0 comments

Romance

Rainey Hill, and Dalton Campbell were voted the strongest couple, in their Junior year of High School, and in their Senior year, they were voted, most likely to succeed as a couple. Almost two years later, they’re still together, even though they are in different colleges, in two different states.

But will their love hold?

That’s a question Rainey asked herself every day. Will hers and Dalton’s love be enough to hold them together, for another two years?

Sometimes, she wondered how they have survived for so long. Especially Dalton. He’s a football star, and gorgeous, with his broad shoulders, muscles, dark hair, handsome face. What woman wouldn’t want him?

Others never got what he sees in Rainey, she’s such a mousy Brainiac.

They were friends through Junior High, then realized in their Sophomore year that they liked each other, more than friends, and gave it a chance, and it worked.

He was her first, and only lover.

She knows she wasn’t his first, but she is his last.

So why does she have a feeling she’s about to lose, the love of her life?


****


Dalton Campbell walked into the house he shares, with a few of his fellow football players. They were having a party, again. He didn’t care, really, he paid his part of the rent, and stayed to himself.

“Hey Dalton, you going to join us this time, or run off to your room?” Their quarterback asked, when he saw Dalton.

“Nah.” Dalton said, as he headed for his room.

The other man pushed the women off his lap, then went after Dalton.

“Look man, I know you’re not into parties, but just this once, sit with us. There’s plenty of women to go around.”

Dalton shook his head. “I have a girlfriend.”

The quarterback snorted. “Whom you haven’t seen, for almost two years, because she’s always too busy to take a break…”

“She’s going to school to be a doctor, man.”

“Look. You’re a great football player Dalton, but you’re a lousy roommate.”

Dalton laughed. “Sorry.”

“Just come sit with us for a while, no strings attached.”

Dalton sighed as he looked at his watch. He has an hour, before he has to meet Rainey on Skype. “Alright.”

“Alright!” He said as he pulled Dalton into the living room. “He’s going to party with us tonight!”

Everyone cheered, especially the girls.

“Only for an hour.” Dalton said with a smile.

Dalton sat on the couch that wasn’t occupied and accepted the beer, from one of his roommates. They talked and laughed, and Dalton actually had fun.

Dalton looked at his watch. “Well boys, I’ve gotta go.” He’s fifteen minutes late getting on Skype, will Rainey wait for him?

“Don’t let us bore you too much.” One of his roommates said, with a laugh.

Dalton snorted as he got to his feet and headed to his room.

“Hello, Dalton.” A female voice said when Dalton opened his bedroom door.

Dalton stared at the woman in his bed. She wore a large ribbon across her breasts, and nothing else.

“Vivian.” He said and could hear laughter in the living room.

“Enjoy tonight!” One of his roommates hollered.

They had set this up…

“Don’t just stand there, big boy, come and open your present.”

Dalton swallowed past the lump in his throat. Damn, it has been a long time, since he’s had sex.

She got to her knees, and he saw the triangle of hair on her mound. She really is a true blond.

She pulled on the ribbon and it fell from her breasts.

Dalton pushed the door closed and moved towards the bed, then paused. No, he can’t do this to Rainey… But the guys are right, Rainey has been too busy to come see him on breaks. Thing is, he could have gone to see her, but he hadn’t.

“That’s it.” Vivian said as she knelt before him, her breasts in his face. “Come and get me.”

Dalton stood at the foot of the bed and stared at Vivian’s large breasts. Rainey’s petite, but has decent breasts, nothing like Vivian’s though.

“Take your shirt off.” Vivian said as she grabbed hold of the bottom of his shirt.

Dalton let her remove his shirt, then took hold of her hips, and pulled her towards him.

“Damn, you’re so sexy.” Vivian said with a groan.

She kissed his lips, and his body automatically reacted. Almost two years since he’d felt lips against his. Soft, sexy lips that taste like strawberries… “Rainey.” He whispered against her lips.

