2 comments

Drama Fiction Funny

It was time. Gilda looked up at the clock and counted down the minutes. In a few minutes her best friend, Delta would be here. She was ready. She knew that Delta would not like what she had to say but it needed to be said. Gilda glanced up at the clock one more time before she sat down in her yellow and white reclining chair in the living room. 

Delta got dressed up in her white and blue sundress. It had to be at least ninety degrees outside and it was only May. She dreaded to think how hot it would get in the summer. She grabbed a pair of her white sandals from the closet and took a deep breath before she put them on. She looked in the full length mirror and did a little turn making her sundress swish back and forth. She wondered what Gilda wanted. Gilda had invited her over for lunch. That was not unusual but she never invited her over for lunch on a weekday. Gilda worked around the clock it seemed with her catering business and her teaching job so they always had to have lunch on the second Sunday of the month. They chose that day because Gilda didn’t work on Sundays and neither did she. Delta checked the time on her cell phone and realized that she was running late. 

“Oh no, Gilda is going to kill me. I was supposed to be there ten minutes ago.” She told her cat, Arthur. 

Gilda looked up at the clock on the wall opposite her chair. She felt weird having a clock in her living room since these days not many people still had clocks, especially big clocks like the one she had. Gilda walked to the window and looked out to see if her friend’s car was anywhere near her house. She didn’t see anything or anyone that even came close to looking like Delta or her car. Gilda called her car “The bluesmobile” mostly because it was blue and Delta had it forever and a day. She brought that car when they graduated from college and that was over fifteen years ago. She said she needed a car to job hunt and taking the bus was not going to make a good impression on anyone. Gilda laughed at the thought. Her best friend was a character to say the least. This is why it was going to be so hard to tell her.

“I’m almost there.” Delta said to herself as she made a right turn onto Gilda’s street. 

“As usual there is no parking.” She mumbled. 

Gilda parked her car and walked the half block to Delta’s front door. 

“Hey girl!” Delta greeted Gilda when she entered the house. 

Gilda hugged her friend in the tightest embrace she could muster. She didn’t want to let go.

“Hey, what’s for lunch?” Delta asked.

“Baked chicken, potato salad, green salad, yams, corn, cornbread, greens and lemonade.” Delta said pointing to the spread of food on the kitchen table.

“Dang, Girl, these are all my favorites. You did some cooking today.” Delta sat down across from the chicken and grabbed a drumstick. 

“Can you at least get a plate first before you get chicken all over my tablecloth?” Delta teased handing Gilda a plate and a napkin. 

“I’m starving.” 

“I can see that.” Delta said as she looked at her friend devouring the drumstick.

“I just didn’t ask you over for lunch. I have something to tell you.” Gilda said.

“What? But, first I have to tell you something. This chicken has to be the best chicken I have ever eaten. Did you add something different in the spices? It tastes so good and the potato salad isn’t bad either.” 

“Delta, this is serious.” 

“I’m listening. I can eat and listen too. Go on.” Delta said stuffing a fork full of greens in her mouth.

“Okay, here goes…”

Before Delta could say another word the doorbell rang.

“You expect company. I mean besides me that is cause I am not sharing my lunch.” Gilda laughed. 

“No, I don’t know who this could be.” Gilda went toward the front door and peeked through the peephole. She rolled her eyes and took a deep breath before she opened the door. 

“Hey, hey, sis.” The woman now standing in front of Gilda said with a smile. 

“Zania what do you want?” Gilda asked her baby sister.

Zania stood there dressed in a red jumpsuit and yellow sneakers with a big blue sun hat covering her curls. Every time Zania came around she always wanted to “borrow” money. Money which was never returned. But, since Zania was now here Gilda figured that she could tell both of them her news at one time and spare herself from having to see Zania again.

“Umm, well, I need a favor.” Zania started to say in a whisper. 

“Hey Zania. Girl your sister made the best food I have ever tasted for lunch. You have to taste this chicken.” Delta bursted in the room with a plate containing a chicken wing and some cornbread. 

“I guess I am right on time.” Zania said following Delta to the kitchen.

“Ok, now that you are both here I might as well tell both of you the news.” Gilda said as she watched her best friend and sister devour the food like they hadn’t eaten in days. 

“This is so good. What did you put in this chicken?” Zania asked.

“What I put in the chicken is not important. I have something important to tell you.” 

“Girl, I told you that I can eat and listen at the same time. Continue.” Delta said.

“Ok, here it is…” Gilda tried to continue.

“Oh this is some feast.” Zania said sipping a glass of lemonade.

“Is this Grandma Ginny’s recipe?” Zania asked, still sipping on the lemonade.

“Yes, now listen to what I have to say.” Gilda said.

Before she could say anything else the doorbell rang again.

“It’s like Grand Central Station here today.” Gilda said marching back to the front door.

“Uncle Curtis, what are you doing here?” Gilda asked as she opened the door to find her uncle standing there in his checkered overalls and cowboy boots. 

“Didn’t Zania tell you?” He asked.

“Tell me what?” Gilda asked.

“Oh my! Is that cornbread and greens I am smelling coming out of the kitchen?” Uncle Curtis asked. Before Gilda could answer he was already on his way to the kitchen.

“Yes, but I was trying to tell….” 

“Dang girl this chicken is delicious. Is this Aunt Betty’s chicken?” Curtis asked.

“No, I found it on the internet. Now, if you guys could please put the chicken down and listen up. I have something to tell you.”

“Well, what is it? Cause me and Zania have something to tell you too but you go first.” Curtis said munching on the last chicken wing. 

