Forbidden Fruit.

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

15 comments

General

Her tongue flicked around the top of her fruit popsicle. The red of the lolly was a faded pale compared to the bright red of her sticky lips. It was so hot, she was so hot. She lay on the bed, the windows wide open yet offering no relief. She lifted the popsicle up to her mouth and made long, slow sucks, as quick as she was eating it, the heat was melting it. The sticky juice ran down her wrist, she licked the wet syrup off her fingers one by one. The rest of the popsicle decided at that time it could no longer hold onto the stick and it dropped straight onto her chest and melted down the center of her cleavage leaving a sticky trail between her breasts that traced down to her navel.

Judith couldn’t sit still, it was washing over her again, she could think of nothing else. The heat didn’t help, she always got this way when she was hot and now it was worse than ever. She sat on the floor in front of the fan, the breeze gently skimmed under her silk skirt. She lay back and ran her fingers through her dark curls. Again it tortured her, the thoughts coming thick and fast. Her ringing phone brought her back to reality, she grabbed the handset quickly “Hello” she spoke softly and sensuously. “Yes, I can, I`ll be there.” she put the phone down and smiled broadly.

It took her just ten minutes to shower, change and leave the house. She spritzed her expensive perfume in the air and walked into it allowing the cloud of the delicious fragrance to envelope her.

As she stepped into the late afternoon sun, the heat sucked at her lungs like she was breathing in molten lava. The heat haze shimmered in waves on the ground like a snake slithering stealthily towards the shade.

Judith walked quickly, checking behind her every few steps as though she was on an important secret mission. Her breathing quick and deep, partly from the physical exertion but partly from the nervous tension that was building up. Heat pumped through her veins and wrapped around her body, from her neatly manicured toes, swirling up her thighs and making her cheeks flush.

She passed less and less people, it was always quiet at this time near the woods, she often went to clear her mind after a stressful day, but not this time. This time she was there to taste the forbidden fruit, to hold close what had been promised for so long.

Judith smiled to herself and felt an involuntary shiver of pleasure, if this was wrong, why did it feel so good? Excitement fizzed inside her giving her an outward glow and a spring in her step. She walked down the narrow lane, the houses becoming further apart, stepping into the shadows cast by the gnarled oak trees lining her path. Judith stopped for a second as the grey squirrel bounced in front of her pathway. It was beautiful here but today her mind had no room to focus on it.

Further down the lane becomes more rural; the snapping of twigs beneath her feet punctuated the quiet serenity like the crunch of a delicious meal. The trees cast a patchwork of patterned shade on the ground which brought a temporary relief from the burning sun. The earthy fragrance of leaves and soil permeate the air and Judith deeply breaths in the scent.

Anticipation was at fever pitch, she licked her lips savoring the glossy texture of her bright red lipstick. Red for desire, red for seduction. Her moment was approaching fast, she quickened her pace and sighed deeply with longing, she was almost there.

Deeper into the woods and the paths were more overgrown, she was usually careful where she tread in case she brushed against nettles and brambles. Today she didn’t care; the pain could not dampen her pleasure.

A gentle breeze brushed her face, her eyes closed for a second to savor its touch, all her senses were heightened, stimulated by her elicit thoughts. She had waited so long for this; she wanted it so badly it overwhelmed her. It was her first waking thoughts and what kept her tossing and turning in a perspiration soaked frustration at night. Finally she was going to feel the ecstasy that she craved, like an addict craved a fix.

The sounds of the birds chirping from the trees and bushes all along the pathway was like a symphony, a melody synchronising with the euphoria that was building inside her. It was almost like her body could dance to their sweet tune.

Pushing a leafy branch aside she stepped into the small clearing and blinked into the sunlight. She saw him instantly. He was there, leaning against the tree, his blond hair catching the last rays of the sun. He smiled at her and she knew that she wanted him more than she had ever wanted anything in her life. Her face flushed with pleasure as she kicked off her shoes and ran into his arms. She hugged him tightly and wondered how she was ever going to let go again. He pushed his body tight against hers and his mouth found the nape of her neck, the roughness of his stubble against her smooth skin caused a gasp of involuntary pleasure to escape. The sound excited him, causing him to kiss and suck her neck harder. Her body felt fragile, weak and she tingled all over. She drew her face to his and looked into his eyes. They were dark with passion and arousal, she couldn’t wait much longer.

Her mouth met his; she devoured the taste of him, drinking from his poisonous stream. She knew that once she had crossed this line there was no turning back, she was entangled in Satan’s secret snare.

Nothing mattered, no guilt felt she, no doubts, the taste of him was all she craved, her best friend`s husband.



August 03, 2020 21:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Keerththan 😀
06:52 Aug 14, 2020

Wonderful twist. Well written. Great job, Marsha. Would you mind reading my story “The secret of power?”

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jane Andrews
12:56 Aug 13, 2020

You did a really good job of keeping the tension going here, Marsha. As your character walks into the wood and meets the unnamed stranger, I found myself wondering if the twist would be that he was a vampire - or that she was. (I let myself be led astray by the blood red popsicle and the sensuous imagery of them tasting and devouring each other!) Your twist was nicely done as I hadn't seen it coming. One little grammar point - "She passed less and less people" should read "She passed fewer and fewer people". Once again, well done on an int...

Reply

Marsha Webb
14:11 Aug 13, 2020

Many thanks for your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aditya Pillai
04:25 Aug 11, 2020

Wow. Did NOT expect that. Awesome twist! That was something else (in a good way!). Short but great. Would love to hear your thoughts on my latest!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hel Knightly
00:32 Aug 09, 2020

That was one titillating intro. I admire your provocative approach and the ability to end on a slightly darker note.

Reply

Marsha Webb
11:06 Aug 09, 2020

Thank you that was exactly what I was going for 😊

Reply

Hel Knightly
21:00 Aug 09, 2020

You are very welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Esa Manley
14:21 Aug 04, 2020

"breathing in molten laver." Lava? Laver is edible seaweed.

Reply

Show 0 replies

WOW! I was not expecting that ending. I loved reading this story it was very bright and fun. The twist was awesome.

Reply

Marsha Webb
10:13 Aug 04, 2020

Thanks for the feedback, I tried so hard not to make it obvious what was happening.

Reply

Well it worked it in the long run. I didn’t expect so you did awesome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:40 Aug 03, 2020

Wow, nice work! This had amazing writing and I loved how the story was simple yet terrific. Also, side note: yep, you have a red popsicle, too! For some reason, EVERY STORY on this prompt I’ve read has red popsicles. I don’t know why I’m saying this was I just think it's funny. Anyways, great job, Marsha! ~Aerin! (P. S. Would you mind checking out my story ‘Tales of Walmart’? THANK YOUUU!)

Reply

Marsha Webb
10:11 Aug 04, 2020

Thanks, I read your story and gave you feedback. That prompt was so difficult you did really well.

Reply

12:20 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
01:03 Aug 04, 2020

HAHAHAAAAA NOT MEEEEE Would you check out my story on this prompt, Aerin? If you're wondering, the popsicle is lemon-lime.... :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.