Dearg-Due

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write the origin story of a notorious villain.... view prompt

4 comments

Horror Mystery Thriller

The Dearg-Due legend began in a small village in Waterford, Ireland when arranged marriages were commonplace.  A red-haired beauty with green eyes resided there with her father. She was in love with a handsome peasant boy from town, and they had made plans to get married. Her father, a greedy man, had other plans.  Her beauty could make him a fortune, and he cared not about his daughter’s feelings. Her conniving father knew of a local chieftain well known for his wealth as well as his brutish ways. The two met one night, and the proposal was struck. When the girl learned what her father had done, she was furious; tradition dictated that she could not defy her father.  He didn’t care about her feelings because this arrangement resulted in an extravagant amount of riches for him.

The chieftain’s reputation was far more vicious than known. To him, she was just an object to be displayed. He would lock her away for days and weeks at a time. Sadly, she felt abandoned from the joys of life and lost all hope. She stopped eating and drinking until, finally, she passed away. The hard-hearted chieftain did not display any sadness and, despite his riches, buried her in an unmarked grave. The only one who grieved her loss was her first love.

The rage in the woman’s spirit was so intense that it forced her out of her grave, looking for vengeance. Her first visit was to her father’s house. She arrived in the dead of night while he slept and quickly killed him. She went to the chieftains next. She discovered him in bed with two other women! Seeing he was not sorrowful or grieving made her eyes turn fiery red.  She leaped on him, ripping at his neck with her sharp fangs. As the blood gurgled up from his throat, she commenced to suck every last drop of blood from his body. The evil man’s blood seemed to invigorate her, making her feel alive again. That is when she became known as Dearg-Due/ Red Blood Sucker! The hunger for blood grew and grew until it became ravenous. She would lure unsuspecting young men with a promise of love only to feast on them under the darkness of night. Suddenly, all the murders stopped, and she seemed to have disappeared. No one knew where she went or what became of her. Perhaps she is still out there, waiting.

                                                                 …


                                                 Modern-day Waterford.

Kate Dunn lives in a tidy little apartment on Bilberry Road in Waterford. Kate isn’t an Irish beauty but rather a handsome-looking woman just the same. She is forty-three years of age and an accountant for the Holy Family Catholic Church on Luke Wadding Street. She is a sweet, gentle woman who is liked by all. Kate is in love with a strapping man six years her junior by the name of Jack Kenny. Jack works in construction and is very muscular, with jet-black hair contrasting nicely with ice-blue eyes. When he flashes his dimpled smile at the girls, they all swoon. Jack is quite the lady’s man but tells Kate she’s the only one who holds his heart. He’s quite the charmer with a silver tongue that drips of honey. Some say he could woo the queen off her throne if he had a mind to. All of this is also a handicap for poor Kate. She overlooks his infidelities and blames them on the women instead. She thinks, “ All they want to do is steal him away. They are jealous that he loves me, and that’s the truth.” At least, that’s what Jack would have her believe.

It’s Wednesday and Kate is in her room preparing for an afternoon meeting with the church council to review next year’s budget. Glancing at the mirror, she notices a few grey hairs starting to show on her temples. On closer inspection, she also sees the first faint lines of “crow’s feet” in the corners of her eyes. “Oh, well,” Kate sighs to herself. “I’m no young coleen any more.”  She hears Jack in the kitchen turning the pages of the afternoon newspaper.

“Jack! If you get hungry when I’m gone, some cold chicken is in the fridge. Make yourself a sandwich.”

“Sounds grand, Kate. I might just do that. How long do you think this meeting will last anyway?” Kate steps into the bedroom doorway and leans against the jam. She glances to one side while putting in her earrings. “I would guess the better part of two hours, if not more. It’s a big meeting, Jack. There are a lot of items to address.” Jack scowls. “Oh, Jack,” Kate coos. “Please don’t be angry with me?”  Jack flashes his grin. “Now, Kate.  How could I ever be angry with you?”  Getting up from his chair, he wraps his strong arms around Kate’s slender body and squeezes. Kate playfully pushes him away, “Oh! You stop that right now, Mr. Kenny! I can’t show up at church all mussed up and looking a sight now can I.” They both laugh as Kate gives Jack a peck goodbye.

                                                                 …

Mrs. O’Brien, a council member, suddenly pops up out of her seat, all wide-eyed and flushed. “I’m so sorry, everyone. I’m such a dummy! My husband is coming in on the 4:15 train from a business meeting, and I’m supposed to be there to pick him up!” Father Pat smiles while wiping his glass with his hanky. “That’s quite alright, Betty. We’ve all been there, hey? We’ve made good progress so far, so if it’s alright with everyone else, why don’t we meet again next Wednesday and wrap it up.” All agree as Kate smiles to herself. “Won’t Jack be surprised!”

