5 comments

Happy Historical Fiction Western

Once upon a time, there lived a king in a place called Hemsworth. His name was Macmillan. He had the genius of a great Mathematician. He was praised by many of the people in his kingdom. He conducted mathematical quizzes for his courtiers and extended rewards to them. One day he asked them a mathematical question, “If Peter has 23 horses and Johnson has 31 horses, how many horses will they have in common?” All the people in the kingdom were perplexed but could not answer.

He had a brother, named Francis who was wiser than him and got greater praises than himself. Macmillan loved his younger brother very much. But one thing that crosses his mind was a feeling of low esteem, for Francis surpasses his brother in intelligence. Unrevealed ever, Macmillan always respects the commands given to his people by Francis. 

Macmillan has become the king after the mother Queen’s demise. On the other hand, Francis is an aspiring prince, who may be the future king. But he never was thirsty or greedy of the throne. He respected his brother Macmillan’s advice as needs were. When their mom was alive, she had a vow that on the stepping down of King Macmillan, the younger one will be crowned. This, the entire kingdom bore by word.

Before the ill Queen left the world, she wanted to make Macmillan the king of Hemsworth. The ceremony of the crowning of Macmillan took place with great pomp and celebration. The crown was made of the jewels owned by the mother. Although the king’s family could afford new ones, the mother decided the crown be embedded with her jewels. The princes and kings from the neighboring kingdoms were called for the grand celebration. This was the grandest celebration the palace ever witnessed.

One day the king announced, “I have put in a lot of effort all these days to maintain the calm and peace of the kingdom. I can no longer. I wished my brother would take up the duties of the palace. I want to rest.” Although everyone was eager to see their new king, one gentleman, their father Andrew was dissatisfied. He wanted his elder son to be the owner of the throne for as long as it can be. 

He feared that the younger son was very soft that he would be a lenient king and that his rule would be a risk to the kingdom. The same was predicted by a soothsayer during his birth that he would bring about ruin to the family and kingdom. However, the elder son Macmillan was unaware of this prophecy.

The older king, Macmillan started to arrange for the ceremony. To speak of a fact, the kingdom was a small place. The ceremony could not be as grand in comparison to that of the elder prince, Macmillan. When their mother was alive, she made everything fine.

Although King Macmillan announced his retirement, he laid a condition that the younger one had to resolve a dispute in the palace. If the judgment was right, Francis could become the king of Hemsworth.

The day of the dispute came and what was it? Two of the cooks in the palace were fighting over the stealing of a bread loaf kept on the kitchen table. The cooks were worried. The king’s father Andrew placed an order for a quick breakfast that morning and it was bread and butter but oh, the essentials would arrive nowhere. Now, what were they to do?

Breakfast was to be served in ten minutes. The head cook could not find the bread loaf. How could they tell this to the king? They would be punished for not performing their duty on time. They did not even dare inform him either. King Macmillan apart from being a great Mathematician and a kind man, was a difficult king.

To be secure, the cooks started to confide and argued and put the blame on each other. A message was sent to the head cook to present himself before the king and in an instance, the cook appeared. “Benson, what’s the problem?”

The breakfast was supposed to be served at 6:30 and it’s 7:00 and ‘his Highness’ the king has not been able to get his breakfast yet.

The innocent cook bowed in helplessness. The same question was put to the other cook. And he was not able to answer either. King Francis was summoned so he can resolve the dispute. 

Then prince Francis asked the first cook, “Did you see the bread among the goods?

“I saw the goods together in the royal kitchen, “your highness” but it was a long search until I found the bread loaves missing.”

“Did you unpack them, Johnson?”

“I did not unpack the goods, your Highness. Benson did it,” answered Johnson in a quivered voice.

“Then where is the loaf of bread? You did not see it either. You imagined having seen it like every day. Seems like the porter did not dispatch the bread loaves,” prince Francis reasoned out. 

Just then, a message came from a messenger.

“May I know where you are coming from?” said the prince.

The messenger replied it was from the farmer. The wheat got wet due to rains in the village and there was no flour for the bread.

Then prince Francis said the cooks have been relieved from punishment since it was not their fault for the missing loaf of bread. 

Immediately a command was given by prince Francis to the head cook to prepare breakfast for their father with other provisions available at the earliest. King Andrew was proud of his younger son.

Macmillan and the courtiers were puzzled at the resolution. Macmillan himself wanted to be quickly decisive like his brother and envied he didn’t possess it himself. He loved his brother very much that he crowned him the next day with the flashing of fireworks and a big banquet. 

The father, as a forethought, revealed to Macmillan the prophecy of the younger brother. Always, Francis wanted to be like his brother and walked in the footsteps of his brother, now he got what he wanted. 

Macmillan would be a support to his brother, especially because of the prophecy. The two brothers lived a life of celebration with understanding although they envied each other and wanted to be like each other.

July 31, 2022 03:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Graham Kinross
13:15 Jul 31, 2022

I was hoping for the answer to the mathematical problem about the horses, how many do they have in common? You know MacMillan is usually a surname? It’s nice reading so many Scottish names, I’m in Tokyo now but I’m from Scotland. Nice story Pradeepa.

Reply

12:00 Aug 01, 2022

Thank you for liking my story Graham. In age-old days, Math was new. We know what the answer is in the contemporary generation. It's 23 horses. And kings and queens were not alone named by their surnames but by their qualities. A father king or mother queen would want the child to be great and anticipate the same from the child and so the name comes up.

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:11 Aug 01, 2022

So there are only 31 horses between both of them?

Reply

00:36 Aug 02, 2022

No. There are 23 horses between them. If you gather the horses on either side, making twenty three each, in the first set you will have 23. In the second set you will have 23 horses with 8 horses separated. Hence 23 horses in common.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:20 Jul 31, 2022

It's about two brother kings who compete with intellect. They love each other despite being greater than the other.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.