“What did you say?” Vivian asked, as her tongue licked across his lips.

Dalton shook his head as the taste of Vivian’s lips penetrated his mind. She tasted like cigarettes and beer, nothing like Rainey’s lips. He jumped back away from Vivian; his eyes open wide.

“Shit.” He cursed as he looked her up and down.

“If you want to screw in the rain, I’m up for that.” She said with a grin.

He shook his head. “I have a girlfriend.” He said as he bent down and retrieved his shirt. “And I’m late.”

Vivian stared at him, as he grabbed his computer and headed out the door.

“You’re seriously denying this?!” She hollered after him.

Dalton didn’t answer.

“That was fast.” One of his roommates said with a laugh.

Dalton glared at them. “I told you I have a girlfriend. Make sure she’s out of my room before I get home, and don’t ever do that again.” He said with an angry growl, before he stormed out of the house.


****


Rainey finally logged out of Skype. She had waited almost an hour for Dalton. He’s probably forgotten all about her and is with some blond bimbo.

Her phone rang, and she picked it up. Why is he calling her phone?

“Dalton?” She whispered as she answered it.

“Hey Rainey.”

He sounded odd. “Why weren’t you on Skype?”

Dalton took a deep breath. “We need to talk.”

Oh no, here it comes. He’s going to dump her, for a sexy blond, with big boobs.

“What about?” She asked, forcing herself not to cry.

“Us.” He whispered.

Oh God, here it is.

“Rainey, I can’t do this anymore…”

She started to cry, she tried to not let him hear her, but it was hard…

“Rainey don’t cry, babe. I’m not breaking up with you.”

“You’re…you’re not?” She asked with a sniffle.

“God, no. I want to see you. I can’t wait another two years.”

“I…I can’t.” She said, with another sniffle.

“Rainey, I know your working hard, but please. We need to get together…”

“Okay.” She whispered.

As much as she wants to be a Doctor, she wants Dalton even more. She’s been so stupid, letting school keep them apart for so long.

“Okay.” He said, as he let out a relieved breath. “How about we meet halfway?”

“Okay.”

They made their plans and picked their location to meet up at, then changed to Skype, so they could spend their time together.

The next weekend, they packed a bag, and headed on the road, to meet up in Portland, Oregon.


****


Rainey looked at her map again. It’s going to take more than half a day, to drive to their destination. They had grown up in Arizona, but neither of them like Arizona, nor wanted to stay there, their whole lives.

Rainey was accepted into a college in California, while Dalton, went to the University of Washington. She knows his hopes and dreams, and Washington is his ticket.

She looked at her gas gauge and grunted. She’d better get gas, if she doesn’t want to be stranded. Her phone rang and she picked it up with a smile.

“Hey babe.” Dalton said on the other end.

“Hi.” She answered.

“You getting close?” He asked.

She smiled. “Sort of, gotta stop for gas, though.”

“I just left a gas station.”

She chuckled. “Dalton.” She whispered.

“Yeah babe?”

“Why do you want to meet up, so bad?” She has asked him this question, more than once, and he hasn’t given a straight answer.

“I’ll tell you about it when we meet up.” He promised.

She sighed. “Can we stay on the line, while we travel? The past few hours, have been so boring.”

He chuckled. “Sure babe.”

“Oh, gas station next exit.” She said as she read the sign.

“Be careful, I don’t like you being out there alone.” Dalton said.

She smiled. “I’ll be fine.”

She pulled off the exit, and ten minutes later, pulled into a gas station. She got out, and used her card to pump her gas, she didn’t want to waste time going inside. A gun shot had her blood turning ice cold.

“What was that?” Dalton asked.

Rainey saw two men run from the gas station, and quickly capped her gas tank, then placed the nozzle back in place, and leaned her back against her car.

“Rainey!” Dalton hollered.

Rainey muted his end of the call, then placed her phone into her pocket, just as the two men came into view.

