33 comments

Teens & Young Adult Fiction Sad

Author Disclaimer: Profanity/Mature Content

Now here's the story:


As I'm walking to the store, someone pushes me.


"What the fuck was that for?" I ask.


"You were in my way. Move next time."


People are so fucking rude these days. Which ends up reminding me of my father. He was such a jackass. He was always saying rude shit. Always cussing people out, especially for no reason. Always drinking and driving. Never listened or understood. Did everything out of anger. He was the worst and he was never there. And he was never willing to be there for me.


To me I just wonder, why do people end up becoming parents and they're not even stable themselves. They can't even take care, of themselves. They aren't even nurturing or loving people. I can never get my head around it.


I go into the store to get some groceries to stock up, in the house. I grab the cereal, milk, snacks, candy, poultry, beef, and some TV dinners(and that's when I don't feel like cooking). My mama always told me to eat healthy. So you know what I always do, I grab Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice TV dinners. They got them out there for a reason, right?


I go to the cash register and I wait in line. Then it's my turn to put the food on the carousel. When I'm walking out the door I hear my name.


What the hell?


I turn around to see my ass-hole of a father. Let me get the fuck up out of here. Now!


I walk as fast as I can to my car, but I assume he was running cause he was in front of me before I even got the chance to get to my car.


"What do you want, Jason?" I ask already wanting this conversation to end.


"I want to be your life as your father."


"Well, don't you think that ship has sailed?"


"Well, can I be in your life as your friend?"


"How about this, you don't be in my life at all."


"Christi, I want to be in your life. I'm sober for 4 years and I'm better. I have a job and I have my own house."


"Good for you. If only you had that and where that when I was younger."


I keep walking and once I get to my car, I put the food in the trunk and I get inside.


"Bye, Jason."


I drive home, crying. I hate this shit already. It's been 15 years since I've seen Jason. I always wondered why he left. Was it because I was a horrible daughter? Or the fact I never did anything that he liked? Or was it because I wouldn't let him abuse and rape me? If so, that's not my fault.


It's not my fault that you did that to me, I think.


I never understood him. And my mom was everything to me until she died about 4 years ago. I've always cried myself to sleep, every single night. I always wondered why people end up going through that.


And my experience, lead me to become a prosecutor for sex crimes. I just couldn't let young people and adults go through that. Or face that on there own. I just couldn't do it, so I went to college and graduated and ever since then I've been a prosecutor. My life has been better without him in it. He was just a very toxic person and I couldn't do what he did to me. Not to anyone I love. Not my fiance, Anna or my son, Noah.

My life has been better without him and it always will be.


I walk through the door with a greeting from Anna and a hug from Noah. They are everything to me and I love them.


"Hey hon. How was your day?"


"It was pretty good. " I sit the groceries down on the counter. "Oh, and I won my case."


"But then I went to the store and it went straight to hell. My day, I mean."


"How?"


"I saw Jason."


"Your dad, Jason?"


" Yes, my dad, Jason," I answer, like nah duh.


"Okay, well then, how are you feeling about that situation?"


Oh, my fiance is a therapist. Yea, I know right.


"I was pissed and sad and reliving it all over again."


"And are you still feeling that way now?"


"No, not after seeing you."


Anna smiles and I put her into my arms. Then she gives me a kiss.


"Nasty," Noah says running to his room.


I look at Anna and she looks at me and we just burst into laughter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that day, I got two messages from an unknown number. I read it.


It says: Christi, I need you to listen. You don’t have to respond or talk to me. Just listen.


I miss you so much and I’m so sorry for what I did to you. I’m sorry that I put you through that. I’m sorry that I ruined your life. And I’m working on being better. Like I said I’m 4 years sober and I have a job as a manager at a business firm. I just want to be there for you. Whenever you need me, if you need me. I hope that you can forgive me. (I also got this number from looking you up. I see that you became a prosecutor. Good for you! I’m very proud).


Well, I guess he is taking the step. I send him a message.


I say: Hey, Jason. I ‘listened.’ Now you listen to me. It was fucked up what you did to me and it does mean something to me that you apologized. I am trying to work this out. Trying to give you a second chance, the benefit of the doubt. But if you fuck up that’s you and don’t try to contact me again. Do you understand?


He says: Yes, I understand completely. Thank you!!!


I say: Okay. Come to the McDonald's on 6420 Jackie Lane @ 3:35.


He replies so fast, your head can fly off: I will.


At least, I can see him again and confront him. I really do miss my dad. Even if he is a toxic person.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, at 3 o'clock, I put on some presentable clothes, grab my purse and I go to my car. I get into my car, turn on the radio and I drive off. I make it to the McDonald's and I order me two spicy McChicken's, a vanilla milkshake, and a large fry. I wait at a table and when they call my order, I go to the counter and grab my food. Before I even get to the table, the door opens and Jason walks in.


