2 comments

Fantasy Fiction Science Fiction

A Cat Tale


The tense looking group of men looked up as ‘Doc’ Redding entered the hospital’s waiting area.

John Beck, their Safety Manager, his sixth cup of coffee splashing onto his pants as he jumped to his feet, demanded, “So? What’s the verdict?”

“Catch your breath, John. Looks like we’ve had a miracle.

“Ya’ mean he’s gonna make it?”

“By all rights your man should be dead. That twelve thousand volts melted the steel of his safety boot but didn’t even singe his big toe.”

They all turned hearing a loud voice, shouting, “Doc, we just heard! The highway patrol said Robertson’s dead!”

Glancing at the irate new-comer, he said, “Evening, Ryan. Your guy should be.”

“Damnit doc, what do you to mean?”

“Well, my friend, when your man woke ten minutes ago and I assured him he was very much alive, his response was, “I guess God called me, then changed his mind.’”

The director snapped, “But we got a call from the highway patrol saying he’d been electrocuted!”

The doc chuckled, “Well, aside from couple of scratches, and a red mark on his neck where the arc caught him, he’s fine.”

One of the men said, “Unbelievable! Anybody hit with an arc of that magnitude should be dead.”

Another said, “Damn! We all saw that arc. It blew his safety bucket to pieces!”

Just how the hell did this happen, Jon?” demanded the director.

The safety manager said, “Sir, I think Marty, Rob’s line-partner can explain. Marty?”

Still looking rather shaken, Marty said, “Well, sir… because of the rain and mud, both bucket-trucks had to be close to the utility pole, putting Rob on the side with a ‘hot line.’ When he got up to the problem, he shouted he’d found a poorly mounted Cellnet-box and antenna both mounted right over an open high voltage primary line. He said the ‘hot wire’ was exposed, n’ that the Cellnet wasn’t grounded. We should ‘a called it quits, but Rob said he could work around it. That’s when the gust threw his bucket into the pole, n' right into the Cellnet antenna. He caught the biggest arc ya’ ever saw, n’ his steel safety basket exploded!”

Another man said, “God, sir, the explosion threw Rob from the top of one of our tallest poles!”

“The fall alone would a’ killed an elephant!” said another.

Jon Beck asked, “Doc, any chance we can see him?”

“I guess, but he’s still in a kind of shock,” suddenly catching himself, “Oops, no pun intended.”


Two days later, Rob was returned home. The first thing he asked about was George, his cat. Kenny told him that since they thought he was a goner, his sister, Beth, had taken him home with her.

Later, when she brought George over, there was something odd about the cat. He let Rob pick him up and love him but quickly wanted down, running directly to his cat-tower across the living room. For the rest of the day, he lay perfectly still just watching Rob.

Beth had remarked. “He’s usually all over you when you’ve been away.

Rob said, “Maybe he can smell the ozone from the toasting I nearly got,a lineman’s term causing Beth to shiver slightly.

After she had gone, Rob tried to watch TV but couldn’t concentrate, so he just went to bed.

Awakened early by what sounded like voices, he remembered he had been watching TV and had probably forgotten to turn it off.

As he walked toward the living room, he again thought he heard someone talking. Peering cautiously around the corner he saw the TV was off.

His eyes strayed to his cat, George, sitting stiffly erect as if attentively listening. Then to his amazement, it looked as if George’s mouth was moving.

The big cat suddenly turned. Seeing Rob, he froze in place.

Not believing what he thought he had just seen, Rob moved slowly across the room and reached out as if to touch his friend.

George stared uncomfortably back, suddenly saying, “Guess this seems a bit strange, doesn’t it?”

Rob glanced around looking for the source of the voice– then turned back, completely baffled.

George said, “Why not just take a couple of deep breaths, this is all explainable… I think.”

Convinced he must be walking in his sleep, Rob turned and quickly staggered to the kitchen. Opening a cabinet door, he grabbed for a bottle of Scotch, then a glass. Shaking his head as if hoping he might wake up, he nervously poured.

