0 comments

General

He'd got into his parked car, slammed the door shut, let out an exhausted sigh and put the key into keyhole when he heard a shift in the leather of the backseat and felt the prick of a needle in his neck.

"How's the girlfriend doing?" A honeyed voice mocked in his ear.

He froze.

He knew that voice anywhere.

"What do you want, Scarlet?"

"The same thing I've been asking for for a month now."

He let out an annoyed growl, "I told you I can't do that."

"I've searched for other ways to meet your...demands but that's the only way. I want that diamond, Zannon. Or else..."

He felt the needle dig in a little deeper.

***

"Is it still theft if I give them a heads up?"

Gina threw the twenty four carat diamond ring into the air and caught it, again.

"If you want the cops called in on us."

"Damn."

The couple had broken into a jewellery warehouse and were deciding on their wanted piece. They couldn't take it all; only the reasonably priced ones.

And that wasn't much.

He let the woman who knew her jewels pick what they stole.

Gina met Zannon a few years back, on a blind date. She was a beauty with golden hair, green eyes and the cutest dimples. Tanned skin, and the right weight for her respectable five foot height. Over the years, she'd pulled his ears till he got that fact. Zannon, on the other hand was a lean, broad shouldered, dashing young man with neat, black hair and grey eyes. He was at least three heads taller than his date and they'd laughed at that fact. While Zannon had swiped her ruby necklace, she had stolen his wallet. They arranged a second date and returned the stolen items with a load of lies. They respected good liars and found in the other, things they had in common. They both loved kiwi smoothies, star fruit, long walks and the smell of fresh cash that was straight out of the bank. They both wanted the lavish style of life and Gina had just the solution when she expressed her love of jewels and gems. Since they didn't have the legal means of starting such a business, they resorted to the next best method: you got it right, stealing. After a few more dates, they just knew that they belonged to each other. Not romantically, but as business partners.

They'd started their business of stealing and selling imitation jewelries and thrived in it. They took photos of the ones they couldn't steal and they kept the originals of the ones they did steal, made copies of it, down to the tiniest details only with cheaper gems and sold the copies. You would be surprised at how many people wore imitations.

Though they kept their identities secret, they made money and that was what mattered. Gina wanted a better life for herself and her seven sisters and Zannon wanted a better life for himself.

They waltzed around the dark, wide room like they owned it. The rays of their flashlights fell on the glass encased prices of jewelry and the seven colours of the rainbow scattered around the room. Gina pointed her flashlight at a beautiful, emerald necklace with gold chains. It was breathtaking and the intricate designs on it made it captivating. It was simple but stunning.

"What about this one?"

Zannon came to a stop beside her.

"No."

Gina pouted, "Why not?"

Zannon pointed his flashlight at the price tag, "Designer."

"Oh."

Zannon walked off. All the alluring jewels that surrounded him weren't what he wanted. No, needed.

He wanted them, sure. But, he needed a particular one. He stalked around the warehouse and came to halt. Awestruck, he let his flashlight fall on the beauty. It was a necklace, made of the most tiniest diamonds he'd ever seen. It was a twenty carat diamond necklace, laced in a way that seemed to create a timeless pattern with an 18k white----

"Woah!"

Zannon smirked, "I know."

Gina's eyes went wide, "We can't possibly be taking that."

Zannon frowned, "Why not?"

She flashed the price tag, "Expensive. Very expensive. Too expensive."

Too ridiculously expensive to risk their freedom for.

"I know."

Gina crossed her arms, "I know that look."

Zannon rolled his eyes, "What ever are you talking about."

Suddenly, she grinned, "I thought you didn't care about all these stuffs. I thought you only wanted the money."

"I do. But, I was thinking about getting my girl something special, you know?"

Gina gave him a sly look, "You make me almost wish that I'm that girl."

He scoffed, "You only want me for my gems and money."

Gins giggled, "I only want the gems."

Zannon looked upwards and humour over took his face.He wasn't going to compromise his peaceful lifestyle for Scarlet. He'll deal with her some other way. He really should have dated her a lot longer before he told her his secret.

"Let's get our photos and pieces."

The two took photos and the pieces they wanted without tipping off any of the alarms. Time in jail had served them both well.

Zannon shifted his weight from one leg to the other. Hesitantly, he knocked on the door again, softly. He let out a breath and glanced around the street before lights came on and he heard the shuffling of feet. Footsteps he'd become all to familiar with approached the door.

"Who is it?"

"It's me."

Immediately, the bolt came undone and the door swung open to reveal the light of his life. She was an entrancing dark skinned beauty with ebony locks and the prettiest brown eyes.

"Zannon!"

She flew into his arms and wrapped hers around his neck. Pulling back, sleep had left her features and was replaced by a dazzling smile which he mirrored.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure."

Zannon walked in and went directly to the couch.

"Would you like anything?"

"No, no. I'm fine."

Concern clouded Sasha's features, and she settled beside her boyfriend on the couch. "Zannon, what's the problem? I know something's wrong."

Zannon grinned, "I just missed you."

Sha gave the smallest of smiles then it fell of her face, "Other than that."

Grabbing her hands in his, Zannon schooled his face into the most serious Sasha had ever seen. Squeezing her hands gently, he asked, "Remember when you asked me about what I do for a living?"

"Yes. What about that?"

"Well, I might have gotten myself into a bit if a situation."

She looked weary albeit worried, "What kind of a situation."

"I'll tell you the truth but you have to answer me something honestly first."

Sasha nodded.

Zannon searched her eyes and lowered his gaze to the space on the couch between them, debating his decision. Then he looked up and whispered,

"Can you keep a secret?"

August 20, 2020 23:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.