I got this. I can get through this, I think.


"Over here," I say.


Jason follows the voice, then smiles. He walks toward me and I walk to the table. I put my food down and I start eating.


"Hey, Christi."


"Hey, Jason," I respond after rubbing my mouth. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm willing to have you back in my life, for us to build our relationship. But don't do anything stupid and you won't meet my fiance and son until I see fit."


"I completely understand that," he says.


"Okay."


A minute of silence later, he says:


"I want you to know that I'm sorry for doing the things that I've done to you."


When he finishes the sentence he burst into tears. And that let's me know that he truly is sorry. No need to confront him now. I look down at my food and I grab some fries.


Just forgive him Christi. He is genuinely sorry and from the looks of it, very sad.


I look up, put his face in my hands and I look him deep in the eye and say, "I forgive you."


At the end of the statement, he begins to cry even harder. I get out my side of the booth and walk closer to him. I sit beside him and I give him a gentle hug. I guess toxic people have feelings too.


February 02, 2021 18:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Peter Hood
05:13 Feb 11, 2021

Hi Whitney, welcome aboard. Writing is a lot of fun, and at times we leave a little of ourselves on each page we write. You did and for that I commend you. Great story, keep it up.

Reply

Whitney Jones
14:55 Feb 11, 2021

Aw, thank you!🤓🤓😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
19:45 May 07, 2021

Btw this: https://forms.gle/jqwzfwa9djC2dVQb8 is not in my bio🥲 My own personal quiz is in my bio... speaking of bios I gotta rewrite my bio🙄😂

Reply

Whitney Jones
20:50 May 07, 2021

kk. Alrighty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
20:29 Mar 22, 2021

Sup

Reply

Harr Bear
20:33 Mar 22, 2021

Heyo!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AVAN SHIPECK
13:53 Feb 25, 2021

Hi!!! That was incredible!! Um, who is Noah and Annie??

Reply

Whitney Jones
14:15 Feb 25, 2021

Haylo!! Thank you... And Noah is her son and Annie is her fiance.

Reply

AVAN SHIPECK
14:57 Feb 25, 2021

Okay, thats cool!! Thank you!!

Reply

Whitney Jones
14:59 Feb 25, 2021

Yep and your welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
🄼🄹 🅂
00:43 Feb 24, 2021

For your first short story on Reedsy, this was amazing! Mine was much much worse, trust me. I see so much more in you and I can’t wait to read more of your writing to see you unlock it. Instead of directly saying that the character saw their dad, maybe try describing him first and then showing that they realized who he was. What was he wearing? Did he look different than the last time he walked out of their life? What did his voice sound like? What aisle was he walking down? Little details make all the difference. This was an amazing story t...

Reply

Whitney Jones
16:21 Feb 24, 2021

OMG, thank you!!! I really appreciate the feedback. 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
15:06 Feb 23, 2021

ViCtoRy Is OuRs! Apparently its a challenge where you say it to someone and then have them pass it on. I got it from Varsha who got it from Ame who got it from luna who got it from sapphire who got it from kate who got it from jade who got it from emerald LOL, sorry if its random!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cookie Carla🍪
14:52 Feb 05, 2021

You know what, I think the story fitted the prompt to the "T". I think for your first short story (I'm guessing), you really did a good job. You used a looott of imagery but I know that that's your style of writing so I'm not surprised. Also, you know where you put the break lines? The ones that look like this "_____"? I think if you would have ended them with a sentence talking about the dad being toxic, it would've wrapped all of this up. Overall, good story!!! And congrats on your first Reedsy story!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cookie Carla🍪
16:46 Feb 03, 2021

I updated my bio!!!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
18:01 Feb 03, 2021

Also posted a.... NEW STORY!!! Read my bio first!

Reply

Whitney Jones
21:13 Feb 03, 2021

Alrighty. I will do it now. I forgot to ask what's the name of the story?

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
15:05 Feb 09, 2021

Oh I had a few stories I posted in this past week. The first one was a draft. It's called "The Broken Taillight Dilemma". Then I rewrote the draft in another prompt; it's called "The Speech, My Speech". Then you posted on my most recent that I sent out yesterday, "Noah Adir" which is based on a true story.

Reply

Whitney Jones
15:36 Feb 09, 2021

Yeppur. Oh and I read "The Broken Taillight Dilemma" I finna go read the other one's. Thanks you!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
15:40 Feb 09, 2021

Nos problamos!!! (Ik that made no sense at all :) )

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
18:35 Feb 17, 2021

Aaaaaaah this was so awesome!

Reply

Whitney Jones
14:30 Feb 19, 2021

Aw, thanks Sarah!!!

Reply

Sunny 🌼
14:35 Feb 19, 2021

:D Yw!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.