                                                               …

Navigating the young lady to the living room couch took half an hour. Now that they are there, Jack starts to nuzzle her neck. The young lady protests only slightly before giving in to Jack’s advances.

                                                            …

Kate thanks Mr. Flynn for the ride home and retrieves her apartment key from her purse when the downstairs neighbor’s window slides open.

“Hello there, Kate! And how are you on this fine afternoon?”

“I’m well, Mrs Laughlin. And how about yourself?”

“Oh, I’m good, thanks.” Leaning a little further toward Kate, she adds, “Kate, I was wondering if I might ask you a favor. I have a doctor’s appointment next Monday and was wondering if you could stay with my cat. She gets so nervous alone.  I know she is very fond of you.  I’d appreciate it so.”

“I’d love to, Mrs. Laughlin. I’ll bring plenty of treats, too.” After entering the house, Kate feels joyful as she mounts the stairs. She turns the key in the lock and is about to shout that she is home when she hears voices. Kate knits her eyebrows and freezes in place. Holding her breath, she stands still and listens. They are not voices talking but more like moaning sounds. The apartment is arranged so you enter the kitchen first, which leads to the living room. Off the living room is the single bedroom.

Kate quietly slips into the apartment and notices a bottle of wine and two glasses on the table. Her pulse quickens as she fears her suspicions are correct. Her breathing speeds up as Kate quietly places her purse on the table.  She spies the meat tenderizer on the counter and snatches it up. 

Kate approaches the living room doorway at an angle that keeps her from being seen. Biting her lower lip and swallowing hard, she peeks around the door jam and sees Jack on top of a woman.  Kate’s blood pressure spikes, and her fists clench. Howling in rage, she rushes in and begins to beats Jack’s back with the meat tenderizer.

Jack yowls in pain and flies up, exposing the young lady. Gasping, Kate drops the hammer and staggers backward in disbelief. She covers her mouth as she sobs, “Maggie?”  Maggie is Kate’s younger sister.  All hell breaks loose as Kate, her eyes flooding with tears, drags Maggie by her hair from the living room to the kitchen. “You bitch!” Kate screams, tearing loose long strands of Maggie’s locks. “You filthy little bitch! How could you? I’m your sister!”   Jack grabs her firmly by the shoulder and pulls her away, only to have Kate spin around and punch him hard in the face. “You, you rotten no good bastard! Get out of my house! Now!”  Jack’s eyes change dangerously from blue to dark grey.

Grabbing Kate by both wrists, he slaps her hard across the face. Kate’s knees buckle. Maggie flees sobbing through the front door, barely clothed. 

Face red and jaws clenched, Jack pushes Kate into the bedroom and shoves her face into her makeup mirror. “Look!” Jack hisses through clenched teeth. “Do you think I could love this? Look at yourself! A middle-aged plain Jane?” Kate glances through tears.  Her right cheek is swelling, and her eye is beginning to close.  “I was using you to cook for me. To provide me with your bed and clean my clothes. You’ve been nothing more than a housekeeper to me, Kate, and now I’m leaving. Don’t you for one minute think I’ll ever be back!”

GET OUT!” Kate screechs. Her head is reeling, and she feels as if it might explode. “Get out, or-or I’ll kill you!” Jack throws back his head and laughs. “Go ahead, I’d like to see you try!” Still chucking, he saunters out of the apartment and slams the door behind him.

Kate collapses to the floor, sobbing bitterly. “You laugh now, Jack Kenny, but you’re already a dead man.”

         …

           Jack heads down to the riverside to his favorite bar, Pat Joe Murphy’s. As soon as Jack enters, Kelleher, the bartender, can see Jack is in a foul mood. He moves his blackjack to the center of the bar, where he can reach it quickly if need be.  “We won’t be having any trouble tonight, will we, Jack?”  Jack stares hard at the bartender before growling, “Give me a pint of bitters.”  He walks down to the far end of the bar to be alone.

                                                                       …

           Kate pushes herself off the bedroom floor, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.  She sits at her makeup table.  Kate sees what a horrible sight she truly is. Her right cheek is swollen and is an angry shade of purple. Her right eye is little more than a slit. Touching her cheek, she winces and thinks perhaps her cheekbone might be fractured. Kate gently wipes her face with a moist towelette. “Why? Why did I ignore all those other times he cheated on me? Look what I did by denying the truth. My sister will forever remain a stranger to me. All because I was captivated by having such a handsome boyfriend.” A tear slips down her cheek, “I’ve been such a fool!” 

