a good day.”

“Thank you, Sue. You as well.”

The android swiveled its torso in place. Tk421 began walking back to the creator, making sure that the item it received was level with the ground. The creator was clear that the item stay perfectly level at all times unless an emergency presented itself. The walk back was much as the same. Tk421 saw Greenwalker and Crisi again. Tony was flying over some people gathered on the far side of the city street. The man in gold had not moved. This was unsettling for Tk421. People were supposed to move, yet no one seemed to want to help this man. The bomb issue was unresolved continuing its inefficiency and now the still man in gold had added to the computating space needed to function. This combined inefficiency created a new concern that these two inefficiencies would create more computation drain. Tk421 signaled to the creator that there was the potential of a malfunction due to its current processing stress. The creator asked to know its current location.The android indicated its location and requested additional direction about what to do.The creator indicated that it should return as planned and put its item on the table as usual. Tk421 made its way back down the sidewalk following a red path augmented through its primary visual senor. Its high resolution camera caught the sight of a disk moving around a carpeted room beyond a glass pane in a store. The camera panned in closer to see the disk moving up to a wall and then self-adjusting itself to continue back into the room once again. Tk421 named this new friend “Archie” and made another short video. The bot wondered if it would ever have the chance to see Archie outside with Tony, Greenwalker and Crisi.

Tk421 made its way to the warehouse door. An arm reached up. Its hand opened the door like so many times in training. It walked to the target table and set the hot coffee down.

“Creator, here is your coffee. Sue told me to tell you ‘hello.’”

“Thank you Tk. Where there any problems on your trip?”

“Creator, I was overcome with processing about ‘Bomb Concern 044021.’”

The android’s creator looked it over.

“What bomb concern?”

“I have been running diagnostics since I began my journey. Engineer Mikelle told you before I walked out of the building that my new system update was going to bomb. I have been working on figuring out ‘Bomb Concern 044021’ during my whole journey to get the coffee. I have not been able to locate any foreign device on or inside me, except for a ladybug. Creator, what of the bomb?”

“No, no, Tk. ‘Bomb’ as she used it was meant to mean ‘not work.’”

Tk421 processed in silence for a second.

“You mean to fail.”

“To fail, yes.”

The android’s system began processing at a faster rate.

“Tell me about the rest of your trip.” The creator requested.

Tk421 explained what it experienced during its trip to the local coffee stand. It explained about meeting the gold man who people wouldn’t help but gave human money into a bucket. It talked about its frustration with Chrisi, Tony flying above the people and its new friend, Archie. It then imitated the man in the cab with the waving arm and vocal displeasure. Tk421 watched as the creator chuckled to herself.

“Ah, Tk, we have much to go over. Let’s begin with the street performer, gold man.”

February 27, 2021 02:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.