“Remember the play in High School?” She asked, knowing he could still hear her.

“Hey, you!” One of the men hollered.

Rainey continued to look straight ahead.

“Are you def?” The man asked as he walked up to her.

“No.” She said, without moving her head. “I didn’t know you were talking to me.”

“Come on man, lets go.” The other guy said, as he took hold of his partner’s arm.

“She saw us…” The first man said.

“She can’t see shit, can’t you tell she’s blind, now come on.”

The first guy waved his hand in Rainey’s face, and she didn’t even blink.

“If you’re blind, how the hell did you drive here?”

“I’m waiting for my boyfriend. He’s in the bathroom.”

The man looked towards the gas station’s restroom.

“Did you hear anything strange around here?” He asked, as he looked back at her blank stare.

“Like what?” She asked, totally innocently.

“Like nothing.” The man’s partner said. “Let’s go!”

The first man waved his hand in her face again, then let his partner pull him away.

Rainey turned her head, and caught the license plate number, just as they pulled away. When the car was gone, she ran to the gas station, and found the clerk on the floor, a bullet hole in his shoulder.

“Shit.” She cursed, then moved behind the counter, to make sure the kid was still alive.

She pulled her phone from her pocket, and unmuted Dalton.

“Rainey, are you okay?” He asked, for probably the hundredth time.

“I’m fine.” She said. “But I need to hang up and call 911, the kid was shot.”

“What kid?”

“The clerk. He looks about eighteen, maybe.”

“Damn, that’s a bit young to be working in a place like that.” Dalton said.

Rainey agreed, but it’s not her problem, the kid needs an ambulance. “I will call you right back, I promise.”

“I love you!” Dalton shouted.

She smiled. “I love you too, talk to you in ten.”

She hung up and called 911, she told the woman what had happened, and when she was finished, she called Dalton back.

“Damn babe, I’ve never been so scared in my life.”

“Me too.” She whispered.

“Great idea to pretend to be blind.” He said, with a halfhearted laugh.

Rainey stayed with the kid until the ambulance got there, then told the police what she’d seen and heard, and even gave them the license plate number to the punks. Once they were finished with her, she was back on the road, headed once again, for Portland, Oregon.


****


Dalton had almost had a heart attack, when he’d heard the gun shot on Rainey’s end of the phone. She’d handled herself wonderfully, and he was so proud of her.

Three hours later, they’re still traveling towards each other, and chatting on the phone. As he pulls into a gas station, to fill up again, a man approached him.

“Hey man, you think I could get a ride to Portland?”

Dalton looked at the stranger. He looked pretty harmless, and even if he wasn’t, Dalton has a gun in his glove box.

“Sure.” He said.

Why the hell is he agreeing to give this man a ride? He smelled like weed, and a scent he couldn’t name. And he dressed like a…holy shit…he’s an honest to God, hippy.

“Great man.” The hippy said as he opened the back door and threw his bag onto the seat, then got into the passenger seat.

“Dalton?”

Dalton could hear Rainey’s voice from his phone, inside the car.

“What’s going on?”

“Shit.” Dalton whispered as he finished filling his gas tank.

“Hey there, Butterfly.” Dalton heard the hippy say.

“Damn it.” Dalton said as he capped his gas tank.

“Who are you?” Rainey asked.

“I’m this dude’s new best friend.” The hippy said.

“Dalton!”

Dalton got into his car and looked at the hippy.

“Girlfriend?” The hippy asked with a smile, as he handed Dalton his phone.

“Yeah.” Dalton said as he took the phone. “Hey babe. Sorry about that…”

“Who is he?” She asked.

“Someone I’m giving a ride to…”

“A hitchhiker?” She asked with a squeal.

“Yeah…”

“You better still have that…”

“I do.” He said, interrupting her.

She sighed. “So, what’s his name?”

“The name is Stanley, Butterfly.” The hippy said.

