The Journey To You

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: End your story with someone saying “I do.”... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Friendship Romance

Author’s Note:


You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough – Mae West


I dedicate this story to my future dogs, whom I will love for all eternity. Dray’s and Bronwyn’s love was something, but ours will be bigger. Thank you.


⚬ ⚬ ⚬


I waited in my room, my knuckles white and my breathing shallow. Through the window, I could see lines of soldiers patrolling the streets below. Was this really necessary? Couldn’t I stop this? Did lives have to be sacrificed for some senseless conflict? Why did I have to live in the West?


I slowly walked out of the room. The silence was deafening. “Daisy! Daisy!” I called out.


She must have escaped while I was asleep. They might have shot her. There was nothing left in their wake. I looked at the pictures on the wall—each one a memory of Daisy, my only family. A teardrop rolled down my cheek and soon turned into a sob. This was my life now: hopeless and miserable. I couldn’t fix this. For now, I needed to focus on my project. I wiped away my tears.


I sat at my table and opened my laptop. The screen was blinding. I checked my email. There, waiting in my inbox, was a message from Eliza. Eliza was my stepsister, and I hadn’t talked to her in years. I was surprised she even remembered my email. I clicked on the mail.


It read:


Dear Bronwyn,

I know it’s been a long time since we talked, and I’m so sorry I haven’t reached out. The last few years have been incredibly busy taking care of Emma and Tate. They’re turning four next month, and they would love to meet you! I’m attaching their photos to this email. Whenever I look at them, they remind me of you—beautiful, stunning, with a youthful charm.


I also have some exciting news: I’m getting married! I met Brian, a wonderful man, after having Emma and Tate. He proposed eight months ago, and we’re getting married soon.

Please keep this private. If anyone finds out, it could lead to trouble. Especially since Brian is a Boue. You know how sensitive the situation is in the West. Luckily, we’re safe here in the East.


I know I’ve made mistakes, but I hope to make it up to you. Everyone here is eager to meet you. I’ve told them many stories about you, and they’re excited. Please come to the wedding in a week. I’ve also sent train tickets to your mailbox.


Here’s the address to the hotel:

7006 Newbridge Road

Waterbury, Eastern Estate 81001


I read the email repeatedly, trying to process it. Eliza was marrying a Boue? That was insane. If she lived here in the West, she and Brian would be executed. But she didn’t; I did. My life was chaotic. I didn’t have time for a wedding—especially not hers, not after everything she’d done.


Just then, my phone rang. I answered to hear Autumn’s voice.

Autumn: “I know you’ve been working hard lately, so I’m giving you the next three weeks off. Honestly, I can’t thank you enough for your efforts!”


Me: “No, please don’t. I don’t need the break.”


Autumn: “No arguments. It’s already registered. You need to take it. Enjoy it, and don’t you dare work during this time.”


Me: “I really—”


I took a deep breath. I went to my mailbox and found an envelope with a train ticket. It must have arrived weeks ago. Now, I had no excuse not to go to the wedding. I could fabricate a story, but Eliza would see through it. I went back inside, looked at the email again, and opened the attached photos. Emma and Tate looked just like me.


Despite Eliza’s past mistakes, she was my stepsister. She’d made an effort to reach out and even sent tickets and a hotel reservation. Maybe she was sincere. I decided to trust her and go to the wedding.


⚬ ⚬ ⚬


At the train station, soldiers were everywhere, their presence making me uneasy. I had to pass through multiple checkpoints, each time providing a reason for my travel. I told them I was picking up a dress from the Black Button Shop, a well-known store in the East. They seemed to accept that.


The train arrived with a whistle. I picked up my bag and stepped on board. The car was mostly empty. A ticket inspector passed by, and I handed him my ticket. He nodded and moved on. I stowed my bag under my seat and looked out the window as the soldiers’ faces disappeared.


I woke up to the conductor’s voice: “STOP 5: FAIRWAY STATION!”

I looked around. The few passengers had left, and a new crowd entered. Among them was a man in his twenties with a big suitcase. When he turned, I saw it was Dray. I stood up and called out, “Dray!”


He grinned and hugged me tightly. “Bronwyn! It’s been years!”


“Yeah, since college!” I hugged him again, overwhelmed with joy.