Kate enters the kitchen and takes a bag of frozen peas from the freezer. She sits at the kitchen table and gingerly applies the bag to her face. “I swore I’d kill him, and I wish I could. He’s such an evil man, he truly is.”  A thought flashes through her head. It is like someone whispering to you, but you can’t make out what it is. Kate knits her eyebrows together, trying to decipher what it might be. Suddenly, all is clear.  “Oh, God! I haven’t thought of that in years.”

           When she and her sister were little their great-grandmother told them a tale of the vampire of Ireland. It was about a poor lass who was mistreated so badly that she died. Her spirit came back and killed the evil man who caused her pain by drinking his blood. The evil in his blood gave her strength, and she went on to kill others. Later, Kate heard a rumor that you could draw a pentagram, place a candle on all its points, then sit in the middle and call her name. She would return from her grave to do your bidding.

      Kate presses her fingers to her temple and shakes her head. “What am I thinking? This is just an old folk tale. But yet, why did I think of it now? Is it because I called Jack an evil man, and an evil man killed her? Is she calling out to me?”

           Kate gets out her sewing kit to use the piece of chalk she has stored there. She then rolls back the braided rug in the kitchen and draws a pentagram on the floor.  She opens a drawer that contains candles and places them in the middle. “What on earth am I doing? It is mad to think it will work. I’m going to take a shower and go to bed.” But all through her shower, the idea won’t leave her. Kate wraps a towel around herself and reenters the kitchen. She lights the candles on the points one by one. Shutting off the kitchen lights, Kate removes her towel, steps into the pentagram’s center, and kneels. Kate is about to summon the vampire when she realizes she doesn’t remember its name. Knitting her eyebrows tightly together, she attempts to recall the name her grandmother had spoken. As in a dream, Kate hears an unearthly voice whisper, Dearg-Due.

                                                                            …

           Kelleher is poking Jack with his blackjack, who is passed out with his head resting on his arms. “Come on, Jack! It’s time to go. I’m closing up for the night.” Jack moans and mutters for Kelleher to go away. Grumbling to himself, Kelleher fills a glass with water and pours it over Jack’s head. Jack gasps and sputters. “What the Hell? Are you trying to drown me?” Kelleher points toward the door with his blackjack. “Out! It’s closing time.” Jack wipes the water off his face with one big, massive hand.  “You don’t understand, Kelleher. I’ve nowhere to go! Kate threw me out.”  Kelleher grabs Jack by the arm and guides Jack toward the door. “And I suppose with good reason, no doubt. All I know is you can’t stay here! Good night, Jack.”   Jack hears the door slam and lock behind him. “You’re a mean old man, Kelleher! A mean old…”

           Jack looks around himself and shivers. It’s cold down by the river and dark, too. He’s mumbling nonsense while hoping for a bus stop stall he can crawl into for the night. As Jack passes a dark alley, he hears a soft voice as sweet as a dove call his name.

           “Jack Kenny, is that you? Jack comes to a halt and stands, swaying in place. He pushes his wet hair back. One eyebrow cocked as he strains to see. “And who might be calling me name at this hour of the night?” The voice has turned seductive, “I’m the one who has loved you from afar. I’ve always wanted to feel your strong arms wrapped around me. To taste your sweet, tender lips and lay with you passionately.” Jack staggers a few steps forward, “Is that a fact? Then why don’t you come out here where I can get a look at you?”   Eyes wide with horror, Jack finds himself staring into the empty eye-sockets of the Dearg-Due. Its fiery red hair is whipping wildly, its scream roaring like a northern sea gale, its mouth agape and full of rotten teeth. Jack is utterly frozen in fear! His jet-black hair turns snow-white in an instant! At the touch of the Dearg-Due’s fangs, Jack loses all consciousness.

                                                                              …

           As Kate is on her way to the market the next day, she is drawn to a presence down a dark alley. She sees a young lady with red, fiery hair and green eyes smiling at her. The stranger mouths the words “Thank you” while wiping a drop of blood from the corner of her ruby lips. A shiver courses through Kate’s body from head to toe as she watches the specter vanish into thin air.

August 15, 2024 06:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ralph Aldrich
13:23 Aug 20, 2024

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:09 Aug 20, 2024

Bloody good! Really well told. Need more of this sort of thing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ralph Aldrich
05:03 Aug 17, 2024

Actual Irish folk tale!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
17:35 Aug 15, 2024

Spooky vampire story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.