0 comments

Crime Thriller Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

I whistle as I waltz under the street lamps on my walk back home for the night. The air is bitter but I don’t mind. It’s December in Seattle after all. I spot our house. I couldn’t believe I made it back already. I was too engulfed by my feelings of contentment and ease. I grab my key from my pocket and carefully unlock our front door. “Hopefully she’s asleep,” I think to myself as I creep up the staircase, one stair at a time. As I open the door to our room, I feel an even greater sense of comfort as I see my lovely girlfriend, Nova, fast asleep. I slowly lie down on our bed and whisper her goodnight.

I wake up feeling better than ever. Today is brighter than usual, even though it’s still winter. I know it’s going to be quite a marvelous day. I feel it in my blood. The birds seem to agree with me, chirping in accord. I take my usual morning walk to campus, feeling lighter on my feet and a smile I can’t seem to shake. 

“Good morning Professor Harwood,”says Emily, the receptionist at Crecent Ridge University.

“Good morning Emily! Are you coming out to the dinner party this evening?” I ask.

“Of course wouldn’t miss it,”she says promptly with a grin. 

I walk into my classroom and toss my bag on the desk.

“Good morning to my beautiful ethics students!” I say cheerfully.

“Hope everyone’s in a splendid mood because today were going to be learning about one of my personal favorite mind’s, Albert Camus.” Camus believed in absurdism and rebellion of human existence. He was a solemn believer that ethics is in the hands of the individual and that it is up to us to create meaning and value in our lives. I simply couldn’t agree more. Class was exceptional. 

Dinner this evening was at Le Régale, a pristine steakhouse downtown. I decided to wear classic black tie attire, can’t ever go wrong. After I steamed and ironed my button down, suit coat, and slacks we were ready to go. Nova is commonly bothered by my perfectionism. With my insight, she decided to wear a brilliant emerald green silk dress. She looked striking as ever. 

The steakhouse is just as proper as I remember it. Dimly lit with grand black curtains draped besides the great windows. Grandiose displays of luxury from the intricate chandeliers to the pure ambiance, this place was my opinion of perfection. After we greet everyone and get settled, the lively conversation begins. First about the small things, work, our lives, etc. Then it shifts to the news. 

“Have you guys heard there was another murder recently.” Emily says. The mood shifts. A blanket of sorrow wraps us all. “A family, of four I think, a son and a daughter. They were the Harrison’s, if I recall correctly.”

“That’s awful” and “What a shame”, fill the air as they murmur around the table.

I can sympathize. It is an unfortunate thing. The world would be a much better place if people like that didn’t exist. 

“Those poor families. It’s awful how someone could do something so horrific to someone.” She says sorrowfully. Nova has always been so sympathetic for others. She has a good heart. I love her for that. It makes me believe she sees the world almost the same way I do.

“What do you think Elliot?” Nova asks.

“I like to think they’re in a better place now. Finally at peace.” I reassure her. I do, really. I would say I have a broader perspective than most. Our world has so much corruption, so much poison, so much twisting and contorting of our good human nature. I try to look at it with a more positive note, rather than mournful. Most of the time, unless they’re not right in the head, people only act out on others because someone else did to them, most likely when they were young. How is it their fault if that’s all they know? It’s always just a cycle and the only way to control the cycle is to, well, end it. 

Later that night, as I undress, Nova walks in from the front room holding my jacket. She pulled something out of the pocket. It was a note, a note I had kept. It read, “Dear Santa, please make it all better and make mommy and daddy happy again. Oh and please let us have a big dinner for Christmas. Love, Lily Harrison.”

She stares at me petrified. I stare back.

“It was you wasn’t it?” She whispers in horror. 

I stare back at her. “It’s not like you think.” I try assure her.

“How is it then, huh?” she exclaims inching backwards, fearfully. 

“Did you know what what they were doing to those kids? Those parents were beating their children, they were starving them! If someone didn’t end it now, didn’t do something, the children would’ve grown up and done the same thing to their kids! We need some change in this world, I had to.” I proclaim, looking at her with longing, hoping she can see it the same way I do. Trying to show her my good intention, show her that it’s necessary. 

“How could you say that? You took their lives, their future, any chance they had to change, to get better you stole that from them!” she yells in disgust. 

“What better way can I say it?” I murmer. “They were like maggots feeding of the dead, feeding of their suffering. The others would grow up to be too. I had to end the cycle. It’s for the better, for everyone, for all of humanity. How else would it end?”

“I can’t believe, you of all people? I.. I,” she stammers, “I thought I knew you. You really are pathetic. You think you’re helping but you’ve made it so much worse. You’re no better than them.” She looks at me in repulsion as she slowly backs away. She takes one last look at me before she scoffs and turns out the door. I try offer her an apologetic smile. I let her go. After a moment, I step outside too. It’s unfortunate she can’t see it the way I do, a real pitty. “Oh well, sometimes you have to take things into your own hands”, I thought to myself as I casually step down the porch. I don’t see where Nova went. I don’t really mind. I wish she could see things the same way I do, I really do, but she doesn’t. I’ll find someone who does. I prance down the sidewalk with a certain pep in my step watching the street lights flicker as I walk beneath them. I take a deep breath and sigh. And so, it’s up to me to end the cycle yet again. 

July 27, 2024 00:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.