1 comment

General

Being told what was right and what was wrong for his 9 years of life, Jeremy Benett took his stance against the world. The cold, despicable world. He swore to never fall in love. His mother ruined his father's life; why should he let a woman ruin his. He figured it would be simple because throughout life you realise a multitude of things. One of the things he recently discovered was death. It creeps in the corner waiting to take anyone and everyone in the world. It is inevitable. He too would wait for the day that it would take him. That was 6 years ago though. Now he was 15, a respectable young man. He always came up on top. He received a massive amount of praise. He always figured that it was because those that gave it always wanted something from him. Today was just another day but everyday has something unexpected and new. His dread and worries grew as he was called into the principal's office. There was a call waiting for him. On the other end of the line was - his mother. She claimed to be at the hospital. His father was involved in an accident. He hung up the phone, collected his things, and left. Without a single word. This always happened to him though. When it seems everything was going right it takes a turn for the worst. He had finally arrived at the hospital though. Out of breath and sweaty. He entered the building and walked towards the woman who gave him life. After all these years, a very familiar scent lured around her, smoke. She was a drug addict and drove his father into debt. That was the only reason they had divorced. His father worked day and night to ensure that food was on the table. He was bathed, clothed, sheltered, and on time for school. It pained Jeremy to see that now he couldn't even stop the person that caused his father stress, grief, and sheer right agony from the hospital. He walked towards the front desk to find out his father's room number but his father's name didn't appear.

"He's gone." Were the only words he could hear. His mother's voice was empty and cold. He tried to keep the tears from falling but he failed. All the anger that built up in him over the years, gone. After all she was all that he had left. His mother walked out and left him in there. 'Of course she would.' He thought to himself. Six years of not seeing him and this is how she treats her son. He gave up on attempting a bond years ago too. He stayed in the hospital for a while.

Suddenly a girl around his age busted into the hospital. Her voice sounded shaken up. You could tell that she was crying. She told them her name, Violet Smith. Hearing that Jeremy looked up. He recognized her name. She was in his class. She told the doctors that her water had broken. He got up to help her out as more nurses were called. "Sir, You cannot go with her unless you are the father." A nurse told him. He looked into Violets eyes and could tell that the father of the child wasn't going to be coming at all. "I am the father." He said with a strike of confidence. Violet couldn't help but cry a bit.

They went into a hospital room and the doctor arrived ready to deliver the baby. After a few hours of labor, a healthy baby boy was in Violet's arms. She couldn't be any happier. Jeremy was also extremely happy to be able to witness the love a mother could have for a child. A love that his father gave him after his mother stopped. Once again overwhelmed with emotions he let out a soft cry. This time they were tears of joy. He may not have been that boys biological father but he loved him as if he were. Violet appreciated Jeremy being there for her. "Do you really want to be named as his father?" She asked him. "I would love to be called his father." He said with joy. So it was documented as official, Jeremy became the father of a beautiful boy. That boy would soon take the name of Marcus, it happened to be the name of Jeremy's father. Marcus Benett Smith became the light of Jeremy's life. That day he didn't only get just one person in his life but two. Violet decided to give Jeremy a chance. That day changed Jeremy's mind once again. He realized that the storm is followed with the sun. Death isn't all that is given to someone, so is life. It is what you choose to do that defines you as a person. That is a lesson that Jeremy won't forget. Life just kept getting better for Jeremy though; after a few years, him and Violet got married.

December 15, 2019 01:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

16:35 Dec 25, 2019

Perfect ending! I loved the character's change of heart at the end of this and I realized it spoke to me. You deserve it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.