0 comments

Fantasy

"Hey, can you hear me?"

I blinked groggily. My eyelids were heavy and I wasn't quite sure if my eyes were completely open.

"Please I need you to hear me."

I looked around, my vision still fuzzy, looking for the source of the noise.

"If you can hear me, I need help."

"What?" I yawned.

"Thank the Saints!" The voice rejoiced. "Listen I need your help."

I rubbed my eyes and gasped. Each aspect of this world was vying for my attention. Everything from the vibrant, colorful winds exploding into light to the silver trees that shimmered proudly to the exotic yet tantalizingly familiar smell filled me with a sense of wonder and awe.

"I need your help!"

The voice pulled me from my splendor and I saw a man floating in front of me. He looked like he was slowly fading into the wind.

"Who are you?"

"That doesn't matter right now, I need your help to get home." He said.

"Where are we?"

He gave me a mournful look and shook his head, "We're trapped between realities. The Dreamspace, a place between all worlds."

"How did you get here?"

"The same way as you." He smiled, "I haven't seen many other people here, but now that you're here we can escape."

I looked around at this beautiful world, why would I want to leave?

"I don't want to go just yet."

"No, that's this place's trap," he panicked, "It makes you think that you want to stay, but the longer you stay the more you fade from reality."

I looked at him and frowned, "Is that what's happening to you."

He nodded.

I looked at him, really looked at him. He was practically transparent . I wondered how long he had been trapped here. How long would I be trapped here if he disappeared?

"What do we do?" I asked, slightly panicked.

"Take my hand, then try to wake up. I don't have enough energy to wake up on my own, but with your help maybe we both can."

I nodded and took his hands. They felt faint, like a weak pulse. It was true that he didn't have enough energy to wake up by himself, I could feel it.

I closed my eyes and tried to wake up. I tried and tried and tried some more. Something shifted in the world around me. It felt as if I was rising after taking off some kind of heavy veil.

Then something disappeared from my hands. I opened my eyes and screamed. The man was gone, yes, but I had taken his place. I lifted my hands up and wept when I could see through them. I felt extremely tired and so horribly awake at the same time, and as the colorful winds blew, I could feel myself crumble and blow with them. I was going to die here.

I looked around and saw the faint figure of a person.

"Hey, can you hear me?" I called out.

February 24, 2020 16:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.