“What brings you here? I thought you moved to the West.”


“I did. I’m heading to Eliza’s wedding. Can’t believe how quickly time flies!”


“No way! I’m going to her wedding too. I got the invitation weeks ago!”


“That’s great news! We can catch up!”


We spent the next hour talking about our lives. I shared the challenges I faced in the West, and he told me about his life in the East. An old woman walked by and glared at us, pointing and shouting, “A Boue and an Aura! How dare you!”


Dray’s face reddened with anger. He stood up, but I pulled him back. “Don’t let her get to you. It’s not worth it.”


He clenched his fists but eventually sat back down. I took a deep breath, trying to calm the situation. Exhaustion hit me, and I closed my eyes.


⚬ ⚬ ⚬


I woke up to Dray tapping my shoulder. I lifted my head from his shoulder, and he grabbed my hand. We quickly gathered our things and dashed to the doors before they closed.


Laughing, I said, “Let’s get a taxi to the MillerWay Hotel.”


Dray smirked. “That’s quite a name for a hotel!”


We both laughed and walked out of the station. The streets were bustling, and the air smelled of fresh bread and city lights. I was nostalgic for the East. In two more years, I’d return home for good. I wiped away a tear and followed Dray to a taxi.


After a thirty-minute ride, we arrived at the hotel. I checked in and was given one key.


“Just one?” I asked.


“Yes, you’ll be sharing a room,” the receptionist confirmed.


I told Dray, and he smiled. We headed to our room. The realization that we would share a room hit me. Eliza wasn’t known for being generous with room arrangements. I glanced at Dray, and our eyes met for a brief moment. My heart fluttered. I understood why Eliza made this arrangement.



⚬ ⚬ ⚬


I wore a navy, strapless dress adorned with floral designs. It was initially awkward to change with Dray in the room, but he stepped outside to give me privacy. I appreciated his thoughtfulness. Eliza had always said I had terrible taste in men, but Dray seemed to prove otherwise.


The wedding was beautiful. I reconnected with Eliza, who apologized for the past. I wasn’t ready to forgive her fully, but meeting Emma and Tate was heartwarming. They were just like me, and Brian was a wonderful man. All the Boue I’ve met have been wonderful. Maybe the Aura were the ones with issues. I grinned at that.


The next night, there was a party at the hotel for the guests. Dray and I chose to relax on the balcony overlooking the garden. As everyone else partied, we enjoyed the stars with a glass of champagne. Our hands touched as we reached for the same glass.

Dray’s gaze was different, filled with unspoken emotions. I reflected on my life—betrayal, fear, and the only constant being Dray, who had always been there for me. His support had been a lifetime.


In those moments, everything seemed to come together. All those mistakes were forgiven, lies untold, and now nothing could go wrong.


As we walked back into the hotel, the sounds of the party resumed around us. The flickering lights and the laughter of the guests seemed to fade into the background, leaving only the warmth of our shared moments.


Dray stopped and turned to face me, his expression filled with a mixture of hope and determination. “Bronwyn,” he said softly, taking my hands in his, “I’ve been thinking a lot about us and everything we’ve been through. I feel like this is the beginning of something incredible.”


I looked into his eyes, feeling a deep connection and understanding. The chaos of our separate worlds seemed to dissolve in his gaze.


“I know we’ve had our struggles,” I began, “but with you, everything feels right. You’ve always been there for me, and I can’t imagine facing the future without you.”


Dray’s voice was steady as he spoke, “I’ve been waiting for the right moment to ask you something. I want to make a commitment, not just for tonight.”


He dropped to one knee and pulled out a small, velvet box. With a trembling hand, he opened it to reveal a simple, elegant ring. My breath caught in my throat.


“Bronwyn,” he said, “will you marry me?”


Tears streamed down my face as I looked at the ring, then back at Dray. The weight of the past and the promise of the future dissolved.


“Yes,” I whispered, my voice breaking with emotion. “Yes, I will.”


He slipped the ring onto my finger and stood up, pulling me into a tight embrace. We held each other, the world around us fading away.


And as we stood there, holding each other close, I knew that despite all the challenges and uncertainties, we had found something truly beautiful together. I looked up at him, my heart full of love.


“I do,”

August 20, 2024 07:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.