“Okay, now if I can have your attention.” Gilda said loudly.

She was not planning on telling every relative she had living in a ten mile radius today her news. She had only planned on telling her best friend but here she was standing in her kitchen with her friend, sister and uncle. At least that would be three less people she had to tell. If she could get around to ever telling them that is. 

Zania’s phone rang, a rap song ringtone that Gilda had never heard of. Zania looked at the caller ID and excused herself to go into the other room. A few minutes later she returned to the kitchen. Whoever she was talking to pretty much spoiled her happy mood. 

But, nonetheless Gilda was ready to say her news.

“Before you say what you have to say. Can I say something?” Zania asked.

“I guess so. What do you need to say?” 

“Gilda, I know that I have been a pain in your side ever since I was little.” Zania laughed.

“Well, we all know that.” Gilda said, laughing.

“That’s not what I wanted to say. I wanted to say that I need your help. See, me and Uncle Curtis are planning on buying  a farm right outside of the city and well, we need a small loan for the down payment. We will pay you back. We plan to sell eggs and from our grass fed hens.” 

“Seriously? How are you going to pay me back selling eggs?” Gilda asked.

“We are not only going to sell eggs. We are going to fix it up and make it like an inn and rent out rooms too. We envision a family friendly farm where families can spend the night like a bed and breakfast but at our farm.” Zania said.

“You know this is another ill thought out plan that you and Uncle Curtis have and both of you know that is not going to work just like the vineyard you wanted to buy and make wine and neither one of you knew anything about wine but drinking it. And not to mention the theme park you wanted to buy and turn it into “Curtis World” and I can go on and on. And no, I am not going to loan you any money for any of your ideas which you know will not work out in the end.” Gilda said plopping herself on a chair in the kitchen.

“But, we made a business plan and everything this time.” Uncle Curtis chimed in.

“No, no and no. That’s my final answer.” Gilda said .

“I told you all that I have something to tell you but nobody wants to hear my news.” 

“Gilda, we are listening.” Delta said  sipping on a bottle of water.

“Ok, now here is my news.” Gilda started to say and then her dog, Rufus ran in holding a dead mouse in his mouth. 

Delta screamed so loud that the whole neighborhood probably thought she was getting murdered or something. 

“Oh dam, Rufus.” Gilda said as she led her dog back outside after taking the mouse out of his mouth. 

“I think that dog thinks he is a cat. How come he chases mice.” Gilda asked standing on the kitchen chair holding her chest. 

“You know that Rufus chases almost anything. Now, please get off the chair because I need to tell you something.” Gilda said to her friend.

“You are such a wimp.” Uncle Curtis said to Delta.

“Shut up. I don’t like mice, especially dead ones.” Delta responded climbing down off of the chair.

“Okay, now that the drama is over with Rufus can I please tell you all what I need to say?”

“Oh look at the time. I need to go. I have a date at three.” Delta said looking at her cell phone. 

“But, I need to tell you…” 

“Girl, call me later.” Delta interrupted as she slung her purse over her shoulder and headed for the front door.

“But, this is something I wanted to tell you in person.” 

“I can come back after my date if it's that important.” Delta said as she opened the front door and fanned herself with her hand.

“That’s okay. Go on your date.”

“We have to go too.” Uncle Curtis and her sister said walking to the door.

Gilda never got to say what she was going to say so she took out a pen and some stationery which she kept in her desk in her home office. She started writing.

Dear Family and Friends and Anyone else whom may be interested,

Since I couldn’t seem to get the words out today at lunch I have decided to tell you all this way. By the time you receive these letters in your mailbox via the post office I will be gone. You know how long it takes for the mail to get there. (smile) 

Anyway, before you get the wrong idea and think that I am dying or something let me tell you that I am not dying. Those of you who thought I was please wipe the tears from your eyes now. Tito pass the tissue to Jan. I know you have the tissue out, Tito because you and Jan can cry at the drop of a hat. But, anyway, back to my news. Some of you might think this is good news and some of you might think it is bad news but you know it is what it is. 

I wanted to tell you that I am leaving. I am going on a trip around the world. I always wanted to travel and now I saved up enough money to do so. I want to see the world before I get too old to enjoy myself. But, according to Auntie Grace, you are never too old to have fun. Yes, I know, Auntie Grace. But, I will be gone for probably a year. I am starting with all 50 states first and then I am going to see three or four countries. However many I can with the money I have. 

While I am gone I would like for my oldest sister, Faith, to take care of Rufus. He is a handful but I know that you can take care of him just fine. I will leave instructions on how to care for him for you before I leave. I also would like my best friend, Delta, to watch my house for me. Yes, Delta, you can use my house for your “getaway place” when you need a break from everything. You already have a spare key and I am leaving you a surprise in the fridge. No, not chicken. (ha,ha) 

Well, I think that is it. I will call Delta when I am getting ready to return and I will keep in contact with all of you on my journey. Expect lots of postcards and lots of pictures sent to your phones and emails. I love you all and will miss you. 

Take care. See ya on the flip side.

Love,

Gilda

P.S. Can someone go and tell Aunt Mary about my trip? Someone who has a few hours to hear all her stories. I think that my baby sister should tell her. (LOL) Bye.

April 10, 2021 06:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Victoria Bogatz
13:16 Apr 20, 2021

Great story! I was just dying to know what Gilda was going to say! And seriously, what was in the chicken lol??

Reply

Marcia H.
01:42 May 02, 2021

Glad you liked it. That chicken was was a new recipe from the food network, lol lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.