Then turning to see George still seated where he left him, he tipped the glass up and gulped down its contents. Then, glancing up, seeing George was not where he was seconds before, he again filled the glass and was about to down it, when he heard…’

“We weren’t sure how you’d take this, but we’re not surprised you’re shocked.”

He turned seeing George seated on the top of the refrigerator.

Rob mumbled. “Doc said I might experience some hallucinations, n’ said I might even have PTSD,” raising the glass again.

George implored, “Rob, please. Just try and listen for a minute.”

Rob’s mouth now hung open as George went on, “I assure you friend, this is no hallucination.”

Quickly gulping the drink, Rob mumbled, “They said I might have brain damage from the fall n’ cats just can’t talk.

“This is going to be harder than we thought,” George, mumbled, closing his eyes as if listening.

Quickly pouring another drink, Rob said, “There’s gotta be a way to stop hallucinations. Maybe if I just get good n’ pissed… I’ll just pass out.”

George jumped from the fridge to the counter, then placing an outstretched paw over the glass, saying, “If you’d sit down for a couple of minutes and listen, this can all be explained. We’ve been pals for more than a dozen years, and we’ve shared a lot of what you always called cat-chats.”

Rob’s glazed eyes just stared back.

“Can’t we treat this like just one of those chats”?

Glancing down at the glass in his hand, Rob mumbled, “I was sober then n’ knew we were just doin’ a cat n’ human friendly kinda’ thing. But now, I’m talking to a cat that’s… hell… talking back!”

As he gulped down the entire glass, he slurred, “The shrink at the hoshpitul sed’ what happened might a’ messed up my brain. Boy!” he laughed, “if she was here now,” he laughed, “she’d shee how meshed up I really am.”

Jumping down and trotting over to the couch, George hopped up, saying “Rob, please come n’ sit with me. If you’ll listen for a minute, we’ll try n’ explain what’s happened… and why.”

Glancing at George, then at the empty glass, he shakily put the glass on the counter. Then, staggering into the living room, he awkwardly fell onto the couch, right on George’s tail.

Mreeaw! George screeched, jumping to the safety of the couch’s arm.

Rob mumbled, “Sorry pal, not used to drinkin.’ Really sorry!”

“No damage done. “I just forgot I have a tail.

Rob found this funny and laughed, “For a cat… or whatever the heck you are… you’re funny. I never thought cats had a funny side.”

“Well,” George said, “until a few hours ago, I suppose I thought I was a cat.”

Ok,” Rob laughed, “So, maybe we’re both hallushinating. Guess cats can hallushunate too…”

George cautiously stepped over on to Rob’s right leg, carefully positioning himself as he said, “That’s better. So can we talk now?”

Rob reached and gently scratched George on his back, something he knew his friend loved, then said, “Ok, mistr’ George. Sinsh at the moment, yur’a heck uv’a lot more shober thun me… juss what is thish all aboud?”

George closed his eyes again. Then after a long pause, said, “Ok. The people I’m communicating for are going to do something now that’ll feel strange, but it will sober you up instantly. “You ready?”

Ma’God! It can’t be worsh thun hallushinating all night!”

Suddenly looking as if he might have received an electric shock, Rob sat stiffly upright, eyes bulging slightly. After less than five seconds, he caught a breath and slumped slightly into the high couch back and sighed, “Wow! That’s about like what I felt… yeah! That’s exactly what I felt that morning. Except that time, I thought I’ed died.”

Then turning to George, he whispered… “Am I…?”

No, my friend. You’re very much alive; more so, perhaps than you’ve ever been.

“Ok. And since I am able to think now, you’ve always been my best friend. Except now your….”

“Kinda different, huh?”

Different? You have the distinction of being the world’s first talking tiger tabby. You may call that different… I just call it weird.”

George closed his eyes. Then, in an oddly different voice, said, “Friend, Rob. We shall do our best to explain what we believe has occurred with you, as well as the consequences of its happening.”

