0 comments

Adventure Black Crime

“You mean he was not a student in this institution?” 

“Yes. He was just awarded Doctorate degree for his philanthropies donation to the department.

 “And were you the HOD of exams and record of this institution then?”

“Yes, I was in this position then?”

“These sixteen pictures he is in telling different story to yours Mr. H. O. D.”

“I am surprise why he posed in those manners”.

“what about the man sitting on the chair in those pictures?”

“He was a lecturer in that public administration department then".

“Where will we see the man?”

“I don’t know. Last I heard about him, he was somewhere in France: he retired three years ago”.

House of representative committee on disciple and ethics had for the past one week contacting. The school and most of the students that the speaker of the house claimed he attended. After talking to the HOD of exams and records, they tracked down some of students the man claimed to be their set. What HOD was saying was opposite of what most of the students were saying, it took some students few minutes to remember the name of their departmental HOD.but once Umar Bello was mentioned,all of them recognized him immediately.Even the departmental HOD was saying exactly the same thing students were saying.

Dr. Umar Bello was elected speaker of the house of rep five months ago, and the man was behaving as if the whole country belongs to him. Talking to other members of the house as if he is taking to street unchins. Infact, he had used that word on three occasions to disgrace other members of the house.when they wanted to pressurize the president into bringing more money for dress allowance, he was the one that blocked that move. Infact, there is even unconfirmed rumor that the president is secretly paying him millions to shout down any opposition against him in the house. Yes it is true that most of them receive millions from the presidency to vote Umar Bello into that position in the first place, why they are spending money meant for running of the house to remove the same person from where they put him earlier is what people don’t understand.

The house claimed that Umar Bello did not enter tertiary institution that his education stopped at secondary level. How come that even some educated in the house were showing non-chalant attitude towards the man’s removal. “Don’t they know that Umar Bello is capital insult to education?” what is wrong with them? ‘How can a man that has never seen four walls of university as student be answering doctor?. This is comprehensive insult and assault to education system in this country.

The house committee on discipline and ethics, presented their findings on Umar Bello to the house and their presentation generated another one week of shouting and name calling some concluded that it is not enough to impeach the speaker and others claimed that it created doubt which according to common sense is enough to make him to step aside while the investigation continues.

“your honour, I move motion to enact law to stop any educational award to any businessman that didn’t have any degree from any institution in this country”. Member from sokoto began.

“I second, at least such decree will prevent similar occurance of this squabbles we are witnessing now in future.” member from Lagos. 

“Your honor, let us make sure that enough money is meant for our tertiary institutions to carry out their work for it is lack of money that leads some to be selling degrees to the highest bidders”. Member from ogun.

"Your honor, whether fund is made available to the institution or not, they must be made to stop awarding degrees arbitrarily to anyone”.  

Member from Anambra

"Yes, I have heard your suggestions. But before it will be put to vote, I will like to see hands on air of any of us that have been awarded any degree from any institution here or abroad.” The speaker enquires.

“Don’t you understand what I said?”

60 percent raised their hands up. Including most that were advocating for awards to be scraped. 

“how many of the hands up have returned their awards back to the institutions?” He asked.

None

“good, how many of the hands up, infact, how many of us here submitted their yellow form to Independent National Electoral Commission[INEC] before standing for this election?”

“Yellow form? Your honor, what concerns the yellow form with what we are debating here?". Member from kebbi.

“Do you carry out the psychological test and other health test stated by law in the form and submitted it as required to the INEC?” the speaker asked. “What are you implying?’ this is insult, we cannot sit here swallowing insult from this empty vessel, this man nonsense is getting out of hand, this man must step aside for us to do our constitutional work”. Member from Kebbi 

“Let us hear from the horse’s mouth. Your honor, are you implying that we are not balance in the head?” member from Imo

“I asked question INEC printed boldly in yellow form, and some conscience started running riots. Let me put the question back to you in another way. "Do you think that those that voted you into office missed something?”

“Something like what your honor?”

“We will go for 30 minutes recess, please, let us always remember to follow protocols while here. That is what differentiates us from-----------

 Shouting everywhere.

The speaker Dr. Umar Bello packed his books, murmuring to himself “silent psychos, silent psychos.  Infact, most refused to go anywhere. they gathered in groups in anger. Some according the party affiliation, some according to region. speakings in high pitch on how to reopen the speaker's case for some don’t want to impeach him and remain in the house with him. Some want to see him in prison and the only way that will be possible is to prove that he forged certificates.

When the house was reconvened, they went to work immediately.

“Your honor, we strongly believed that you are in wrong building and wrong chair. You don’t suppose to be here. We have decided to suspend every other thing till your case is followed to an logical end.” –member from Kogi

“If I may ask, who is this “we” you kept mentioning?”

“The whole house”

“We have ways of reaching conclusions here which I believed should be followed since you are in the right building and right chair”.

After putting the motion to vote, they agreed to commence the investigation fully again.

Three weeks later, they traced the lecturer that relocated to France zoomed him in the projector mounted on the wall and was asking him questions:

"Mr. Yaroo, you was lecturer in Ubati University right?"

“Right till three years ago”.

“When you was there, do you recall any of your student who goes by the name Umar Bello?”

“I know one business man by that name but not student”

“Not a student?"

“Yes. He was a major sponsor of the activities in the department, I believed he was planning to enter politics or something”.

“How did he manage to bag doctorate degree from Ubati?”

“HOW?, The finance was very tight. Anyone can sing any song you want to hear, if 15 million is in front of that person”.

“How come the other students then were saying opposite of what you are saying “.

“If you are in their shoes, you will be singing the same song. Bulge manila envelope can turn singulars into plural in our society”.

“How come, Mr. Yaroo, in the pictures, you were the one sitting on a chair while he squatting”.

“He paid to squat. It is now that I knew why. He was blending with other students”.

“you mean he paid you to sit down while the donor squats down?”

“no not me, the department”.

“Department?"

“Exactly”.

“Thanks a lot Mr. Yaroo for your time. We mighty contact again.

“Any day”.

November 20, 2020 14:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.