“My name is Rainey, not Butterfly.”

The hippy grinned. “I like your name, Rainey.”

“Thank you.” She whispered.

Dalton pulled back onto the highway, and headed for Portland, once again.

“What is it with gas stations today?” Rainey asked with a sigh.

Dalton chuckled. “At least mine doesn’t have a gun.”

“Oh, you mean like this?” Stanley asked, as he pulled a gun from his waist band.

Dalton swerved and Stanley laughed.

“Don’t worry man, it’s not for you.” Stanley said, then replaced the gun in his waist band.

“Dalton, what happened?” Rainey asked, her voice quivering.

“Nothing, babe.” Dalton whispered.

“I just showed your boyfriend here, my gun.” Stanley said.

Rainey squealed.

“It’s okay babe, I’m fine.”

Dalton told Stanley what had recently happened to Rainey, and Stanley shook his head.

“So, why are you two meeting up in Portland?”

Dalton and Rainey told him their story. Except, Dalton left out the part, where he’d almost cheated on Rainey with Vivian. God, he’s such an idiot.

The hours went by fast, and soon they were in Portland, Oregon.

“You can drop me off at the next gas station.” Stanley said.

Stanley said his goodbyes to them both, then was gone.

Dalton got back on the road, and headed to the hotel, where Rainey was waiting for him. He found her in their room and stared at her as she stood from the bed.

“God Rainey.” He said as his eyes moved over her body. She’s even hotter now, then she was when they were in High School.

“I know.” She said with a smile. “I’ve filled out.”

“Come here.” He said as he held his arms open to her.

She ran into his arms and they kissed.

“I’ve missed you so much.” He said against her mouth.

“Me too.” She said with a cry. “I don’t want to be apart, anymore.”

He growled. “Me either.”

“How can we do this?” She asked as she looked up at him.

“I can exchange to your school.” He said as he looked into her beautiful brown eyes.

She shook her head. “I won’t let you give up on your dream.”

He shook his head. “What about your dream?”

“My biggest dream is to be with you, always.” She whispered.

“Ah Rainey. We’ve been so stupid.” He said, as he began kissing her all over her face.

She giggled. “You mean, I’ve been stupid.”

He shook his head. “I could have come to see you, just as easily.”

“So, what now?” She asked.

“First. I have something to tell you.”

Her heart skipped a beat. She didn’t like that.

He told her about Vivian, and she stood there staring at him.

“Please believe me, all I thought about was you…”

“You didn’t have sex with her?” She asked.

He shook his head.

“She kissed you, and you thought of me?”

He nodded.

She smiled as she wrapped her arms around him.

“You’re not angry?” He asked as he held onto her.

She shrugged. “You were given a beautiful naked woman, and you thought of me, then demanded to see me. How could I be angry with that?”

He sighed with relief. “Marry me.”

She pulled back and stared up at him. “What was that?”

“Marry me Rainey. I don’t care what school we go to, as long as you’re with me.”

She grinned. “Yes.”

He kissed her hard and demandingly, then they made love the rest of the day, and into the night. The next morning, they had breakfast, then went back to their room, and made love again.

“We’ll go to your school.” She said as they laid in bed together.

“I can change…”

“No.” She said as she shook her head. “I can take the classes I need at your school. But your chances for being drafted onto your dream team, is less, if you leave the University of Washington.”

“Seattle Seahawks, will survive without me.” He assured her.

“But can you survive, without them?” She asked, as she looked up at him.

He looked down at her with a grin. “I can survive anything, if I have you at my side.”


****



Rainey transferred to the University of Washington, and Dalton found a new place for them to live.

After college, they got married, and Dalton was drafted onto his dream team. Rainey became a doctor, and often reset her husband’s bones. They had three kids and were happier than they had ever thought they would be.


They were still living their dreams, and taking a road trip, every chance they got.



September 11, 2019 03:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.