Rob smiled slightly, saying, “Ok? Not sure I follow, but since I’m able to think now, I am listening.”

As George’s mouth moved, the voice continued, “We shall endeavor to explain what we believe has occurred.”

Then stretching himself to his full height, his bright green eyes sparkling now with a strange violet glow Rob had never seen before and the voice went, “You see, friend, we exist in different dimensional realities. However, due to an inexplicable warp in quantum dimensional physics, at the moment, we find ourselves able to communicate from our seventh dimensional reality, to you, in your fourth.”

Rob said, “Wait a minute. You say you’re in a seventh dimension… and I’m in a fourth?

“Yes.”

“Oh, yeah. Three dimensions of space… and one of time, right?

“Correct.”

“Ok. So, you’re aliens or… whatever. And since I’ve had some higher education and I’ve read a lot about quantum physics and relativity, I’m really trying to get this. But… I’m sitting in my house, listening to a voice talk– through my cat– about some weird quantum dimensional reality?”

“It is a bit complicated,” the voice said. “However, as near as we can understand, the energetic phenomenon that recently occurred to you, somehow induced a quantum phenomenon seldom if ever experienced in your dimensional reality. It appears that the concentrated energy of the electrical current was of such an order of magnitude, that your fourth dimensional reality matrix was translated, in an inexplicable quantum nano-second into multidimensional quantum-entanglement. In that instant, dimensional differentials were brought into quantum simultaneity. You simply flashed in then out of our dimension, causing an instantaneous reorganization of your biological atomic structure, returning you, instantly to your dimensional plane in an undamaged state-of-being.”

So? That’s it? I just went into some weird other dimensional reality, had some kind of super-healing and returned– alive?”

George said, simply, “Would seem so.”

Tilting his head, curiously, Rob said, “So, how do I rationalize my suddenly having a… talking cat.

George seemed to smile as the voice continued, “Your strange phenomenon, for us at least, voiced a moral responsibility to share our understanding of the phenomenon with you. This required our utilizing your closest ally.”

“Ok, that explains the phenomenon, and the George, thing. But why would such a thing happen to, well… I’m just an average guy?”

“If you will kindly bear with us. A brief study of your kind, your world, and the work with which you are involved, demonstrates that hundreds of workers die during an average year due to accidents such as yours; with thousands of near-electrocutions yearly in your field.”

“I’m familiar with those figures. I just never thought I’ed ever be a near statistic.”

“Actually, the majority of these accidents and deaths could be prevented.”

“I think most of us know that,” Rob said. But there is so much corruption with the people we work for. They post Safety Posters everywhere and are constantly lecturing us to prevent accidents, yet they allow poorly trained people to do installations that cause the very accidents they tell us to avoid.”

George smiled, “Like, for example: the Cell-Net box you discovered, incorrectly installed directly over an unprotected ‘hot’ line?”

Rob said, “Yeah, one of our most frequent complaints to authority. But we’re always told to just ‘work around it,’ since millions of dollars in revenue come from corporations who own the state and local cable and TV companies.”

As Rob’s right hand gently stroking George, he hoped his friend wouldn’t feel the anger and frustration he was personally feeling in that moment.

Just then the phone rang. He turned and picked it up, saying, “Rob here.”

“Good to hear your voice, son. It’s Jon.”

“Hi, guy. Funny, I was just thinking about you.”

“Glad to hear that. The doc said you might have memory problems for a while.”

“Nope. Memory’s sharper than ever.”

“That’s great. How’s George? Bet his missed you.”

Rob glanced over at George who smiled back, a bit like Rob thought a ‘Cheshire cat’ might.

“Actually,” Rob chuckled, “he’s… well he’s been talking my ear off.”

Jon laughed at the supposed joke, then, “Look, I’m over at Kenny Martins. And some of the guys from the South-crew are here. Kenny mentioned that lately he’s really been listening to the things you talk a lot about, and I know you’ve tried to get my ear a few times.”

“So?”

“Well, anything going on with you this morning?”

Rob, smiled, glancing at George, “Nothing you’d find interesting.”

Jon said, “Look. Since your thing the other day a lot of us are really pissed about the dangerous cable and Cellnet installations that are being allowed. We know that’s what caused your… well, thing. And damnit Rob, we’re all madder n’hell. We feel it’s time something got done about it. Can you, I mean are you in good enough shape to come over? Uh, somebody can drive over n’ get you.”

“No problem. I can get there on my own.” Having the strangest feeling, glancing back at the Cheshire-cat grin on George’s face that the ‘other shoe’ was about to drop, he asked, “Just what is this about?”

“Rather not discuss it over the phone. We all feel it’s just time for changes, and well, it’s just… time. We’ll be waiting for you. Ok?”

“Yeah. See you in about, twenty minutes… ok?

Great! You won’t be sorry!”

As he hung up the phone, he couldn’t help hoping he wouldn’t be sorry.”

He said, “Not sure what that’s all about, but guess I should go find out.”

“Of course,” George said. Then, in the other voice, “We have actually been waiting for this.”

Rob looked momentarily stunned. “What do you mean? Waiting… for what?”

George’s yellow tiger stripped continence took on a look with which Rob was more than familiar. Then the voice said, “Your concerns for safety have long been ignored. Jon Beck retires next month, and your friends and colleagues intend to present you as the next choice for the position. They see this as an opportunity for someone to make strides in bringing about important and overdue changes to your line of work.”

“You have an important future, young friend. During your time with your utilities company, you have made some very good friends, all of whom admire your professional approach to what you do. Your concerns for safety have come to the attention of not only your fellow-workers but people in important positions in your company.”

So?”

“There has long been interest in you by the gentleman who is inline as your next Director General. Your current manager is to soon be removed by the board of directors as a poor example of safety and reliable management.”

“You actually know this? How?”

“No matter,” George smiled. The other voice said, “If your friends can convince you to accept the new position, there are so many people behind you that you will advance rapidly into positions where you will do incalculable good.”

“So? You can actually see the future?”

“The future, young friend, has been predicated by your having been born to be a very important part of your country’s progress.”

“But I’m just a guy. I’ve done nothing. I didn’t even get to finish an education. What can I contribute?”

“In your brief twenty-five years, and with the quantum blessing of what occurred to you a few days ago, you are now intellectually and morally aligned with the universal power of creative good.”

As Rob thought about this, George said, “The question is?” His tabby face again smiled in the Cheshire-cat way Rob had noticed earlier; “Are you willing to take a chance on a Cat… being right?’

As Rob stood, he stared affectionately at his friend, then leaned forward, lifted him from his perch, hugging him so tightly, George said, “I love you too, pal, but you’re gonna’ squish me!”

“Sorry,” Rob said, placing him lovingly back on the perch. “I never dreamed that twelve thousand volts of electricity could have such a– pardon the pun– shocking influence on my life.”

George smiled the most loving smile any cat had ever smiled and purring loudly said, “By the time you get back from Kenny’s, you’ll find me as my old self. But I truly hope we can have our friendly ‘cat-chats’ more often.”

Rob s grabbed George’s large, striped face in both hands, kissing him squarely on his nose, chuckling, “You nutty cat! As long as we are together, I’ll always be expecting you to suddenly quote Shakespeare.”

George, smiled knowingly, saying, “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy… Purrrrrrrr.”


In the Land of Serendipity… There are No Accidents!


May 19, 2022 22:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sharon Hancock
01:06 May 28, 2022

I knew I’d love this as soon as I saw”cat” in the title. I have 3 cats now, who I believe talk to me in their own way, usually it’s about snacks and catnip, though instead of quantum physics. 😂My first cat was named George, so this was even more fun. Very fun and interesting read!😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tricia Shulist
14:27 May 23, 2022

Great story. The safety message behind it makes me think that you are close to the problem. And, Who doesn’t love talking cats. Thanks for this.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.